Author Topic: Free birth control reduces abortion rate  (Read 4560 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Free birth control reduces abortion rate
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 09:39:06 PM »
We got married in january and our child was born in june.. :-P

I will also say this: we were very lucky.

Many folks who marry because of a pregnancy are not. I just so happened to knock up the groupie who turned out to be a wonderful woman who I adore.

have you noticed that folks who work hard are luckier?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »
There are costs. I work my ass off. Yesterday and today both were 12 hour days.

What do you mean working hard?  That's just half time :D.
Formerly sumpnz

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 01:34:01 AM »
Malthus was an economist, not a population biologist, but I suspect he was right in both arenas.  We will face a major crunch whether water, food, or energy, (or medical care) and so long as we the people refuse to allow the losers to truly lose, we will need to find a way to support the losers.  Analyze costs, risks, and benefits, and contraception appears a bargain.  Include the fantasies of "morality" and religion and you are on your own, and back to preventing the losers from truly losing.

Social Darwinism, anyone?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 02:13:07 AM »

Yeah, no inhuman barbarism for me, thanks. I'll stick with those "fantasies."

Oh, and just FYI, morality and religion are such broad terms that it's beyond stupid to associate them with the idea that "losers" have to be coddled. I guess it sounds cool in your noggin, though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:20:03 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 02:54:45 AM »
I guess it sounds cool in your noggin, though.

You should avoid the professional poker circuit, your mind reading skills aren't up to it.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 04:17:31 PM »
On the surface, this looks like a good idea: folks having access to free contraceptives means folks using such to avoid pregnancy. However, this forgets the fact that those on welfare are financially encouraged to pop out kids.

I know a LOT of people on this board have heard stories of the inner-city girl deciding to drop out of high school and pop out their first kid, so as to get on benefits right away. So long as that financial incentive is there, you can issue contraceptives to these folks, and it won't get used
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »
i doubt that "benefits" are the first thing on a teenage girls mind when they "decide" to get pregnant.  i also think it is ignorant of people to think that providing birth control greatly encourages these interactions.  i was raised in a home/church that taught abstinence, but hormones are hormones and there were a number of young marriages with short termed pregnancies.  supplying contraceptives will not eliminate the problem of unwanted pregnancy, but along with early education it will help to reduce the issue.  std's are a different ball game, but may also be addressed with a similar format.

and fitz,  congrats on getting lucky!   many people couldn't plan it that well.   my wife went through fertility treatments and was told she couldn't have kids before getting together with me. we ended up with two beautiful daughters.  (i've always said, "don't send a boy to do a man's job"!  ;))
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »
If you want to decrease the pregnancy rate, cap welfare and the food stamp allotment for families off at one child.

If you subsidize something, you will get more of it.

And each successive subsidized something you get more of is usually of lesser value than the one before it.

That is pretty much how it works for scientific research and I'd bet the data shows subsidized bastardy is similar.

There are some cases where the trade-off is desirable, but unwed motherhood is certainly not one.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »

have you noticed that folks who work hard are luckier?

Couches are notoriously luck-free zones.  OTOH, I have found lots of luck in hot steel buildings and after COB.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 09:40:29 PM »
the inner-city girl deciding to drop out of high school and pop out their first kid, so as to get on benefits right away. So long as that financial incentive is there, you can issue contraceptives to these folks, and it won't get used

not just inner city

we had a "club " of girls locally. hell these girls agreed to be interviewed for an article
its was their lifes ambition to get knocked up and get a check
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »
Malthus was an economist, not a population biologist, but I suspect he was right in both arenas.  We will face a major crunch whether water, food, or energy, (or medical care) and so long as we the people refuse to allow the losers to truly lose, we will need to find a way to support the losers.  Analyze costs, risks, and benefits, and contraception appears a bargain.  Include the fantasies of "morality" and religion and you are on your own, and back to preventing the losers from truly losing.

Behold the post modern materialist taking his philosophy to its logical conclusion,  in all his glory!

Not only does he want to disengage the government from taking care of the "least of these"  but he wants to destroy the foundational motivation of individuals who actually have empathy for the "dregs of society".

Good for you for being consistent!

I'm tired of the atheist crowd importing Judeo/Christian ethics and morality ie ideas of GOOD and BAD without having any philosophical basis other than social construct.

Of course if everyone had your philosophy (if I'm correct in my assessment) society would collapse IMHO. 

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »

I'm tired of the atheist crowd importing Judeo/Christian ethics and morality ie ideas of GOOD and BAD without having any philosophical basis other than social construct.

Back 150 years ago, you had your moral utopia of WASPy protestant domination from Sea to Shining Sea.  And no taxes compelling mandatory "charity."

Now today, we have amoral legislation that mandates theft from people regardless of the dogma by which they live their life.  Amoral by ALL COMPASSES, regardless of its source, with the sole exception of the Maoist/Leninist compass.  And that one is permitted to dictate behavior by force of guns-by-proxy, to those of us with vehement moral convictions against compulsory "giving."

I stand by Malthus' comments, though I have never been exposed to this economist before... I came to the same conclusion on my own.  Losers are subsidized and allowed to breed.  They breed at a higher rate than winners.  We get ruled by losers until we fall as a society, through the weight of our own stupidity.  Or, as Niven/Pournelle put it in Lucifer's Hammer... A society can adopts the ethics it can afford.  If you can't afford a welfare state, then you don't put it up.  If you can't afford a bunch of proles living on the tax roles, you don't give them access to it.  If your criminal justice system can't afford jails and idle prisoners, you institute slavery as punishment.  And so on. 

Malthus observed with his PhD the same thing I observe with my lowly BA... our ledger is imbalanced, by a combination of good intentions and misappropriated guilt.  It cannot stand forever, and will be rolled back by either voluntary or involuntary means.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 11:01:30 PM »
I'm not a supporter of the welfare state.

I do support individuals loving their neighbor, charitable work and family/social circle/local community based support for those who need support.

I reject nihilistic, materialistic, postmodern philosophies that corrode respect for life, even the lives of the modern American "losers".

There has never been a Utopia of Christian rule in any respect.

Christs Kingdom is not of this world.

Anyone who is trying to force the issue is sadly mistaken.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:05:02 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

• friends
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2012, 11:03:24 PM »
its charity if i give it freely   not so much when its taken from me to redistribute

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 11:06:18 PM »
its charity if i give it freely   not so much when its taken from me to redistribute

absolutely

brimic

• friends
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
Malthus was an economist,
So was Keynes...

Just because one is an economist doesn't mean their unicorn fantasies are real.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
Ron, I think you might be over-reacting to what AZ is saying.

I don't think Christ EVER suggested that money be forcibly taken from those of have, and given to those who don't (and who refuse to work for anything). That is NOT, by any stretch, "Christian charity".

But that is what we're talking about: theft at government gunpoint, to "help those less fortunate". Funny thing: it seems they're "less fortunate" because of their own choices...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)