Author Topic: What books would you recommend everyone should read?  (Read 2835 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: What books would you recommend everyone should read?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
The Republic - Plato

Also, surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet...

War and Peace - Tolstoy
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:52:23 PM by kgbsquirrel »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
I've read a great deal of Tolstoy but really think the short stories are more consumable - I've never gotten through War and Peace

i know its one of the greats but it just drags on.... What Men Live By for instance, a great short story with a powerful timeless message. You have to read it.

Ayn Rand Anthem how did I forget that on my first list, its her best and really needs to be a movie, reading goes by fast and I feel like I've seen the movie but know I've only read the book.

Moon is a Harsh Mistress must concur, everyone needs to read it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
All of Tolstoy's short stories & Resurrection.

The Kingdom of God is Within You and other writings is really good.

The Case for Christ, by Lee Strobe

All of his The Case for books are great.

I cannot beleive no ones mentioned Heinlin, here of all places.

While Starship Troopers is really good, Glory Road is my favorite. I own The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, just haven't read it yet. It's actually in my stack of to be read books I brought with me this deployment.

Matthew Bracken's Enemies Foreign and Domestic, only read the first one but it was really good. For fighting back against a government gone crazy I would recommend John Ross's Unintended Consequences. It is fantastic in how it goes back to the beginnings of anti-gun legislation starting with the NFA and people within the gun culture.

Sam Keith's One Mans Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey along with Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild both also greatly shaped me I think.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:00:39 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 01:56:06 PM »
The Republic - Plato

So that they will never, ever read any philosophy again?  ??? I don't see how "everyone" would be well-served by reading that book. Its politics is horrifying, its philosophy is convoluted, and it's just not a good read. "Everyone" would give that book about two pages before he set it aside for something else. And he wouldn't be missing much.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »
So that they will never, ever read any philosophy again?  ??? I don't see how "everyone" would be well-served by reading that book. Its politics is horrifying, its philosophy is convoluted, and it's just not a good read. "Everyone" would give that book about two pages before he set it aside for something else. And he wouldn't be missing much.

Did a teacher force you to read it during your freshman year or something? That's certainly not what I took away from it, but then again I wasn't using it as a how to, but as a mental exercise on my part to think through avenues I might not otherwise have.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 02:31:36 PM »
No, I just read it because it is a book anyone who wants to be all erudite and worldly should probably plow through (yes, I'm still working on the erudite and worldly thing). I guess it could be thought-provoking, but not enough to make it required reading for just anybody. Much better books out there.

Then again, anything from the ancient/classical Greeks just puts me off. Don't get me started on Homer.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
The Kingdom of God is Within You and other writings is really good.

All of his The Case for books are great.

While Starship Troopers is really good, Glory Road is my favorite. I own The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, just haven't read it yet. It's actually in my stack of to be read books I brought with me this deployment.

Matthew Bracken's Enemies Foreign and Domestic, only read the first one but it was really good. For fighting back against a government gone crazy I would recommend John Ross's Unintended Consequences. It is fantastic in how it goes back to the beginnings of anti-gun legislation starting with the NFA and people within the gun culture.

Sam Keith's One Mans Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey along with Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild both also greatly shaped me I think.

My favorite Heinlin is actually one of his young adult books, Podkayne of Mars. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers are more "good for anyone". I also really do like Stranger In A Strange Land, but I think a lot of people get hung up on the... oddities towards the end.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 11:29:55 PM »
As I see others have included the most important economics works already (Wealth of Nations, Road to Serfdom, The Law, Economics in One Lesson) and Tolkien/C.S. Lewis, I'll have to toss out some lesser works:

The Count of Monte Cristo (not a lesser, work, though)
The Aenid
Beowolf
The Once and Future King
The Brothers Karamozov
The Sea Wolf (or White Fang or Call of the Wild. I'd prefer all three.)
Huckleberry Finn
The Silmarillion (you have to be a significant Tolkien fan and mythology buff to enjoy the beginning of this one, though.)
Dr. Faustus
The Gallic War (de Bello Gallico)
Livy's History of Rome
The short stories of Edgar Allen Poe (my preference is for his detective stories, I believe the first of their kind). Be careful with Poe, though. He well understood the darkness of the human soul, generally focusing on madness and evil. (Though not solely; his detective stories are some of the exceptions.)
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Frankenstein
The Tempest

(I had better stop because I'm pretty sure I'll keep coming up with works if I continue to think on this.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought