Author Topic: Thread necro! Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 questions for sumpnz  (Read 806 times)

dm1333

• friend
Thread necro! Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 questions for sumpnz
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »
sumpnz,

Are you still fishing with your Ocean Kayak Prowler 13?  What do you think of it both for fishing and for paddling efficiency as a kayak?  I'm transferring to Michigan and want to get a small boat (rowing/sailing skiff or a kayak) to fish and get a little exercise on.  It would get used on Lake Michigan and some of the inland lakes and rivers, like the Muskegon and Manistee Rivers.

I didn't want to bring this thread back to life but I was pretty sure it was the same kayak I was looking at.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=33439.0

I've also given a little thought to this.  It would be for flat water only but SUPs are great for core and upper body exercise.

http://nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=38

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Thread necro! Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 questions for sumpnz
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »
Yep.  Still have it.  Been out in the open ocean off WA and OR with it, so it certainly can handle the Great Lakes.  Its quite stable, to the point that I have hauled up heavy crab pots and hard fighting fish >10# without any problms.  

As far as effeciency goes, you generally trade that off for stability.That said it is still not bad for effeciency.  Ask away if you have other questions.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »
Oh, as far as rivers go, I have not yet experienced that, but I know plenty of guys that have been oit in comperable yaks on tue rivers with great results.  And I talking BIG rivers including the Columbia.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »
Thanks.  I know it won't be as efficient as a long, thin touring kayak but some of the fishing kayaks out there look like total barges.  I like how stable it seems yet still seems to be a decent paddler.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »
For Lake Michigan, the water temp gets up to about 60F, you're going to want a 2-3mm full wetsuit in the summer and fall and a drysuit in the spring when the water is in the 30's. I've got a Pyranha Fusion Connect. September is when the waves start to pick up, and it gets fun on the lake. I just put it away for the winter, it's getting so the air is cooler than the water.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:04:33 AM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
If the water is cold enough that I need a dry suit you won't find me on the lake in a kayak!  Sixteen years of driving lifeboats in cold, wet, rough weather has been enough for me, I'll stay home if it is cold and rough.  I've done enough of this  [barf].

I've got a wetsuit, helmet, kayak style life jacket, etc.  that I have been using with my Cobra Strike.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
Around here the wter is rarely warm enough to not need a drysuit, at least on the salt.

For a drysuit I have a Kokatat SuperNova Angler.  It has a neoprene neck gasket rather than latex so it doesn't strangle you so much.  Lets in a tiny amount more than latex if get dunked, but the comfort more than makes up for that.  I got it from Outdoorplay.com for $480 shipped thanks to a 20% off coupon that is stndard hen sign up there.