Author Topic: Mars Rover  (Read 9703 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Mars Rover
« on: October 24, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZYnIsLNz3c&feature=endscreen

Anyone know what the theory is behind the rover's pathfinding and rangefinding and mapping capabilities?

It can't be GPS driven since there isn't a GPS network of satellites around Mars like Earth.

Is it waypoint driven by humans at a mission control center, in smallish increments like every hundred yards or less?  Does it have rangefinding capabilities and obstacle or pit detection, or obstacle avoidance logic?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Mars Rover
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
maybe it just keeps its sensors peeled for the shiny yellow stuff.   =D  does mars have magnetic pole?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »
It navigates via range finding, image matching, sun tracking, and terrain mapping.  Since it is visible by the orbiter, the resulting position can be refined over time as well.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
Also, I gotta say I am SO impressed by the lander.  Robotic rocket-hover payload deploying device?  Wow!

That thing would look at home in a 23rd century "Alien" movie.  The notion that someone built it to auto-deploy a small car (AFTER being jettisoned from a falling parachute at hundreds of miles an hour!) on the surface of Mars from 300 million miles away is just damned impressive.

The only shame of it is that the device was intentionally crash landed far away from the rover itself, rather than gently landed a few hundred yards or a couple miles away.  Imagine if it could be refueled and used to pick-up the rover again, to help it move across a large canyon or other massive obstacle, or to summit an otherwise un-climbable mesa.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
Does the rover include a star-tracker?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »
Does the rover include a star-tracker?

I don't believe it has a built-for-the purpose one, but a star tracker is camera and software.  A star tracker doesn't do much good, it just tells you attitude, something you can get easily with internal accelerometers.  True, you could estimate longitude and latitude with it, but the signal from the orbiter and the sun provide sufficient references. 

From what I understand, local nav is done with imaging and ranging, large scale nav by tracking it with the orbiter.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
From what I understand, local nav is done with imaging and ranging, large scale nav by tracking it with the orbiter.

In the late 90's we were using COBRA-TAC dive trackers for nearshore bathymetry mapping of smaller areas like shipwreck sites. Once we programmed in a geodetic starting point, which we got via differential GPS, the tracker used range and direction finding to convert everything to lat/long for diver navigation and waypoint marking, while at the same time using active acoustic signal imaging for on the fly high rez 3D seafloor mapping. I would imagine the rover is using a similar (though well-advanced) method for its local navigation and terrain memory.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »
A star tracker doesn't do much good, it just tells you attitude, something you can get easily with internal accelerometers.

Using two or more star trackers can actually give you accurate positioning data instead of just attitude. As an example the LGM-118 peacekeeper ICBM used them for passive in-flight position and navigation updating (part of the reason it was able to achieve 300 foot CEP after traveling 9000 nautical miles down range.)

But I suppose for ground use you could just get by with a really accurate chronometer and some sort of electro-optical sextant.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »
Curiosity is controlled from earth in a sense.  Back at earth, the Rover Planners examine photos taken from Odyssey (the orbiting mars mapping probe / signal relay satellite,) and from the rover itself.  A 3D "mesh" (kind of like a level in a 3D game) is generated, and the basic course is plotted and "sequenced."  Once a sequence has been generated, it's rechecked, compiled, and transmitted to the rover.  Sequences cover everything from driving, photographing, use of the AXPS and other scientific equipment.

The rover does have some autonomy.  If they tell it to basically "go over here," it'll do it's best, but will use several instruments to determing tilt, slippage, and any other hazardous conditions it may run into.  If it finds something it doesn't know how to get around, it'll stop and contact Odyssey (which will then relay the rover's current status back to Earth, hopefully so the RP's can figure out how the hell to get it out of whatever fix it's in.)

The same basic software / strategies were used to great success for both Spirit and Opportunity, which both lasted far beyond their 90 sol assumed design limits.
(Opportunity is actually still functioning, and is currently studying what looks to be evidence of ancient seas on the other side of the planet, )

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
Using two or more star trackers can actually give you accurate positioning data instead of just attitude. As an example the LGM-118 peacekeeper ICBM used them for passive in-flight position and navigation updating (part of the reason it was able to achieve 300 foot CEP after traveling 9000 nautical miles down range.)

But I suppose for ground use you could just get by with a really accurate chronometer and some sort of electro-optical sextant.

Not quite.  The star trackers allowed for better attitude reference to better utilize the accelerometers on the space stable platform.  So position accuracy was indirect.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
Not quite.  The star trackers allowed for better attitude reference to better utilize the accelerometers on the space stable platform.  So position accuracy was indirect.

