Author Topic: NNNOOOOOOOOOOooooo!!!!!!!! - Bacon Shortage Deemed Unavoidable  (Read 6759 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
NNNOOOOOOOOOOooooo!!!!!!!! - Bacon Shortage Deemed Unavoidable
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »
Global bacon shortage unavoidable.

Forget the gold and silver - I'm stocking up on pigs!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/bacon-sausage-shortage_n_1909609.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:59:18 PM »
Only the beginning. Unfortunately.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »
Stop it!  Stop it!!  Tell me it ain't so!!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:23:48 PM »
Looks like we need to open the Bacon Shortage Mitigation Center at Iowa State University.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »
Calm down, everybody.

We still have PLENTY of wild, free range autonomous bacon out there across the land. In some states you can even hunt such bacon from helicopters.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:00:49 AM »
Calm down, everybody.

We still have PLENTY of wild, free range autonomous bacon out there across the land. In some states you can even hunt such bacon from helicopters.

I can't be sure whether or not I'm happy there aren't any feral pigs in this area...On the one hand, our crops aren't destroyed by them, on the other, no free bacon.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:07:40 AM »
These are just lies spread by the enemy of the people, Mitt Romney. The Lord Obama, Most Merciful, has plenty of bacon for us in his Stash.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:08:30 AM »
Of course, it's soy bacon.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 01:34:37 AM »
I'm good  =D.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »
New data shows the European Union pig herd is declining at a significant rate, and this is a trend that is being mirrored around the world. Pig farmers have been plunged into loss by high pig-feed costs, caused by the global failure of maize and soya harvests. All main European pig-producing countries report shrinking sow herds.

Some U.S. farmers have taken to extreme measures to feed their livestock and save money at the same time, including one Kentucky farmer who fed his cattle candy "just to survive."

Read that last paragraph carefully.  Does anybody else recall a certain scene/passage in Unintended Consequences?  Something about a pig farm was mentioned there.

Now recall "A Modest Proposal" and consider whether or not pigs can ultimately produce more bacon than could be obtained from following the original proposal.

Now consider the continuing outrage of the general public over the high costs of lifetime incarceration of criminals.

This may be the one time that APS would vote to apply for a federal grant.  You know, to demonstrate that there is a way to preserve the worl's continuing supply of bacon.  Heck, we could even propose to do our research in China - a hidden agenda of removing the balance of trade/credit deficit?

The only hitch I see in this plan is that it could possibly require collaboration between me and MrsSmith.  Are we willing to risk a tear in the space/time continum?  Remember, it's for the bacon.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »
I'm good  =D.

Alright everybody let's meet up at RKL's house since he appears to be well stocked with a supply of bacon.  :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »
Its a good thing we use food products to produce fuel products.  Who's ready for E15?   :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:06:29 AM »
Alright everybody let's meet up at RKL's house since he appears to be well stocked with a supply of bacon.  :P

My hog pen is currently empty but I do have 2 gilts reserved for next week. I still have about a 5-6 month supply of pork in the freezers though.

In all seriousness though I may have to take extra security measures to protect this next batch. The pen is just about 75 yards from the back deck, my wife can make that shot almost as good as I can.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »

Bacon is down because feed prices are up. US and EU cut their forecasts, drastically, due to the drought. So very bad corn crop, combined with turning massive amounts of corn into fuel... 

Everyone from farmers to the UN is begging the US to suspend the ethanol fuel requirements. The meat producers are screaming their head off. Oil companies are pissed, because ethanol gets more and more expensive. The corn lobby thinks the whole situation is friggin awesome. Corn prices are set for the rest of this year. Fuel companies bought their ethanol already. But, cutting ethanol in fuel requirements would be very important if next year has drought issues as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/opinion/mcdonald-corn-ethanol/index.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/07/19/157044950/as-drought-kills-corn-farmers-fight-over-ethanol

There's a real possibility of the combination hippy/corn lobby killing a lot of folks by burning all that food. US is the breadbasket of the world. Because grains are a staple, EVERY other food gets more expensive. Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, eggs, fats and oils, cereals and dairy products
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 10:12:25 AM »
Everyone from farmers to the UN is begging the US to suspend the ethanol fuel requirements.

And the *expletive deleted* .gov is going to say "Nope, we're not only keeping ethanol requirements we're bumping them up. We're not only gonna stay *expletive deleted* retarded, we're gonna increase the 'tard factor!"

Ethanol is the devil. It tears up *expletive deleted*it, costs more, and is just all around STOOPID.

I can't wait until the .gov mandates E-85 and phases out regular fuel so that we all have to buy those damn stupid flex fuel vehicles.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »
Read that last paragraph carefully.  Does anybody else recall a certain scene/passage in Unintended Consequences?  Something about a pig farm was mentioned there.

Now recall "A Modest Proposal" and consider whether or not pigs can ultimately produce more bacon than could be obtained from following the original proposal.

Now consider the continuing outrage of the general public over the high costs of lifetime incarceration of criminals.

This may be the one time that APS would vote to apply for a federal grant.  You know, to demonstrate that there is a way to preserve the worl's continuing supply of bacon.  Heck, we could even propose to do our research in China - a hidden agenda of removing the balance of trade/credit deficit?

The only hitch I see in this plan is that it could possibly require collaboration between me and MrsSmith.  Are we willing to risk a tear in the space/time continum?  Remember, it's for the bacon.

stay safe.

Long-pig bacon?   >:D  That might work...
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
The trouble with Long Pig Bacon is it may have come from a Progressive which infests the eater with a brain worm that makes one want to start voting Democrat. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ned Hamford

• friend
Bacon Shortage Deemed Unavoidable
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/la-fi-mo-pork-bacon-shortage-20120924,0,6240960.story?track=rss

That soy nonsense has increased the price of pig feed, so farmers unable to afford it had had fewer pigs... not enough bacon to meat demands... so the question of course for all matters of shortage... who wants it the most?

>:D

:cooks bacon while he has it:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Bacon Shortage Deemed Unavoidable
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 06:03:52 PM »
So you're pigging out right now ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 06:05:38 PM »
I predict bacon riots.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »

stay safe.

I'm seeing stars at the very notion. But, I suppose I could be persuaded to assist, for the sake of others here who don't have wild boar in excess like we do here in Georgia.  =D 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
Now if more people pastured pigs, there would be more bacon, but no, the few packers in the pork industry want confinement hogs. X number of hogs on X day, no sale auctions anymore.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:09:02 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »
Also many hog producers don't even grow their own pig rations.

Uranus is a gas giant.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
The trouble with Long Pig Bacon is it may have come from a Progressive which infests the eater with a brain worm that makes one want to start voting Democrat. :P

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you pay attention to the cooking time and temperature guidelines.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
We'll burn our food in the gas tank. OPEC should eat their oil. All you anti-free trade folks wanted a trade war, well this is about as close to the death of war as you can get without shooting.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!