Author Topic: Men and housework  (Read 4984 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: Re: Men and housework
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
I've caught myself using trigger safety on spray bottles.

Sent via tapatalk

I index on everything with a trigger.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Men and housework
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »
housework?  what is this housework?  i haz wife
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 06:25:22 PM »
*snort* it's because everyone has diffrent ways of doing certain things and one person is more of a control freek about it then the other (usually the chick) and thus the battle begins. Everyone has a little OCD about something.
Yeah. Women tend to be bigger neatness freaks than guys. Not that men have no standards of neatness, it's just a lesser one than women... aside from my erstwhile true wuv, Tampon Girl, who like to leave used samples around the place. It took great strength of character to avoid collecting these specimens and freezing them in her ice tray.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 06:28:01 PM »
housework?  what is this housework?  i haz wife

Yeah, she doesn't mow the lawn - and I don't worsh dishes  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:40:46 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
Yeah. Women tend to be bigger neatness freaks than guys. Not that men have no standards of neatness, it's just a lesser one than women... aside from my erstwhile true wuv, Tampon Girl, who like to leave used samples around the place. It took great strength of character to avoid collecting these specimens and freezing them in her ice tray.

I'm less of a neat freek and more of an order freek. Clean is always relative, but stuff that should be "put away" and how it's put away drives me crazy.
And yes, I stack and sort stuff based on size or color, like the spice bottles on the back of the counter. Taller bottles in the back, shorter bottles up front, lined up and squared off.
The flatwear drives me nuts. Dad will just throw all the spoons in one slot and all the forks in a diffrent slot. I sort them between dinner forks, salad forks, tablespoons and little spoons and stack them in each group.

Obviously, however, used tampons belong in the wastebasket in the bathroom, wrapped in toleit paper. Anyway else is  [barf]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
Honestly, I think the article I posted is onto something. I do too much, she feels "guilty" and it chills the relationship.

I don't do enough, she feels put-upon and it chills the relationship.

There is no middle ground.

And there is also the whole factor of cleaning the pool, mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, raking/blowing leaves, fixing things around the house all conveniently somehow magically not being "work" and put into some other category of "play projects and not doing the stuff she thinks is important".

I promise not to duck.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 09:11:23 PM »
I do the vast majority cooking and laundry, about half of the dishes, but little of the cleaning. 
My wife claims that there is a servant class in America -- they are called "husbands," but
she manages to be cute and appreciative while saying it.

On the other hand, I am quite gimpy, so she mows the lawn and walks the dog.  I really miss the latter.

My first wife, from some other unspecified part of Asia, walked out after 20 some years giving as her only reason that I did not meet her houses keeping standards. She was not so cute and certainly not appreciative when she said it.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »
Cleaning is kind of my hobby.
I like things clean, neat, and orderly.
I'll tolerate mess-making stuff from my critters that I'd never stand for from a human.
I'm not quite sure why that is, but I'm cool with it.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

HankB

• friend
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »
I don't mind cleaning....I even do the bathrooms & laundry myself. But I won't dust....don't know why, but I can't make myself dust. My last apartment looked like a set from ELVIRA, THE MOVIE.....according to my wife.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 10:28:01 PM »
Honestly, I think the article I posted is onto something. I do too much, she feels "guilty" and it chills the relationship.

I don't do enough, she feels put-upon and it chills the relationship.

There is no middle ground.

And there is also the whole factor of cleaning the pool, mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, raking/blowing leaves, fixing things around the house all conveniently somehow magically not being "work" and put into some other category of "play projects and not doing the stuff she thinks is important".

Yeah, see, I never understood that. I always figured you split chores based on who was best at what and who hated something least.
If dude likes mowing the lawn, he can mow the lawn (i hate it) so I'll do laundry (don't mind so much). I figure no one in there right mind wants me fooling with stuff like plumbing or ladders, the first will likely result in flooding, the latter, a trip to the er, but I can keep the dog groomed and the house clean and whatnot, so even trade.

I figure, two people living in one house, most times it's easier to devide and conquer when it comes to the crap that has to be done.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »
Did I mention that I now have an actual  German immigrant cleaning lady? *neener*
Like H&K, "You suck and we hate you."  :P :P

A really good argument the WINO and I had was one time when I came inside with a nice cold beer from the fridge in the garage in hand, and she started to complain to me about how I didn't help her around the house.  Granted I had spent most of the day avoiding housework by trimming the bushes, cutting and trimming the yard, edging the driveway, picking up tree branches (and breaking them into fireplace usable lengths, along with neatly stacking), weeding the flower beds and trimming the GD willow tree.

