Author Topic: Romney calls Tesla and Fisker losers...  (Read 4611 times)

drewtam

• friend
Romney calls Tesla and Fisker losers...
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »
Here is what a good auto industry site has to say...
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/romney-dubs-tesla-fisker-as-losers-as-tesla-issues-stock-to-stay-afloat/

I think Romney jumped the gun a little calling Tesla a loser, or implying it will fail. Tesla is neither dead in the water nor thriving. Its a wait and see moment. I expect jumping the gun on that company will come back to bite him, but probably not before Nov.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Romney calls Tesla and Fisker losers...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:25:54 AM »

For a second there, I thought he insulted Tesla the inventor. If so, I was about to lose my gorram mind. 

Unfortunately, he has a point. While I'd like Tesla Motors to succeed, if the government is prop'ing them up...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »
The Tesla Model S - their cheapest S version with the smallest battery - lists for about $50,000, after the $7500 Federal electric car rebate is applied. Their top of the line S model is about twice that.

That's pricey for a sedan - and the market is only a small niche.

Factor in the uncertainty of future (or even current) parts and service from a company with questionable finances and no real dealer network, and you can judge for yourself what their chances of success are in the new car market.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
Reading the article, I'd say Mitt is on the money. 
And for the record....how many solar companies has Obama invested in that have failed spectacularly? 
http://www.dividedstates.com/list-of-failed-obama-green-energy-solar-companies/
I'm no Mitt fanboi, but at least when it comes to economic central planning I've got way more faith that he won't be tossing billions down the failing business rabbit hole.
I predict he'd likely blow as much coin, but at least on successful businesses.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
Tesla is a car company that seems to be providing vehicles to the rich, liberal, feeling guilty about their wealth segment of the market.

I may have three households and a huge carbon footprint due to my wealth, but I make sure and recycle plus I drive a Tesla! Save the planet!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
No matter how they try, no matter how much (tax) money they get, they simply can't beat physics and chemistry.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »

I predict he'd likely blow as much coin, but at least on successful businesses.

Likely. Despite all the similarities between Obama and Obama-lite, at least Mitt actually has experience with real businesses.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »
They would have already failed if it wasn't for a weighted playing field beig provided by the government. The only shame in the GM Volt program is that it is not, by itself, big enough to destroy GM again. But I have faith they'll find a way. Anyone with balls would put GGM into  the winners and losers discussion, right along with the too big to fail brokerages.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
Tesla is a car company that seems to be providing vehicles to the rich, liberal, feeling guilty about their wealth segment of the market.

I may have three households and a huge carbon footprint due to my wealth, but I make sure and recycle plus I drive a Tesla! Save the planet!

Spot on.

Ben Affleck and Sean Penn and Lindsay Lohan need to have something cool to drive.   It's only fair that We the Put Upon subsidize it.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »
The $7.5k will eventually phase out. Most of the Tesla benefit is the DOE loans, which if they are a successful venture, will be paid back.

The point is that if this company is eventually successful, the amount spent on it by gov't will be budgetary pocket change. Is it the role of gov't to be a venture capitalist? No. But this is not the best example of investment failures if it turns into a successful company that helps transform transportation.

The big 5 are: Soc Sec, Medicare/aid, DoD, Interest on debt, and everything else.

Cutting the first 3 will reduce #4. Then start talking about everything else.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 07:55:14 AM »
The big 5 are: Soc Sec, Medicare/aid, DoD, Interest on debt, and everything else.

Cutting the first 3 will reduce #4. Then start talking about everything else.
You are aware that Social Security is currently in actuarial surplus, don't you, and isn't expected to go into the red for a couple of decades? There's a structural problem down the road that is best addressed now, but it's hardly kosher to blame SS for today's fiscal problems simply because the program is a creditor that needs to be paid back.

Medicare - especially the Bush medicare drug plan, funded with perpetual borrowing - is a problem.

Medicaid is even more problematic, as it's an unearned entitlement - a pure giveaway.

