Author Topic: Jack Welch (former GE CEO) blasts the ersatz unemployment numbers.  (Read 2326 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444897304578046260406091012.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Not totally surprising, considering his nominal political Right leanings... although he was always happy to take fed.gov money for windmills and such.  :P

It would have been nicer to see the exact same article coming right from Jeff Immelt, but I guess his honorary title as the top private sector economic adviser to the Administration, and the windmill money is just too much to risk.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Jack Welch (former GE CEO) blasts the ersatz unemployment numbers.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »

Inflation and employment statistics are rigged twelve ways to Sunday, and have been for a very long time.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »
Inflation and employment statistics are rigged twelve ways to Sunday, and have been for a very long time.

Of course they are, we all know the huge gaps in the CPI like leaving fuel and food out, and the difference between U1 and U6...

The new outrage is that they'll now mess with them on a weeks notice, and even further for political agendas.

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
huge gaps in the CPI like leaving fuel and food out

Who needs those anyway ...?   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »
Of course they are, we all know the huge gaps in the CPI like leaving fuel and food out, and the difference between U1 and U6...

In my opinion, any individual person that published accurate inflation index would be hunted with more determination and lethal hardware than Osama bin Laden.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
In my opinion, any individual person that published accurate inflation index would be hunted with more determination and lethal hardware than Osama bin Laden.

Really? I can find gas and grain commodity prices pretty easily on the internet. As well as any other commodity on CME.

I just don't buy the CPI conspiracy theories, the evidence seems lacking.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:51 PM »
Ask any wife/mother about prices going up  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Really? I can find gas and grain commodity prices pretty easily on the internet. As well as any other commodity on CME.

The CPI is supposed to represent a "marketbasket" of goods, however in recent years the goods in that "marketbasket" keeps changing  so that "Look!!!  Thar ain't no inflatin' goin' ona here!!!"

Hence, no real change to the CPI.  See, it's magic. ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34:42 PM »
I get that criticism Scout. Certainly a valid criticism. I just don't buy the conspiracy theories around it. Like Revdisk said, any person who published a valid inflation number would be hunted??? The data is easily available for just about anyone to create such an index. No one is getting hunted.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:02:21 AM »
I get that criticism Scout. Certainly a valid criticism. I just don't buy the conspiracy theories around it. Like Revdisk said, any person who published a valid inflation number would be hunted??? The data is easily available for just about anyone to create such an index. No one is getting hunted.

Were there no will/interest behind it, there would be some sort of random scattering of the estimates.  But, there is a definite skewing of the data instead.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 06:26:48 AM »
The CPI is supposed to represent a "marketbasket" of goods, however in recent years the goods in that "marketbasket" keeps changing  so that "Look!!!  Thar ain't no inflatin' goin' ona here!!!"

Hence, no real change to the CPI.  See, it's magic. ;/

Lies, damned lies, & statistics....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 07:38:57 AM »

Shadowstats has the real numbers all nicely aggregated as well.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »
What's the meaning of "is" again...?

Lies are the new normal. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
The case for paranoia:  [tinfoil]

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/11/the-case-for-paranoia/

Not a BLS truther, but an anti-anti-truther...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton