Author Topic: The War on PBS, and serious budget-cutting.  (Read 4204 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The War on PBS, and serious budget-cutting.
« on: October 07, 2012, 11:28:28 PM »
A few years ago, it occurred to me that if politicians are serious about balancing the budget, they will propose that we eliminate funding for certain programs. PBS was one of those programs.

I was not a little surprised to hear Romney bring that up in the debate. If elected, would he actually suggest that to Congress and could it pass?

I also find it interesting that PBS only receives 5% of its funding from Washington. It's not as if it has no chance of surviving. Romney could even donate a big chunk of his own change to it, for appearance sake.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: The War on PBS, and serious budget-cutting.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »
I've always thought that making political promises to cut PBS were symbolic.
While I think it should happen I really think it's more of a peripheral thing that should not be the centerpiece of any budget balancing measure.

If your problem is this big
>-----------------------------------------------------------------<

Then making it this big
>----------------------------------------------------------------<
Isn't much of a help. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »
Have they promised to cut it before? I don't recall hearing that before. But then, I don't spend very much time listening to their promises.

But like I said, it's just one program. One program that will be cut when we start taking all of this seriously.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »
First it's "The War on the Poor", next it's "The War on Women"*, now it's "The War on PBS/Big Biird".   How come I never get the memo?!?!

*However, only a Democrat, Ted Kennedy, has a confirm killed, while another, Bill Clinton, was found guilty of perjury regarding his affair with a woman , and disbarred.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 01:30:40 AM »
Have they promised to cut it before? I don't recall hearing that before. But then, I don't spend very much time listening to their promises.

But like I said, it's just one program. One program that will be cut when we start taking all of this seriously.

Every so often I hear Republicans mention cutting of PBS funding.  Seems like its part of the political theater when they want to burnish their fiscal conservative bonafides.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:54 AM »
It looks like the Left Occupy America has figured out that the War on _____ formula is getting a bit diluted. I had to hit the second page of search results before I could find somebody else using the phrase, "War on PBS."

http://www.theprogressiveprofessor.com/?p=19566

He bills his blog as "An educated view from the left," but he still manages to end 5 out of 7 sentences with an exclamation mark!

He also would eliminate Amtrak, a transportation system that benefits the “hated” Northeast part of the country, the most educated part of the nation!

I guess he thinks that's the only way us regular folks will keep reading!

If he makes it exciting!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 02:46:32 AM »
!!!!!!!

I posted this on my facebook, I've got tons of B.O libs reading my profile ( at least 50 have unfriended me this yr! )

News Roundup:

Intelligent people who follow national current events and politics are very concerned with the NDAA, The Patriot act, and killing tons of children with drone bomb attacks, all approved by the Obama administration. These people are also concerned about the Libya Consulate 9-11 terrorist attacks and the execution of a diplomat, & wonder why it needed to be covered up.

Other people are worried about Big Bird.
We in the news business call these people "Democrats".

I think Mitt taking on "Big Bird" was carefully orchestrated and brilliant. Now the D's get to talking about cartoon characters for a few days then "we" get to ask them isn't there really substantial issues we are concerned about? :cool: :laugh:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 08:50:32 AM »
Every so often I hear Republicans mention cutting of PBS funding.  Seems like its part of the political theater when they want to burnish their fiscal conservative bonafides.
They have actually tried to cut it before.  Democrats ended up turning it into some sort of sacred cow and it didn't happen.  It was probably the 90's when they last tried.  Similar to when they tried to cut federally funded school lunch programs.  Dems and media accused them of starving kids.  It went no where. 

It only takes a small number of weak members to kill your majority. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:05:39 AM »
"Honey! I just took a demotion from $100,000 a year to $40,000 a year"
"Great, sweetie.  Lets make sure we keep going to the movies though. I know its only $40 a week."
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »
"He bills his blog as "An educated view from the left," but he still manages to end 5 out of 7 sentences with an exclamation mark! "

People who claim to be educated, but only end up proving they are narrow minded, usually embarrass those who actually are educated.

I dint know that leftists had them any edumacation.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
While I think it should happen I really think it's more of a peripheral thing that should not be the centerpiece of any budget balancing measure.

