Author Topic: What should the US policy be towards Pakistan?  (Read 1676 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What should the US policy be towards Pakistan?
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:22:05 PM »
My wife and I were discussing the third Presidential debate and the question about Pakistan.  Billions of dollars a year that we give them in foreign aid to them, and they are not the most reliable ally by a long shot.  I have also thought that if any conflict in the world goes nuclear, India vs. Pakistan would be right at the top of the list.  Especially after we leave Afghanistan, does the US have a vested interest in continuing financial support of Pakistan and their intelligence service, who seems to be actively working against us?  I think that we would be better off in supporting India over Pakistan.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: What should the US policy be towards Pakistan?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »
My wife and I were discussing the third Presidential debate and the question about Pakistan.  Billions of dollars a year that we give them in foreign aid to them, and they are not the most reliable ally by a long shot.  I have also thought that if any conflict in the world goes nuclear, India vs. Pakistan would be right at the top of the list.  Especially after we leave Afghanistan, does the US have a vested interest in continuing financial support of Pakistan and their intelligence service, who seems to be actively working against us?  I think that we would be better off in supporting India over Pakistan.

^ My thoughts exactly. Foreign aid only to allies who need the help. Foreign aid is just another sink hole that needs to be stopped. Maybe not cold turkey but lets wind it down over a short timetable.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
Considering we borrow most of the money we spend, foriegn aid must die.  Any policy that does not include that is made of pure fail.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »
Cut the money flow. Only a *expletive deleted*ing retard pays his enemies money.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »
Cut the money flow. Only a *expletive deleted* retard pays his enemies money.

And yet its been the lynchpin of US foriegn policy for years.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »
I'm with you guys on the foreign aid gut reaction, and I get it... and I agree that we have a major budget problem.

But about 7-8 years ago (IIRC), Pakistan had a coup.

Our foreign aid was part of what kept us "in the loop" in regards to the security of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal during that coup.

In that case, it was money well spent.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:23:08 AM »
Bribes, in dealing with certain cultures, have their place, but the calculation must pay off in terms of worse alternatives.  Ours, by and large, don't seem to have.  Anywhere.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
Bribes, in dealing with certain cultures, have their place, but the calculation must pay off in terms of worse alternatives.  Ours, by and large, don't seem to have.  Anywhere.

+1. The carrot is a worthwhile incentive. It should be earned, though, and balanced with an appropriate stick in cases of treachery or duplicity.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:29:09 PM »
Considering we borrow most of the money we spend, foriegn aid must die.  Any policy that does not include that is made of pure fail.

Quoted for truth.

Would any sane person whose credit cards are all maxed out and who is facing foreclosure on his house BORROW money to give at church on Sunday? We can't afford to be doling out foreign aid, and it's especially idiotic to be giving money to countries who hate us and who work against us.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:30:57 PM »
In that case, it was money well spent.

Why/how was it money well spent? Pakistan wouldn't have tried to nuke the USA -- if they had tried to nuke anyone, it would have been India -- and if that had happened we wouldn't be discussing Pakistan right now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
If I recall correctly from my reading back then, we were concerned that the Pakistani nuclear weapons may end up in the hands of Islamic terrorists or to the highest bidder.  I had read that the US and UK had developed contingency plans for using special forces to either seize and remove from the country, or destroy in place, the weapons.  We were apparently going to stage out of India, who would have denied any knowledge of the operation.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
You're either with us or against us we will continue to put up with tacit and even material support of terrorists known to be hostile to US interests and all the while continuing to provide millions of American dollars to suport you corrupt regime...

Oh,, wait

That's pretty much what we do now isn't it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 11:14:26 PM »
Effum and the white horse they rode in on.  On the way out the door I'd remind 'em that we know here the live, and that it would go badly for them, did any nukage leak out of their control.  Oh, very, VERY badly indeed.

They play North Vietnam to the Taliban Vietcong.  I gnash my teeth I anger as I consider their despicable behavior.  There are fresh widows and orphans weeping because of those pissants.

"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 06:34:12 AM »
The problem with foreign aid today seems to be that we do not have anyone we are competing againast for their "loyalty".  Back when there was an Evil Empire there was a contest for whose side a country was going to be on.  Nowdays we are reduced to importing money that represents the trappings of The Great Satan to counter a political system using a religion as cover who hates our way of life probably because they can't have it.  (very simplified description of the whole mess)

So who are we paying the Pakis (and all the others) to like us better than?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 06:48:56 AM »
How do we have a coherent policy toward an incoherent country?

Is this not the fundamental problem with all of our middle east "partners" and "allies"?

Any policy will inevitably be piecemeal / Frankenstein's monster.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 08:39:58 AM »
The problem with foreign aid today seems to be that we do not have anyone we are competing againast for their "loyalty".  Back when there was an Evil Empire there was a contest for whose side a country was going to be on.  Nowdays we are reduced to importing money that represents the trappings of The Great Satan to counter a political system using a religion as cover who hates our way of life probably because they can't have it.  (very simplified description of the whole mess)

So who are we paying the Pakis (and all the others) to like us better than?

stay safe.

I'd bet that China and Russia are still very much in the game.
The notion that the Cold War is ancient history is nonsense. The players shifted position a little but the games go on.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:54:01 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams