Author Topic: 3 D TV is not so popular  (Read 918 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
3 D TV is not so popular
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
So my wife and I were helping some friends move on Saturday, and I was then helping to set up their media room.  They had recently gotten a new Samsung TV at 55 inches or so and it came with the 3-D feature.  They did not buy the TV for the 3-D, but apparently 3-D is now included as a standard feature in a lot of the new bigger screen TVs.  We watched some 3-D content on ESPN and some Blu-Ray DVDs.  I have to say that the 3-D feature rated a solid 'meh' from all of us.  I had earlier read that in terms of sales, 3-D TV has been a real bust, and I can see why.  Also interesting was that one of the people there has significantly decreased vision in one eye, and she said that she could not see the 3-D effect at all.

Does anyone here have a 3-D TV, and has it been worth the money to you?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: 3 D TV is not so popular
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »
When we replaced our old Sony 25" with a flat panel, we checked out the 3D, and pretty much dismissed it after a few minutes.  Frankly, I didn't want to sit around the house wearing the glasses.  Just a gimmick I can live without.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »
Yup, had this discussion the other day. Not interested in current 3D TV at all. When the technology gets to the point that you can buy a reasonably priced 3D TV that doesn't need glasses and that works well, I will reevaluate. Frankly, when I moved from my old Sony Aquos 720p to my Samsung HDTV, the first thing I noticed was that the Samsung had an almost 3D effect to it, just from the high rez, and maybe larger size (52").

Side note - The other thing that bothers me about 3D in general is that way too many movies seem to be coming out primarily geared around the 3D effect. Write a script for God's sake!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »
I'm just going to wait for 4D to come out  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »
Smell-o-vision!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
I bought a non 3D Vizio 47" just over a year ago. I considered going 3D with another brand but got the slightly larger Vizio with other additional features for the same money.

Yet to have any regrets.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:16:00 AM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »
Funny you mention ESPN 3-D content was "meh"...wait about 2-3 years...I started a company doing something that will blow your freakin' mind. :)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »
When we replaced our old Sony 25" with a flat panel, we checked out the 3D, and pretty much dismissed it after a few minutes.  Frankly, I didn't want to sit around the house wearing the glasses.  Just a gimmick I can live without.
Yup, had this discussion the other day. Not interested in current 3D TV at all. When the technology gets to the point that you can buy a reasonably priced 3D TV that doesn't need glasses and that works well, I will reevaluate. Frankly, when I moved from my old Sony Aquos 720p to my Samsung HDTV, the first thing I noticed was that the Samsung had an almost 3D effect to it, just from the high rez, and maybe larger size (52").

Side note - The other thing that bothers me about 3D in general is that way too many movies seem to be coming out primarily geared around the 3D effect. Write a script for God's sake!

GLASSES!  Ick!  I HATE 3D at the theater and I pray it goes by-by and falls into the dustbin of cinematic history.  I wear glasses as it is and those chinzy cardboard things NEVER work well, plus they distort the colors and the whole process gives me a headache.

"The other thing that bothers me about 3D in general is that way too many movies seem to be coming out primarily geared around the 3D effect. Write a script for God's sake!"  ~~ Ben.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  +1    

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
I bought one of the earliest 3D TV models and have no desire whatsoever to buy the 3D converter for it. When I go to our local theater to see a movie I almost always get tickets for the non 3D version ( our theater usually has both) of the movie.

I am way, over 3D.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
Funny you mention ESPN 3-D content was "meh"...wait about 2-3 years...I started a company doing something that will blow your freakin' mind. :)

Given your comments in the nuke threads, I am wondering if I should be scared.

I have little desire for current 3D.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
I'll hold off buying a 3D-TV until they release Bwana Devil as a 3D BlueRay disc.

(I think I'll have a long wait.)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain