Author Topic: happened a while back but i'll tell y'all anyway...  (Read 889 times)

TMM

• friend
happened a while back but i'll tell y'all anyway...
« on: June 29, 2006, 05:45:39 AM »
Well, a while back, some of you may recall me asking for help in asking a girl out. well, guess what? i did!

[warning - slight ramble. but if you like reading about people's lives, this is for you]

It may not seem such an amazing feat to you, but to me, it is - many times, whenever i had an opportunity to ask her out, i got this pit in my stomach and i immediately tried to avoid walking past her - it was frusturating - it was kind of like watching my life on TV , and not being able to change what i was doing.

But on the last day of school[i emphasize "last day" - heh, nothing like severe time restraint to light a fire under my ass] - as i was putting some stuff in my locker since i had just arrived at school, my friend comes walking up to me and, pointing to me, says, "maxine is in the lobby and there is NO ONE around her! if you don't talk to her now you are the biggest pussy..."

So, after listening to some taunting by my ever-helpful friend, i came to the lobby and sure enough, there she was. as i got up to walk to her bench, i was suprisingly calm. barely nervous, no sweaty palms, etc...

"Hi."
"Hey..."

After slightly screwing up what i wanted to say, she got the idea of what i was asking. She more or less said "no, but maybe later - do you have a screenname?" I held her hand as i tried to write my screenname on it. didn't really work, changed to paper. *expletive deleted*it, gotta brace my hand against the bench seat as i write so my hand dosn't twitch.

"There, see if you can read it, my handwriting isn't so hot"
"Trust me, mine's worse"
Heh... Everyone says that...

I don't really remember what ended the conversation, or if once or twice i didn't get the hint [don't think so, though... even though i can't really remember the whole conversation, i think it was pretty constant back-and-forth talking]. I think i ended with somthing along the lines of,

"Well, thanks anyway"

More or less referring to thanking her for being nice about turning me down. A friend had told me,

"You really should go for it, but, if she does turn you down, she'll be nice about it."

Talked with the same friend after the fact,

"You were right"
"About?"
"Maxine did turn me down nicely"
"Aww, i'm so sorry..."
"Well, it did make my day better, though, regardless of the outcome."

And indeed it did. as multiple people said, "You can find out in 5 minutes what she thinks of you, or spend the rest of your life wondering". That is precicely what made my day - I will not wonder. In the end...

"You may not win, but you will never lose"

~TMM

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 10:50:21 AM »
Well at least you didn't get shot down in burning flames. So now the next time there's a lovely lady that catches your eye, you probably won't have those first time jitters, huh? Nothing calms the nerves like past experiences to draw on. Smiley
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 12:26:38 PM »
Well, having read all that, there's a couple of girls I suppose I should work up the courage to go talk to...
Andy

TMM

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 02:01:52 PM »
Indeed you should, cosine.

When i asked her out, though, it was a funny feeling - i didn't need any courage. i didn't brace myself or anything - it was all very easygoing, it flowed well, if you will.

If you manage to get yourself to just start walking towards her, if you're anything like me, the rest will be relatively easy.

Nightfall: you sure are right. one of the reasons i really wanted to ask her out is to get myself used to the whole deal, know what it's like. now i've got a bit [albeit a very very tiny bit] of experience...

~tmm

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 04:30:43 PM »
Heh heh.  Reading your post took me back more years than I'd like to think.  It works the same way no matter the generation, laddy me boy.  Especially the memory part.  When dealing with wimmin under stress, it's like an early 20th century movie in fast forward, black and white with no memory of most of what occured.  heh heh.  Nothing ever changes, does it.

The progressives think that we have progressed and are masters of our destiny.  Actually life is more like "Groundhog Day".  The only difference is it's the same stuff, but different people.  heh heh.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 07:43:28 PM »
The secret to getting girls to go out with you?

Two words....

ether

Seriously though, good job.  Breaking the ice the first time is the hardest.  After that it just keeps getting easier, like lying to your parents when they ask when you're finally going to settle down and get married.

Oh god, I'm so alone........

Wink
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 08:01:22 PM »
Quote from: carebear
Breaking the ice the first time is the hardest.
I need to bite the bullet and just break it. Emotions are funny things though. You know something's harmless, but you still can be scared stiff of doing it.
Andy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 08:14:16 PM »
For every girl that won't go on a date with you brings closer to the one that will say yes to a date.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 03:09:17 AM »
Quote from: charby
For every girl that won't go on a date with you brings closer to the one that will say yes to a date.
*spits on the floor*

Past results are not indicative of future performance.  (Or rather, they ARE.)