Author Topic: Anyone for sake?  (Read 1298 times)

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
Anyone for sake?
« on: July 02, 2006, 11:56:16 AM »
No, I don't mean "have you forsaken anything", I mean -- does anyone here like sake, the Japanese beverage?

I just can't make up my mind whether I like it or loath it! Every time I take a sip, I get the same sequential responses:

1) Bleurrrgh!! Old cardboard and vinegar! Who the hell would...

2) Oh, I dunno -- is that coconut, or maybe...

3) Brandy! Almost like sherry, but less bitter... mmm!

4) Oh hell! I can't make up my mind... (goto 1)

Is this normal? I'm drinking Sanchi brand, BTW. I'm a Nipponophile, so I want to like it... only, like green-tea, I sorta can't. :/

What's your take on the ricey booze?

Lo.Com

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Anyone for sake?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »
Good stuff.
Try it over ice.  Yes I know legend says to drink it warm but apparantly people cool it all the time.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Chuck Dye

Anyone for sake?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 02:09:08 PM »
I enjoy sake, hot or cold.  I especially enjoy unfiltered sake cold in the summer.

I rarely enjoy the prices, tho. Cheesy

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Anyone for sake?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 02:18:16 PM »
If I'm in the mood, I like sake just fine... I've not had it too often, though, and my tastes are more fine-tuned to scotch (especially Lagavulin) at the moment. Smiley

Sake is one of those things (in my opinion) that has to be sprung on me out of nowhere--"Hey!  I've got sake, would you like some?" Cheesy
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Anyone for sake?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »
Hot sake good...

Of course the only place I've ever had any was in Japan. I imagine the stuff we get here is crud compared to what they drink there. Beleive it or not, the Japanese make a pretty decent whiskey too. Try some high end Suntory sometime. Smoooooth...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
Anyone for sake?
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 04:33:00 AM »
Cold, and unfiltered.  Sushi must be present, of course.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
Anyone for sake?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 06:05:47 AM »
Just tried some over ice -- that's the ticket! Smiley

Almost completely bypasses step 1 of the sequence! Still, couldn't manage more than half a small glass of the stuff at one time. Guess my guts are just not made for foreign food and drink...

Chuck Dye

Anyone for sake?
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 06:54:36 AM »
Lo.Com.Denom,

You may be drinking too high up the scale.  A former roommate, Masanobu, once asked me to pick up sake when I called home for a shopping list.  Masa was adamant that I buy the cheaper of two grades at the store I was going to.  I bought both and held a blind taste test among the house mates.  We found two classes in the house:  those who gagged on both grades, and those who strongly prefer the cheaper stuff.  No one selected the higher grade.  The brand was Gekeikan, imported from Japan as this tale predates the California brewed Gekeikan, and, if memory serves, the two grades we tested were actually grades three and four, the top two grades either not imported or extremely scarce in California.

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
Anyone for sake?
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 12:11:47 PM »
Interesting... I looked on the bottle (now residing in the fridge) and I don't see any grades marked on it. It is brewed in the USA though, and imported to England. Actually, I'm having a hard time finding out anything at all about "Sanchi", the brewer. Make of that what you will... Cheesy

Interesting note here on whether to warm sake or not:

http://www.sake-world.com/html/hot-or-cold.html

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Anyone for sake?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 12:20:56 PM »
Why on earth would you want sake when you can get Carlsberg on draught at any corner pub?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

stevelyn

• friend
Anyone for sake?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 01:19:16 PM »
I've tried it. I've tried to aquire a taste for it both hot and cold. I can't. I'll just stick to Sapporo with my sushi.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.