Author Topic: Charter schools in Washington state  (Read 1089 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Charter schools in Washington state
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:51:01 AM »
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019398866_taf11m.html

An interesting article on charter schools.  Washington state is voting on allowing charter schools.  It will be interesting to see where the vote goes.   I was unaware that the data seems to show that charters are not quite a panacea for what ails the educational system.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Charter schools in Washington state
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »
I am sure that private schools will have winners and losers just like everything else.  Having a choice is what seems important to me.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:17:54 AM »
The charter schools around here are, with very few exceptions, superior to the regular public schools in every ranking I've looked at. They're probably a notch under private schools, but since those are out of the question financially we'll be doing the lottery at several charter schools when our oldest gets to kindergarten age.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
Yep, not all charter schools live up to their promise.  And then they shut down if they do poorly enough.  That is a big deal.  "Bankruptcy & liquidation of assets" is a concept that gov't schools need to have applied to them when they do not perform.

Also, even those that only match gov't school performance, usually do it with fewer dollars per student.  Think of the inner city pits running with feral youths.  No amount of money or super-teachers are going to turn them into Lake Woebegone.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 11:18:55 PM »
They seem to be doing well in New Orleans where a large number of public schools were wiped out. 

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf/2011/09/new_orleans_charters_see_readi.html