Author Topic: what guns are essential?  (Read 6437 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
what guns are essential?
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:06:16 AM »
Last week I asked what books everyone should read and got some real good ideas for books to buy before the coming EMP apocalypse turns us all back into book readers like when we were kids.

This week my question is what guns should everyone own?

Off the top of my head, I'd say a quality bolt gun in a common caliber, a semi in possibly the same caliber.
A 1911 .45acp of some kind, a shotgun maybe an 870?
Beside your other semi rifle an AR15 and or AR10
& as many milsurps as you can buy for trade during the EMP apocalypse coming soon - in which I'm totally unprepared for.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Regolith

• friend
Re: what guns are essential?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:25:46 AM »
I'd say your list depends on just why you own guns.

These are what I'd consider the Bare Minimum:

If you are a prepper?

1) A semi-auto, magazine fed rifle, such as an AK-47, AR-15, M1A, Mini-14, etc,
2) A concealable pistol of your choice
3) OPTIONAL: A good bolt action rifle in .223 or .308.
Preferably 2 of each (one is none, 2 is one).

If you are a hunter?

1) A bolt or lever action in a decent big game cartridge (.30-30, .308, .30-06, etc).
2) A .22lr, preferably a rifle of some kind
3) 12 gauge shotgun, preferably pump action

With those three you can take any game animal without much trouble, and the pump gun can double for HD.

Just interested in self-defense?

1) a concealable pistol
2) a long gun of some kind, such as a shotgun, a pistol-caliber carbine in the same caliber as your carry gun, or a semi-auto such as an AR-15, Mini-14, M1A, etc.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
I'd say your list depends on just why you own guns.

These are what I'd consider the Bare Minimum:

If you are a prepper?

If you are a hunter?

Just interested in self-defense?

Sure!  Stuff us into pigeon holes, why don't you!

Next thing we know, you will be relegating the .45 v. 9mm debate to some arbitrarily limited endeavor, too.

Leaving behind "essential", the argument could be advanced that a rifle in .22LR might be the most versatile.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 07:38:12 AM »
FAL
10/22

Optional:
AR.

There, 4+1 and you cover all 3 categories :)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »
10-22
GP-100

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
I need a 10/22. Hrm.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
I wont say specific models, different strokes for different folks and all that.

But a good side arm, preferably concealable. A good bolt gun, preferably in a common caliber that is widely available. And a good semi auto rifle for the zombie hordes. Preferably in the same caliber as the bolt gun.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »
By asking for a list of "essential" guns, you get a significant helping of personal preference as well.  ;)

But I'll play:

10/22
Glock 19 gen 4
Andy

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
Handguns: j-frame S&W .38, a Glock 19, and a stout S&W stainless revolver, 4-6 inch, in .357 or .44M

Rimfires: A reliable repeating scoped rifle (10/22, Henry or Marlin lever, or a CZ-45x).  J or K frame .22 revolver

Shotguns:  Remington 870 12g w/ 18.5" Rifle sighted slug barrel + 26" Rem-Choke barrel.  Repeat as necessary.

Liberty defense:  M4gery and/or some .30 cal rifle, either FAL or M1A or Garand.

Hunting: Scoped turnbolt, chambered in either .30-'06, or .308, depending on your choice of rifles above.

A person (or family) is well-equipped to face the uncertainties of life with such a battery.  Well, at least those which require the use or threat of force.

Good, but hard to justify: Pistol caliber carbines, such as Marlin 1894, Beretta Storm, Keltec Sub2000.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »
Absolute bare minimum?

Fighting Carbine/Rifle
Pistol

Choose what models best suit you.

What do I stock?
Fighting Carbine (5.56)
DMR (7.62)
AMR (BMG)
Pistol (9mm)
Foraging Shotgun (12g)
Foraging Rifle (.22)

This doesn't count my antiques and relics.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »
As has been said above, you'll get a boatload of answers based on opinion and what people like / do that defines "essential". For me, if I looked at it as "minimal" collection for any contingency, it would be:

Rifle (doesn't matter what kind - a bolt gun can be used for defense, an M1A can shoot a deer)
Pistol
Shotgun
.22 rifle

Other than the .22, I would just do some common caliber, and make the shotgun a pump, possibly like the Mossberg 500 combo with the 18" and 28" barrels.

If it was me personally and forced to pare down what I already own to my "essentials":

M1A
Rem 788
Mossberg 500 combo
Ruger 10/22
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 10:57:14 AM »
I assume you have read One Second After by William Forstchen.  I will use that book as sort of my model for firearm choices.

Needs are true SHTF stuff... both foraging/hunting and defensive.  The problem is consolidating the list down to a manageable number.  I'll give it a try.  There won't be a lot of plinking going on at this point.  It is about life and death.  There would be hunting and foraging going on, but the real test is against a organized force wanting to take what you have.  Strength will be in numbers both offensively and defensively.

AR Platform rifle or Mini 14 Rifle. [One per person with a backup at a rate of 1/3 (or one rifle per 3 rifles).]  Primarily for self defense, but could be used for hunting.  You will need a sufficient number of magazines.

22LR or 22WMR for small game hunting and possibly deer sized game hunting.  I lean toward a 22 WMR rifle assuming you have a good supply of ammo.  Otherwise a 22 rifle for each person.  If you have multiple family membes, probably 22 rifles for each and at least one 22 Mag rifle for more serious pursuits.

9mm or 40 S&W handgun for each person at same rate as the rifle (1 per person + backups).  Used pretty much for self defense.  Holsters for each.

12 ga pump shotguns (one per person) for primarily defensive purposes with modest hunting especially for folks that can's shoot well. Slings fitted for each.

One traditional hunting type rifle in a center fire caliber sufficient for deer and black bear.

I would have a few revolvers with holsters.  Choose your favorite calibers with those.  But clearly being competent with a hunting revolver transfers to longer range defensive needs if you don't have a rifle with you.  I would carry a revolver day to day and move to semi-auto's for more combat like situations.

This assumes you are working from a "stable" base camp or house where the firearms can be stored and chosen as the need develops.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:01:58 AM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else what they should have, but ...

If I were starting over today, I would seriously consider skipping everything else (like .357) and going with a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 magnum and a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum.

But it would also be nice to have some .22 RF, so add a Single Six and a Marlin 39 for fun and practice, and small game/pests.

You will say "but what about a bolt rifle and a shotgun and a snubbie and a battle rifle" but for my lifestyle the above 22/44 pairs would take care of just about everything.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »
Is there a particular "must have" 22LR rifle?

I was thinking bolt action over semi auto for TEOTWAWKI.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 11:11:55 AM »

Ruger 10/22

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »
For a Prepper, a Taurus Judge.

For a hunter, a Taurus Judge.

For self defense, a Taurus Judge.

It does everything!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »

I was thinking bolt action over semi auto for TEOTWAWKI.

10/22, out of the box it's okay, a little work and it's as accurate as you will ever need unless you are match shooting.  And when shooting at food, a quick follow up shot may be the differene between hungry and not.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »
I like the Marlin Model 60 with the underbarrel tubular magazine if going semi-auto.  You don't have to worry about loosing mags.  I also like the Marlin 39A or Winchester 9422.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »
I like the Marlin Model 60 with the underbarrel tubular magazine if going semi-auto.  You don't have to worry about loosing mags.  I also like the Marlin 39A or Winchester 9422.
This. I much prefer my Model 60 to every stock 10/22 I've held.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 02:09:02 PM »
At least this isn't a "what one gun" thread.

Define your needs, delineate the limits of the possible, work within your constraints.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »
I think I'm covered.  =D =D But, but, I want more!!!!

If it is got to be cheap, reliable and useful then a 12ga pump must be had by all. Luckily I have 3 and an auto loader. Kill anything from tweety bird to bear, good SD choice, common ammo. Only downsides aare limited range, limited ammo capacity, and heavy ammo if you are carrying it far.

Not going to be everyone's cup of tea or budget, but I like combo guns courtesy of my dad. You can get a lot accomplished in one hunting trip with a 12x12x.30-06 drilling. I know his scope QDs, but I'm pretty sure he's wingshot with it mounted, expensive 1-7x . Dropped a turkey at 275 yards with the rifle, so it shoots well enough.

I have my civil defense force kit too, a bunch of K-31s. Cheap, simple, accurate, hard-hitting. And I'm the only one in the county with ammo, a positive if you like control.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »
I saw a lot of 1911 recommendations above.  In my experience, 1911s are finicky and buggy unless you really know what you are doing.  I think would rather recommend a Glock or XD in .45acp instead.  You could nearly carry two of either for the same weight.  Thinking simple, my S&W 625 in .45 might be a better alternative.

For "one" 22 rifle, think a tube fed rifle would be best also.  Keep it simple with few extra parts/accessories to carry outside of ammo.  I think that especially applies for "spare" guns that are not your primary defensive gun.  You only have so many pockets. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
I saw a lot of 1911 recommendations above.  In my experience, 1911s are finicky and buggy unless you really know what you are doing.  I think would rather recommend a Glock or XD in .45acp instead.  You could nearly carry two of either for the same weight.  Thinking simple, my S&W 625 in .45 might be a better alternative.

For "one" 22 rifle, think a tube fed rifle would be best also.  Keep it simple with few extra parts/accessories to carry outside of ammo.  I think that especially applies for "spare" guns that are not your primary defensive gun.  You only have so many pockets. 

I'd pack either my G21 45 or my USP45, not my 1911.

As for tube fed 22 or magazine fed 10/22...I'd still take the 10/22, namely because it's the most popular 22 rifle, and there are zillions of them so you are likely to encounter other with the same rifles and parts.  Also, it has by far the largest parts support.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
Pump shotgun? When I switched from a pump to a semi auto shotgun as my main hunting shotgun in 1997, I'll never go back. Go shoot a Benelli sometime and you will know what I mean. My Benelli SBE can cycle though a magazine faster than any pump, this has been tested time and time again against with a shot timer.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »
At least this isn't a "what one gun" thread.

Define your needs, delineate the limits of the possible, work within your constraints.

Before Kim Du Toit took down his "The Front Page" blog he used to run a sort-of annual "contest" asking readers to explain what one modern rifle and what one modern pistol they would take, along with how much of what ammo, to cross the USA on foot like the early settlers did.  IIRC he picked St. Jo as the starting point and ended in San Francisco.  That was a discussion with some heat behind it!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.