Author Topic: The War on PBS, and serious budget-cutting.  (Read 4203 times)

slingshot

• friend
Re: The War on PBS, and serious budget-cutting.
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:57 AM »
I think the government can dump funding PBS and the "Arts".  I see no reason to borrow money so we can fund PBS or the arts.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 10:40:22 AM »
Got to start some where...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »

This.

Riddle me this, all the people who don't think it's a big deal.
Say you take a pay cut.
You have a daily Starbucks habit. $4 a day is nothing compared to other ways to blow a paycheck. 
But should you really keep spending that $4 a day?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »
This.

Riddle me this, all the people who don't think it's a big deal.
Say you take a pay cut.
You have a daily Starbucks habit. $4 a day is nothing compared to other ways to blow a paycheck. 
But should you really keep spending that $4 a day?

No. But if you're $3000 a month short income vs expenditures, saying "Well I stopped going to Starbucks!" like it actually means anything is stupid.

This is both a pointless gesture to "look like we're doing something" as well as an unpopular one. It's a dog and pony show, and a distraction.

If you have a cold and brain cancer then both are medical issues that need addressed, but if the Dr is only working on the cold it's pointless.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »
It's not pointless. If you can't cut the $4/day Starbucks expense, how do you expect to tackle the $150/month bundled cable bill?

If they can't agree to cut funding for small things, then they'll never reach agreement on the big things.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »
It's not pointless. If you can't cut the $4/day Starbucks expense, how do you expect to tackle the $150/month bundled cable bill?

If they can't agree to cut funding for small things, then they'll never reach agreement on the big things.

See, I don't agree with that. If they cut small things, they can "look like they're doing something" and run and get elected as a budget cutter. If you're trying to talk someone into an amputation, you have a lot better chance with "you have gangrene in that leg, it's lose it or die" vs "well, it won't really accomplish much of anything but hey, you gotta start somewhere."

It's because budget cuts are so unpopular that we need to be making substantiative arguments about actual changes that will actually make a difference, not this feel good window dressing BS.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »
We are all going to have to re-define what's "essential."

That doesn't mean we have to do without it; it does mean we will have to do without overt and covert subsidies and take full responsibility for our wants and desires.

This is the crux of it.  Government doesn't get to set the rules for The People.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »
It's because budget cuts are so unpopular that we need to be making substantiative arguments about actual changes that will actually make a difference, not this feel good window dressing BS.

Of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »
Maybe a president Romney will compromise and allow funding for the evil PBS in exchange for real tax/entitlement reform.   :laugh:

I know, pipe dream...  =(
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:07 AM »

Agreed....as long as PBS is the start....not the end....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 08:47:21 AM »
Agreed....as long as PBS is the start....not the end....

I doubt it will be more than this.  Cutting PBS, which amounts to .012% of the budget, won't do much, but it polls well with most conservatives.  Other more substantial cuts may not, so I doubt we will see any meaningful reform.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
Making the draconian cuts that are necessary to deal with our fiscal problems requires moral and social re-setting, not just bipartisan tweaks to our tax code, etc.  We have not even begun to discuss who is "worthy," for example, of "help," and why.  We continue to avoid the hard, raw questions that must in the end be posed.  You will notice, for example, that so far there has not been a word about immigration in three hours of debate; don't expect much if anything tonight.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »

What was the actual process Romney used to lower government spending in Massachusetts?

Somehow he balanced the budget with no increase in taxes.

He's proposing to do something similar with the Federal budget.  What are the mechanics of that?

There was no PBS to de-fund in MA.  And, while I'm sure there were plenty of random little things that got cut, surely he addressed some larger things?

And then there's Scott Walker, whom I believe has more lately done something similar to reduce the structural deficit in Wisconsin.

What did those guys do that actually cut spending?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
Romney took used a lot of fed.gov funds to cover shortfalls in MA's budget.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 02:36:31 AM »

Romney took used a lot of fed.gov funds to cover shortfalls in MA's budget.

Bummer.

That's not a structural remedy.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
You were maybe expecting a real conservative?

No real conservative is going to get anywhere near any prospective American election, not in this America.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.