Then making it this big

You're right. The crux of the issue, though, is that if we can't reach consensus that the PBS subsidy et al should go, how in the world will entitlement spending, or the fundamental philosophical differences we face make it to the table?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »

Then making it this big

No, but as has been stated multiple times, when your budget is seriously unbalanced, you don't continue to spend $5 a day on coffee because $5 dollars won't make much of a difference.

Instead, you cut the $5 on coffee because you don't need to spend it. And you continue with your budget in the same way. If you can't even cut $5, then you're screwed, regardless.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 12:07:49 PM »
First it's "The War on the Poor", next it's "The War on Women"*, now it's "The War on PBS/Big Biird".   How come I never get the memo?!?!
*However, only a Democrat, Ted Kennedy, has a confirm killed, while another, Bill Clinton, was found guilty of perjury regarding his affair with a woman , and disbarred.

The "war" is real, but it's the exact opposite of the one cited.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
Quote from: TommyGunn

Then making it this big
No, but as has been stated multiple times, when your budget is seriously unbalanced, you don't continue to spend $5 a day on coffee because $5 dollars won't make much of a difference.

Instead, you cut the $5 on coffee because you don't need to spend it. And you continue with your budget in the same way. If you can't even cut $5, then you're screwed, regardless.

True that.

The whiny shrill response some libs evoke when small expense cutting measures are proposed have always made me wonder just what h3ll would break loose should some conservative propose something that would REALLY save a lot of $$$$$$$$.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 09:12:12 AM »
It's theatre. And it entertaining. I am for cutting funds to PBS. Will it make a dent, no. But PBS is left leaning, and that is the reason I don't want my tax dollars goin to it. Would feel the same if it was right leaning. Supposed to be "public broadcast". Not "political broadcast".
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
It's theatre. And it entertaining. I am for cutting funds to PBS. Will it make a dent, no. But PBS is left leaning, and that is the reason I don't want my tax dollars goin to it. Would feel the same if it was right leaning. Supposed to be "public broadcast". Not "political broadcast".
That and they are already selling advertising and soliciting donations.  They don't need Govt funding.  Neither does NPR.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 09:59:41 AM »
That and they are already selling advertising and soliciting donations.  They don't need Govt funding.  Neither does NPR.

This. Who is still under the illusion that PBS isn't just as commercial as for-profit networks? Oh, wait, it's "sponsor acknowledgment" and not filthy "commercials". I believe they also retain all revenue from merchandising/video sales, etc.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 10:46:49 AM »

Yep. NPR needs to either survive on its own, or go the way of Air America Radio.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »
To expect the kind of discriminating spending cuts that we should ideally have is way, way too romantic in this culture.  The best we are going to do is to exchange the Exacto knife for the meat axe.  Across the board cuts, to everyone and everything, are probably the only hope we have to actually make meaningful reductions.  Start with five per cent a year--and no baseline automatic increases--and keep at it until things look up.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 05:02:14 PM »

Then making it this big

It's better than what we've been doing, which is this:
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Addendum in red
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »
If you really want to cut the budget, the best possible way to accomplish that is by going after something that is both popular and a microscopic fraction of the overall budget.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »
The whiny shrill response some libs evoke when small expense cutting measures are proposed have always made me wonder just what h3ll would break loose should some conservative propose something that would REALLY save a lot of $$$$$$$$

For one thing, he would be locked out of the Republican National Convention  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
Big Bird is a (large) canary in a coal mine.  If we can't kill off a miniscule governmental subsidy to a viable ongoing commercial operation, we will never be able to cut spending anywhere else. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »
Big Bird is a (large) canary in a coal mine.  If we can't kill off a miniscule governmental subsidy to a viable ongoing commercial operation, we will never be able to cut spending anywhere else. 

I disagree. PBS is hard to cut, because cutting it accomplishes nothing. We all know the big programs that have to be restructured/eliminated to establish fiscal solvency, and in the case of those cuts we can argue that it will actually solve a problem. Cutting all useless cowboy poetry/PBS etc programs may be a nice gesture, but it doesn't solve the issue.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »
The whiny shrill response some libs evoke when small expense cutting measures are proposed have always made me wonder just what h3ll would break loose should some conservative propose something that would REALLY save a lot of $$$$$$$$
For one thing, he would be locked out of the Republican National Convention  =D

Amongst other similar places as well...... [popcorn]