Author Topic: Woman Shoots Home Invader  (Read 7116 times)

HankB

• friend
Woman Shoots Home Invader
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »
A Texas woman put her father's lessons in firearms use to work when two men invaded her home.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2012/10/woman-shoots-burglary-suspect-during-break-in-at-home-in-southeast-oak-cliff.html/

I heard her father being interviewed on the radio this morning - he said he's glad his daughter came out OK and put the training he'd given her to good use, but he was a bit miffed that she didn't get both of the perps.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Woman Shoots Home Invader
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:12:47 PM »
Unpossible. People with guns in their homes are more likely to be shot, themselves. Since the black man was shot, there is probably undoubtedly racism at play here.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »
Looks like a pretty nice neighborhood to be "crime-ridden"  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »
Unpossible. People with guns in their homes are more likely to be shot, themselves. Since the black man was shot, there is probably undoubtedly racism at play here.

perhaps he was the real homeowner?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »

I'll go out on a limb and opine there may be a Section 8 housing complex somewhere nearby.

I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
The woman, alerted by a home alarm, fired several shots at the men, striking at least one of them as they charged up the stairs.

Judging by the way that is worded, this is was no "simple burglary".  The apparently saw the woman and charged up the stairs.  If it was just burglary, they would have taken off on seeing an armed occupant.  I guess that assumes the news story is worded correctly and accurate.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
I think it's possible they were running up the stairs, just trying to get the stuff and get out fast. Maybe they didn't see her. She might have been behind them or beside them as they came up.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

Don't you mean "women" with guns in their homes are more likely to have their guns taken away from them and used on them???

[ar15]
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »
Don't you mean "women" with guns in their homes are more likely to have their guns taken away from them and used on them???

Well, yeah, that's one factoid. I think another one I've heard a few times is that people with guns in their homes are more likely to be shot.

Yeah, here's a story that says that.
http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100204/Guns-in-homes-can-increase-risk-of-death-and-firearm-related-violence.aspx

Anyone know the story on statistics like that?

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:28 PM »

Oak Cliff is a subsection of Dallas that is very "crime ridden", but is so large that there are many nice neighborhoods within it.  Nice  neighborhoods just a block or two away from absolute 3rd world hellholes. So like most news cliches probably both "true" and "false".  I work about 5 miles northeast of that location and lived for a year about 1/2 mile due west of it.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »
Oak Cliff is a subsection of Dallas that is very "crime ridden", but is so large that there are many nice neighborhoods within it.  Nice  neighborhoods just a block or two away from absolute 3rd world hellholes. So like most news cliches probably both "true" and "false".  I work about 5 miles northeast of that location and lived for a year about 1/2 mile due west of it.

So basically anywhere with 100 miles of a major city is a crappy neighborhood  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 10:49:31 AM »
I recall hearing stories in College Station that gangs would come out of Houston and drop members off in neighborhoods to go steal whatever they could.  I don't know how true or common that was.  That town is about 100 miles or so from Houston.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »
My house is 26 miles ESE of that area.  The only reason to even go to that part of Dallas is the Farmers Market, or if you work in the area like Stand_Waite.  I looked at some houses in the 'nicer areas', it was still too close to 3rd world type areas.  One house was a great 5br, 4ba 3600sf place at an incredible price.  I walked around a bit and found out why.  Just one block over was some badly run down apartments.  I don't KNOW if they were section 8 or whatever but the hair on the back of my neck stood up as I got closer....

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
. . . I looked at some houses in the 'nicer areas', it was still too close to 3rd world type areas.  One house was a great 5br, 4ba 3600sf place at an incredible price.  I walked around a bit and found out why.  Just one block over was some badly run down apartments.  I don't KNOW if they were section 8 or whatever but the hair on the back of my neck stood up as I got closer....
Just about urban/suburban neighborhood is within easy driving distance of a bad area . . . but I'd hate to be within easy walking distance of the Red Zone.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
As has been mentioned, Oak Cliff is mostly a pit with some nice neighborhoods in it.  Some have always been nice, some are being gentrified. 

If you want a larger buffer between the hood rats and regular people, you need to spend big bucks or go outside Dallas's city limits.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »
As has been mentioned, Oak Cliff is mostly a pit with some nice neighborhoods in it.  Some have always been nice, some are being gentrified. 

If you want a larger buffer between the hood rats and regular people, you need to spend big bucks or go outside Dallas's city limits.

The piney hills of Montana  ;)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »
Well, yeah, that's one factoid. I think another one I've heard a few times is that people with guns in their homes are more likely to be shot.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100204/Guns-in-homes-can-increase-risk-of-death-and-firearm-related-violence.aspx

iirc the now infamous Kellerman study claimed that "guns are bad" in the home.
http://guncite.com/gun-control-kellermann-3times.html
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »

You're more likely to accidentally shoot yourself if you own a gun than not, in much the same way that you're more likely to have a motorcycle accident if you ride one than if you don't. It's a stupid meaningless factoid that gets pimped like it's significant.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
You're more likely to accidentally shoot yourself if you own a gun than not, in much the same way that you're more likely to have a motorcycle accident if you ride one than if you don't. It's a stupid meaningless factoid that gets pimped like it's significant.

This.  You're more likely to drown if you own a swimming pool. Etc etc.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 08:56:53 PM »
Also the "friends and associates" you are more likely to shoot/be shot by include criminal associates; and only killing your attacker counts, if the gun in your home is used to scare away or just wound the assailant it doesn't count.

Kellerman demands blood!
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »

Yeah - when you only count defensive firearms uses resulting in dead bad guys as successful DGUs, and count every misuse of any firearm in any house by anyone on the other side of the ledger, you get grossly-skewed "statistics".

Fortunately, we aren't as bloodthirsty as the victim-disarmament types, and are satisfied to simply stop the attack without necessarily killing the bad guy(s).

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 01:23:28 AM »

[ar15]

Happens all the time...

http://www.newson6.com/story/19858704/12-year-old-girl-shoots-intruder-during-home-invasion

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 04:54:03 AM »
>So basically anywhere with 100 miles of a major city is a crappy neighborhood<

Isn't that what you've been telling us all along, Tallpine?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »
>So basically anywhere with 100 miles of a major city is a crappy neighborhood<

Isn't that what you've been telling us all along, Tallpine?

And now you are all agreeing with me. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »
And now you are all agreeing with me. 

Nope. I grew up in a rural area about 40 miles from Saint Louis. It's not a bad place to live at all. Far enough out that we had livestock for neighbors (and got fresh eggs), but close enough that we could visit a museum or have access to various specialty shops, or whatever. A number of good radio stations was the main, day-to-day benefit (one of my Dad's main forms of entertainment; it's as important to him as high-speed internet is to many people today). Franklin County is supposed to be some hive of meth operations these days. I've never come across it, myself. [shrug] Dad still leaves an ignition key in the floorboard of his vehicles.