Author Topic: Here come the Smart Cars  (Read 2957 times)

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 10:20:23 AM »
OK, NOW I see... For some reason, the Corbin Sparrow was coming up as a raw link.

The Corbin Merlin is the thing that looks like it needs a proctologist to snip it.

The Sparrow, OTOH, looks like Old Mother Hubbard's ride.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Dannyboy

• friend
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 10:34:49 AM »
One advantage of the Smart car.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »
"Sweet, a shuttle craft for my truck."

BBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 02:20:56 PM »
Hal, open the pod bay doors

I'm Sorry Mike, I can't do that
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 08:09:43 PM »
A friend of mine from Germany visiting told me they will do like 120mph.
60 HP and lets say 1500 lbs.

Thats gonna take a lot of gearing... and a runway.

Iain

• friend
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2006, 12:49:01 AM »
75mph sounds about right. I can't say I've ever seen one on a motorway here, when 70mph is the speed limit (and 80mph is common practice) you're going to be thrashing that engine a little.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 01:26:58 AM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
One advantage of the Smart car.
How much narrower is it than, say, a Neon or other small car?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Iain

• friend
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2006, 01:33:27 AM »
It's not much narrower, but there is an awful lot of difference in the length of a smart car and a Neon. The point of that picture is that the Neon or similar would sticking out well into the road.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2006, 03:27:45 AM »
i await the smartcars with auto nav

drive up to the freeway,
engage the automerge, and forgetabout traffic delays on the thruways

its really the only way i can see further capacity expansion on the daily commute

Can we merge with this memory byte?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2006, 04:44:16 PM »
Quote from: Iain
It's not much narrower, but there is an awful lot of difference in the length of a smart car and a Neon. The point of that picture is that the Neon or similar would sticking out well into the road.
Yeah, but I can see that being a good way to get a ticket or a wrecked car.  I know I'd be pissed if I was the driver of one of the vans.

Heck, could 3-4 people tip the sucker up onto it's back?

Hmmm  1600/4=400 pounds each. Engine's mounted in the rear, and probably the heaviest part.  Heck, two people might be able to do it.

Put it on it's roof or side, out of my way to move my vehicle.

Dannyboy

• friend
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2006, 05:26:57 PM »
Quote from: Firethorn
Yeah, but I can see that being a good way to get a ticket or a wrecked car.  I know I'd be pissed if I was the driver of one of the vans.

Heck, could 3-4 people tip the sucker up onto it's back?

Hmmm  1600/4=400 pounds each. Engine's mounted in the rear, and probably the heaviest part.  Heck, two people might be able to do it.

Put it on it's roof or side, out of my way to move my vehicle.
I don't know if they actually give parking tickets in Nice.  Considering what I saw, I'm thinking that they don't.  I just happened to have my camera on me for that picture but I saw that same thing a few times over that week.  

The front of that car was dead even with the left sides of the two on either side.  And there's maybe a foot parked on the sidewalk.  One advantage for a tiny little car like that.  The only advantage, as far as I'm concerned.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Chuck Dye

Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2006, 05:30:59 PM »
I was passed by a Smart Car yesterday in Northern California, between Corning and Red Bluff.  I was going 60mph (+5ing the eighteen wheeler), the Smart Car 70-75.  On a flat stretch.  CB slang used to call VW Beetles "pregnant roller-skates."  I am sure the moniker will be resurrected.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2006, 05:31:54 PM »
But Dannyboy, we are talkin' about Smart Cars here in the States, so those advantages might not translate.  Especially with our stricter laws on traffic and parking, more open territory, wider streets, and what-not.  

pregnant roller-skates
Nice.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2006, 07:49:06 PM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
The front of that car was dead even with the left sides of the two on either side.  And there's maybe a foot parked on the sidewalk.  One advantage for a tiny little car like that.  The only advantage, as far as I'm concerned.
That's why I figure that vandalism might also be a problem.  If the smartcar guy blocks the wrong guy in, he might find his little auto in a different orientation than what he left it in.

Dannyboy

• friend
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2006, 04:00:01 AM »
Quote from: fistful
But Dannyboy, we are talkin' about Smart Cars here in the States, so those advantages might not translate.  Especially with our stricter laws on traffic and parking, more open territory, wider streets, and what-not.
Point taken.

mfree

• friend
Here come the Smart Cars
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2006, 08:39:44 AM »
I'd buy one. My commute is nearly 25 miles one way, and never breaks 60mph.

Actually, that's why I've been looking at motorcycles, trikes, Citroen 2CVs, etc. But all the used stuff is beyond my budget (used gets bought cash, newer gets a loan) and motorcycles are going to take training and extra equipment.

I'd love to lay hands on one. Heck, I'd love to lay hands on a geo metro 2 door with stick shift and AC but they're scarce these days...