DOD is about 19% of the Federal budget . . . my concern there isn't so much the amount, but "bang for the buck."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
How does SS run a surplus, when it all goes into the general budget, and the general budget is running a deficit? :facepalm:
Don't tell me SS payroll taxes are special for SS, when it all goes into the general gov't slush fund. That's just Enron accounting.

Even only balancing the SS vs its "special" payroll taxes, the program is still in the red.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/5/social-security-red-first-time-ever/
That was written in 2010. That rosy economic expectations did not pan out, it never went black. So that is current and future debt.

At the end of the day, we've collected tax revenue at about 17-20% of GDP since WW2, plus change in debt yields total cash inflow. The big 5 consumers are Soc Sec, Medicare/aid, DoD, Interest on debt, and everything else.

This is deficit as % of GDP. Integrate (add up) the area under the curve to get total debt. Any % less than inflation rate, causes total debt to gdp to fall.

This plot is useful for showing how much tax revenue is augmented by new debt, year by year. One can easily see WW1, GD, WW2, and the current GD2. Which we have attacked with 2x as much deficit spending compared to GD1. Was it 2x more effective than Hoovers and Roosevelt's GD deficit spending? It certainly feels like we have had a softer landing. But we also came off a higher level of wealth. So it is hard for me to judge. Unfortunately, the constant debt run from 1980 to 1998 piled up a huge amount of debt. [Lower percent over a longer time equal same area under the curve.] So we don't have much head room to sustain any deficit spending before having a public debt crisis like the current private debt crisis.

So bottom line...

It all has to be cut... SS, MediX, DoD, & Everything else.  But the big 3 need to be reformed first; they are the most critical to a balanced budget and balance budget cannot be achieved without those 3.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »
So bottom line...

It all has to be cut... SS, MediX, DoD, & Everything else.  But the big 3 need to be reformed first; they are the most critical to a balanced budget and balance budget cannot be achieved without those 3.

What if we simply cut everything that isn't expressly authorized by the Constitution and Amendments and freeze the authorized things at their current spending levels? Radical idea, I know.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »
KGB, I agree with you ideologically. I'm trying to lay out the pragmatic case as well, for those who don't agree with the ideology, or don't care.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »
KGB, I agree with you ideologically. I'm trying to lay out the pragmatic case as well, for those who don't agree with the ideology, or don't care.

Pragmatism is what had gotten us here.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
How does SS run a surplus, when it all goes into the general budget, and the general budget is running a deficit? :facepalm:
Don't tell me SS payroll taxes are special for SS, when it all goes into the general gov't slush fund. That's just Enron accounting.
The national debt has two components - public debt and intragovernmental debt. SS is the largest component of intragovernmental debt. Politicians only like to talk about budget deficits by considering public debt, but if you look at the national debt year by year, you'll see that even when the budget was "balanced" under Clinton, the national debt continued to increase, giving the LIE to the assertions of a balanced budget.

Here's some history of the national debt - note the TOTAL NATIONAL DEBT under the Clinton "balanced budget" years continued to increase:
http://treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt_histo4.htm
http://treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt_histo5.htm

You are most certainly NOT balanced when you end up deeper in a hole at the end of the year than when you started.

Essentially, there's a special class of Treasury debt instruments for SS use - these are promises to pay back the money borrowed. (You might say pirated) from the SS trust fund. I believe SS may have begun redeeming these instruments now, in much the same way an individual may redeem a savings bond or treasury bill. There are enough of these debt instruments outstanding that, when combined with current receipts, SS can continue paying retiree and other benefits under current plans until sometime in the 2030s, unless Fed.gov defaults.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »
Essentially, there's a special class of Treasury debt instruments for SS use - these are promises to pay back the money borrowed. (You might say pirated) from the SS trust fund. I believe SS may have begun redeeming these instruments now, in much the same way an individual may redeem a savings bond or treasury bill. There are enough of these debt instruments outstanding that, when combined with current receipts, SS can continue paying retiree and other benefits under current plans until sometime in the 2030s, unless Fed.gov defaults.

Yes, I am well aware of that, hence my Enron accounting comment. From my point of view, its just a shell game to say "intragov't debt". Its like setting up shell companies to show to absorb all the losses while the main company only show profit. Eventually these kinds of shenanigans collapse due to cold hard reality.