I bet I probably could have walked on a justifiable homicide plea....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:00:56 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »
Like H&K, "You suck and we hate you."  :P :P

A really good argument the WINO and I had was one time when I came inside with a nice cold beer from the fridge in the garage in hand, and she started to complain to my about how I didn't help her around the house.  Granted I had spent most of the day avoiding housework by trimming the bushes, cutting and trimming the yard, edging the driveway, picking up tree branches (and breaking them into fireplace usable lengths, along with neatly stacking), weeding the flower beds and trimming the GD willow tree.

I bet I probably could have walked on a justifiable homicide plea....

At least temperary insainity.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »
Doing the dishes is better than sitting with my cook wife, watching that dancing show.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »
At least temperary insainity.

Or "Bitch had it coming... "

=D

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:03 PM »
I'd like an actual partnership. Some level of balance. If you are earning the income, doing the bulk of the work, etc... What's the point of getting or staying married?

Not sure if serious...

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 01:26:32 AM »
I like doing the dishes, because then I know they're clean.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 05:26:22 AM »
And yes, I stack and sort stuff based on size or color, like the spice bottles on the back of the counter. Taller bottles in the back, shorter bottles up front, lined up and squared off.
The flatwear drives me nuts. Dad will just throw all the spoons in one slot and all the forks in a diffrent slot. I sort them between dinner forks, salad forks, tablespoons and little spoons and stack them in each group.
My spices almost always live on the counter, at least ones I use frequently in their daily use sizes. The bulk boxes live in the cabinet to refill the smaller vessels as needed.  Just as God intended.

Drives my wife batty, but she doesn't cook. The most I can get out of her in the occasional sammich or something that comes from the nuke machine. My kitchen, my damned rules.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »
If you are earning the income, doing the bulk of the work, etc... What's the point of getting or staying married?

Not sure if serious...

Of course he's serious. Yes there are times when one or the other in a marriage has to carry the majority of the load, for various reasons. But over the long haul, there has to be some balance. I was running a business, keeping the kids in line, keeping the house clean, keeping us all fed, fixing whatever was broken, and he sat on the couch drinking beer and popping pain pills with the occasional trip out to the shed to smoke a joint.

In one breath he'd ask me to do/fix/make something and in the next breath, his response to my impatience was, "You treat me like one of your employees! You're not the head bitch in charge in this house." Oh yeah? Then man the *expletive deleted*ck up and share some of the load. So yeah, Fistful, that doesn't make for a pleasant marriage. Balance and equality are important.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
I wish I'd been with y'all that last 18 months of my marriage. I would have been far more amused with the situation!

On a cleaning note. I'm mostly good with pink and blue chores. I'd prefer to do the bulk of the cleaning/laundry/general duties around the house and my garden is my garden. I'm somewhat particular in that I don't want to walk across the kitchen floor barefoot and step in sugar or coffee grounds or whatever. On the other hand, if you spill sugar on the floor and don't bother to sweep it up, I'm either going to say something to you or you'll find it in your coffee cup in the morning.

The two things I hate doing above all else are dishes and cleaning the bathroom. I prefer a fair trade system in the kitchen - if I cook, you wash. If you cook, I wash. I'm a pretty neat cook and usually clean up as I go so there really isn't much on the other end. However, if you're a really messy cook and it takes me an hour when you're done to clean up your mess, well, I'm gonna forgot to clean up as I go the next time I cook.

Bathroom - you're cleaning the toilet and the floor. I'll do the rest of the bathroom. That's non-negotiable.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:40 AM »
I'm off today and just watched the cleaning lady do the house, does that count?

Only if she was wearing this

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »
Only if she was wearing this

Don't trust her.  I would definitely watch her like a hawk  ;)  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »
if you spill sugar on the floor and don't bother to sweep it up,

I have a dog.  He sucks up every food and dirt molecule there is on the floor.
Dog = Floor  :police:

=D =D

you'll find it in your coffee cup in the morning.

I don't drink coffee.  :P

Oh, and Bedlamite, you can have the outfit.  I'll take what's inside... >:D >:D ;) ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »
Of course he's serious. Yes there are times when one or the other in a marriage has to carry the majority of the load, for various reasons. But over the long haul, there has to be some balance. I was running a business, keeping the kids in line, keeping the house clean, keeping us all fed, fixing whatever was broken, and he sat on the couch drinking beer and popping pain pills with the occasional trip out to the shed to smoke a joint.

In one breath he'd ask me to do/fix/make something and in the next breath, his response to my impatience was, "You treat me like one of your employees! You're not the head bitch in charge in this house." Oh yeah? Then man the *expletive deleted* up and share some of the load. So yeah, Fistful, that doesn't make for a pleasant marriage. Balance and equality are important.

I'm married, and I could see how that could be a real problem. It just seems like RevDisk is saying that people get married (or should get married) because they need help with housework and finances.