Hmm. You may be right but I remember it differently. In any case I don't have access to intelink anymore so I can't go back and recheck my source.  :P

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:27:05 PM »
Also, I gotta say I am SO impressed by the lander.  Robotic rocket-hover payload deploying device?  Wow!

That thing would look at home in a 23rd century "Alien" movie.  The notion that someone built it to auto-deploy a small car (AFTER being jettisoned from a falling parachute at hundreds of miles an hour!) on the surface of Mars from 300 million miles away is just damned impressive.

The only shame of it is that the device was intentionally crash landed far away from the rover itself, rather than gently landed a few hundred yards or a couple miles away.  Imagine if it could be refueled and used to pick-up the rover again, to help it move across a large canyon or other massive obstacle, or to summit an otherwise un-climbable mesa.

I'm still kind of geeked out about the whole operation. Restores some small degree of hope for humanity.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
Hmm. You may be right but I remember it differently. In any case I don't have access to intelink anymore so I can't go back and recheck my source.  :P

I based my logic on designing spacecraft, while a true stellar sextant (multiple or wide FOV star trackers integrated over time) can provide some positional accuracy (basically, solving orbital or sub-orbital equations of motion), it take integration time--you need to move over a substantial angle of the orbit (angle much larger than the resolution of the tracker) so it doesn't help when you need the accuracy to operate a PBV, between drop-offs.   But it DOES help substantially with attitude reference of a space-stable platform when there isn't an apparent gravity vector (ie free-fall) or when the attitude of the launch platform may have errors (ie a non-fixed launch, like a sub).  I believe the latter is why a trident could be aided by stellar-aided inertial...but I'd have to check if it actually does,

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
when the attitude of the launch platform may have errors (ie a non-fixed launch, like a sub).

Submarine navigation was was pretty precise 20 years ago, pretty much down to a 3 meter or so accuracy. I can only guess that it is at least as accurate today. Plenty precise enough for a nuke.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
Submarine navigation was was pretty precise 20 years ago, pretty much down to a 3 meter or so accuracy. I can only guess that it is at least as accurate today. Plenty precise enough for a nuke.

I wonder if that could have been a good re-use of the decommed peacekeeper parts. They had an ultra-accurate inertial navigation system.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/Airs.html

Perhaps it could  be installed in the subs instead?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 04:34:13 PM »
I wonder if that could have been a good re-use of the decommed peacekeeper parts. They had an ultra-accurate inertial navigation system.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/Airs.html

Perhaps it could  be installed in the subs instead?

Sub ones are better.

The issue isn't the quality, it's the integration time.  Angular errors build up over time. 

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »

Heck, I'd take 3 meters, even for a MOAB.  I'd even settle for 50 meters.

After all, it's horseshoes, right?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 12:35:28 AM »
Sub ones are better.

:O

*scoots chair closer* Do tell. I was under the impression that the AIRS was pretty much state of the art for this sort of thing.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
:O

*scoots chair closer* Do tell. I was under the impression that the AIRS was pretty much state of the art for this sort of thing.

AIRS is pretty good.  But you can do better when you are less space and weight constrained.

Btw, side note, the best gyros in the world are the gravity probe B gyros.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
That is all very nice but can it make a decent cup of coffee?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
It can heat it up, using either the laser or just boiling the water off the RTG pack....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »
AIRS is pretty good.  But you can do better when you are less space and weight constrained.

Btw, side note, the best gyros in the world are the gravity probe B gyros.

IIRC,  quartz spheres so perfect if they were  expanded to the size Earth, the biggest bump would be something like .25 inches high or whatever...

Seven orders of magnitude less drift than the best .mil gyros.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
IIRC,  quartz spheres so perfect if they were  expanded to the size Earth, the biggest bump would be something like .25 inches high or whatever...

Seven orders of magnitude less drift than the best .mil gyros.

Yup, and superconducting (niobium coated), spun up with gas jets.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »
Electrostatically supported Beryllium Sphere spinning really fast.

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2006/12/navy-opts-to-continue-supporting-precise-navigation-system-for-ballistic-missile-submarines.html

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=670128&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel4%2F5490%2F14769%2F00670128.pdf%3Farnumber%3D670128

When I was doing it the ESGN systems were pretty freaking accurate. They were also updated as needed by external position fixes from NAVSAT, OMEGA , visualand towards the end of my time in, GPS as well as calibrated to the known pier side position.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
IIRC, Mars doesn't have magnetic poles, one of the reasons why it's atmosphere is so thin.

Yep,

http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/personnel/russell/papers/mars_mag/

Magnetic poles protect the atmosphere from solar winds.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.