The gov't has tax revenue and it has expenditures. The expenditures exceeds the tax revenue and requires debt issuance to cover the gap. SS is a major part of that expenditure that we have not been able to afford for nearly 30yrs.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45:36 PM »
Yes, I am well aware of that, hence my Enron accounting comment. From my point of view, its just a shell game to say "intragov't debt". Its like setting up shell companies to show to absorb all the losses while the main company only show profit. Eventually these kinds of shenanigans collapse due to cold hard reality.

The gov't has tax revenue and it has expenditures. The expenditures exceeds the tax revenue and requires debt issuance to cover the gap. SS is a major part of that expenditure that we have not been able to afford for nearly 30yrs.
SS has been bringing in more money than its been paying out for a long time; it's been an immense cash cow for fed.gov. But . . . it's decades worth of spending on OTHER programs that has run up todays national debt.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »

If it all goes into the general fund, then there is no such thing as a special SS tax, no SS tax surplus, no SS lockbox.

SocSec does not bring in anything, its just another expenditure out of the general fund, paid by general tax revenue.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
Too bad too many people believe the bunkum rather than drewtam's simple and brief recitation of reality.

A triumph of mendacity by policritters and hope by citizens, I guess.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »
. . . SocSec does not bring in anything, its just another expenditure out of the general fund, paid by general tax revenue.

So intragovernmental debt is imaginary - it doesn't exist.

The social security with holding on paychecks is an illusion - it's not real.

The matching payments by employers for SS are a fairy tale.

And SS has always been a loser, a net expenditure, despite the silly people & companies who think they pay separate SS taxes, and the legions of liars in government who claim to be borrowing against SS.

Clearly, everything - everything! - to the contrary, whatever the source (such as what's posted at http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/fundFAQ.html ) is utterly false.

I'm glad that's been settled.  :facepalm:

erictank

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 05:49:07 AM »
The Tesla Model S - their cheapest S version with the smallest battery - lists for about $50,000, after the $7500 Federal electric car rebate is applied. Their top of the line S model is about twice that.

That's pricey for a sedan - and the market is only a small niche.

Factor in the uncertainty of future (or even current) parts and service from a company with questionable finances and no real dealer network, and you can judge for yourself what their chances of success are in the new car market.

And it's REALLY easy, apparently, to bork the battery PERMANENTLY. Which is a $40K, out-of-warranty replacement cost in the ~$100K vehicle.
http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem
Although apparently their two newer models are less prone to bricking, it's still a concern - and one which cannot be covered by insurance, according to what I've read.

I'd love it if these comapnies succeeded. Current conditions seem to suggest that they are not there yet.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »
 ;/
You're being intentionally obtuse to the fact that those taxes, lockboxes, and debt accounting are just shell games and Enron accounting. When the gov't plays Enron accounting games, they and everyone else can say that these monies exist and have the paperwork to show it; but technicalities and paper games do not mean that the money is there. Reality is cold and uncaring to Enron accounting, and that money has been gone for 30yrs, and is just another expenditure driving the debt.

How many times do I have to explain that before you will engage the facts rather than fighting strawmen?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 03:12:36 PM »
Intentionally obtuse?

Did you even bother reading anything at the links I posted? Or did you just dismiss out of hand what comes from any government website?

By your logic, treasury bills are an expense driving the debt. Savings bonds are an expense driving the debt. Treasury notes are an expense driving the debt. ANY creditor is an expense driving the debt.

I give up.

It's just no use trying to inform the invincibly ignorant.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:26:39 PM by HankB »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Intentionally obtuse?

Did you even bother reading anything at the links I posted?

By your logic, treasury bills are an expense driving the debt. Savings bonds are an expense driving the debt. Treasury notes are an expense driving the debt. ANY creditor is an expense driving the debt.

I give up.

It's just no use trying to inform the invincibly ignorant.

A t-bill or bond is a debt.

It's money for the government to spend today... in exchange for money it owes back in X years.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!