Author Topic: Bird of prey question  (Read 1087 times)

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Bird of prey question
« on: June 29, 2006, 06:37:09 AM »
Yesterday evening I was walking my property to find out where the tree was that I'd heard falling down the night before during the incessant rain.

As I was walking along, I heard something behind me that sounded just like...well...sleighbells.  I turned around, and I realized that it was coming from about thirty feet up.  There was a hawk flying overhead, and with every beat of his wings, he made a "jingling" sound.  It was low-pitched, and it sounded just like the sleighbells that my mother always hung on out front door during Christmas time.  It looked as if the hawk had something in his claws, too.  

He landed on a snag about 50 feet from me, and he was having an awkward time trying to perch.  As I approached, he flew off again, still making his "jingle, jingle, jingle" sounds.  Later in my walk, I was back near the first spot I'd heard him (I'd come full circle), and I heard him again.

I have a nesting pair of (Red-Shouldered, I think) hawks in that vague direction, and I've seen as many as 4 of them at once in the sky above my place.  But the bells are a new thing.

He didn't look like he was trailing jesses, so I don't think he's an escaped falconer's bird, and I can't think off-hand of any reason why he'd have bells on, except that maybe he's gotten his feet tangled in something.  Do hawks collect things the way corbies do?

I'd hate to lose one of my hawks because he got tangled in some heavy trash (and if it's jingling, it's metal).  Does anyone know of anything I can do?  Is there a "raptor rescue" group that can try and trap him to get whatever it is off his feet?  I know there's nothing I can personally do for him, because I know nothing about birds of prey, so if I did try anything, I'd end up either injuring him or getting injured by him.  Also there's probably some sort of federal zero-tolerance law about Looking Askance At Endangered Species, With Intent to Do Something Unspecified But Undoubtedly Bad.

Anyone have any ideas how I might proceed?

Thanks,
-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bird of prey question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:11:32 AM »
One of my former coworkers does a LOT of work with a raptor project here in Northern Virginia. Let me send him your e-mail, and hopefully he can give you some guidance.

Actually, send me your e-mail at kframe_19@yahoo.com. I don't want to give him the link to send you e-mail through this site.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Bird of prey question
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:25:07 AM »
Ok, e-mail sent.  Thanks.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

griz

• friend
Bird of prey question
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 12:00:45 PM »
You might try carrying some binoculars on your next walk.  Maybe you can tell what's making the noise.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Pb

• friend
Bird of prey question
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 01:33:57 PM »
Falconer Bells sound just like jingle bells... it may have had anklets w/ bells and no jesses?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Bird of prey question
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 07:53:45 PM »
It may have been scared of bears.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Stickjockey

• friend
Bird of prey question
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 05:59:07 AM »
My first thought would be falconry bells.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Pb

• friend
Bird of prey question
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
After thinking about it, I believe I recall that some falconers mount the bell on the tail feathers... and thus the bird may not have had jesses or anklets.