Author Topic: Compound angles suck......  (Read 5381 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Compound angles suck......
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:33:18 AM »
So I've been drawing up plans in google sketchup to build a hexagonal bench around a tree in our yard....

Now that I have all the plans drawn up, I started looking at the angles I'm working with on the back of the bench...   The joints are all 30 degree angles, and the back of the bench leans back at 15 degrees.....

Now, sketchup lets me put a virtual protractor to the boards...  

Anyone know how to set a radial arm saw to 29.1 degrees and 8.4 degrees????   [ar15]

Yes...   I'm gonna build me a jig to hold my boards at a 15 degree angle and just make a 30 degree bevel.

But compound angles suck.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Compound angles suck......
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:33:58 AM »
Plastic Wood is your friend.

(Probably old school nowadays, but you get the idea.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:04:36 AM »
Don't be so obtuse, tell us how you really feel.
Sounds like you'll really have acute bench when you're done though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »
Can't you tilt the arm to 8.4 (or whatever) and separately set the angle to the bed at 30?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »
Quit being an engineer.  Just get it close.  It's wood.  It's going to expand and contract.  If you get it too tight the joint will split and cause bigger problems than a 1/16th gap.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
Can't you tilt the arm to 8.4 (or whatever) and separately set the angle to the bed at 30?

Griz, the problem is that little ".4"....  :) 

And slug, that's why I'm gonna just build a 15 degree block.  I've got 18 boards to cut, total of 36 cuts, so a jig will help anyways.

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:08 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:28:22 AM »
Oh, I didn't realize you meant you actually wanted to set it to within a tenth of a degree.  In the real world, it's tough to mass produce cuts to closer tolerances than the material you're working with.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »

He'd use one of his high-priced 29.1°-only miter-saws, of course.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »
I think that you're getting 0.2 over this  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
Griz, the problem is that little ".4"....  :) 

And slug, that's why I'm gonna just build a 15 degree block.  I've got 18 boards to cut, total of 36 cuts, so a jig will help anyways.

A jig?  Where's the adventure and foul language in that? =D

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »
He'd use one of his high-priced 29.1°-only miter-saws, of course.

And make whatever it is out of cheap-ass pine..  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
Harold, that's very similar to the plans I'm using.   I'm using the ones from "This Old House" I think...  With my own modification of instead of one board as a "backrest" at 90 degrees, I'm building an actual back tilted back 15 degrees...

I'll see if I can convert my sketchup drawing to a .jpg

ETA - here we go....

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:08:53 PM by AmbulanceDriver »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
What happens when the tree gets too big  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »
Well, it's a pretty mature tree, and you allow an extra 6 inches for that......  :)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
Well, it's a pretty mature tree, and you allow an extra 6 inches for that......  :)

So you think the tree is mature enough to not get too big for its benches ?   ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
Why bother getting worked up over a bench that is going to get covered in bird poop and no one wants to sit on, anyways?   :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 02:02:37 PM »
ETA - here we go....

I tend to build my plans slightly overkill in the engineering process. Tends to be built as if I expect Germans to drive a tank over it a couple times.

Which they MIGHT. So, there.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »
Why bother getting worked up over a bench that is going to get covered in bird poop and no one wants to sit on, anyways?   :lol:

It fills in the cracks nicely  :cool:

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »
Just eyeball that sh*t. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »
You can always cut it longer....

:P :P

(Screw the .4 and just set you mitersaw to the whole number angles.  Wood putty and stain to finish.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 06:21:12 PM »
I tend to build my plans slightly overkill in the engineering process. Tends to be built as if I expect Germans to drive a tank over it a couple times.

Which they MIGHT. So, there.

That way, it stays built.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »

Anyone know how to set a radial arm saw to 29.1 degrees and 8.4 degrees????   [ar15]

But compound angles suck.

Bird poop aside, this is why you use a compound miter saw for this job rather than a radial arm saw.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »
Yeah, well, I don't have a compound miter saw and I do have a radial arm saw...  So there...   [neener]  However, I don't think even a compound miter saw would solve this one....