Author Topic: what guns are essential?  (Read 6436 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: what guns are essential?
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »
Pump shotgun? When I switched from a pump to a semi auto shotgun as my main hunting shotgun in 1997, I'll never go back. Go shoot a Benelli sometime and you will know what I mean. My Benelli SBE can cycle though a magazine faster than any pump, this has been tested time and time again against with a shot timer.

Pumps are cheaper and cycle ANYTHING. Semi-autos not so much.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
Essential?

Why you need gun, civilian? You not trust dear Government for safety?

Obamney, he protect us loooong time. Kill terror. You hand over weapon, get food stamp reward.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »
Pumps are cheaper and cycle ANYTHING. Semi-autos not so much.

I've actually had more problems with my pump shotguns vs the auto. As long as I keep my Benelli lubricated it will cycle the lightest trap loads.

Problems I have had with Mossberg the cartridge stop and the cartridge interupter are made of really soft steel and eventually will bend out spec and shells won't load from the magazine.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »
I've got multiple options for multiple calibers. For /22 rf I've got a revolver and a semi-auto pistol, for .22 rf rifle I've got semi-auto, pump and lever action.

Same trick with center fire. .357 mag carbine and .357 mag revolver. Both capable of .357 mag and .38 special loads.
Shotguns covered with pump, double barrel and single barrel in the same gauge.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
Glock 17, 19 or 34 (EDC open carry, no excuses, gun all the time)
AR-15 or M14 variant of your choice (hunting and defensive rifle)
Mossberg 590 12 ga (small game weapon, also serviceable as fighting arm inside of 100 yards)
10/22 or .22 rifle of choice (small game weapon)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 09:02:22 PM »
Well, I said pump because you can get a good one for $100 used if you look; i.e. my Ithaca 37 police gun. My Saiga may convert me, but if you are talking for everyone, simpler is better. For ease of use most people are probably better off with a single shot Stevens.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 09:21:56 PM »
when shooting at food, a quick follow up shot may be the differene between hungry and not.

Or moving to Beverly Hills or not.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 10:28:27 PM »
Problems I have had with Mossberg the cartridge stop and the cartridge interupter are made of really soft steel and eventually will bend out spec and shells won't load from the magazine.

Well there's your problem.  :P

In any case, I wasn't talking about just trap loads, but also specialty shells as well. Flares, for instance.

Also, when you only have 8 rounds (at most, for most HD/tactical setups), speed isn't quite as important as accuracy. Few people can transition from one target to the next fast enough to utilize the extra speed a semi-auto gives you.

There are only two big advantages that a semi-auto really has over a pump gun. The first is less recoil, and the second is the ability to more or less operate with one hand, leaving the other free to hold a flashlight or whatever. The second can be mitigated with a mounted flashlight, and the first depends on the shooter.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »
I don't have a shotgun yet; was wondering about the pump vs. autoloader thing.  (looks like there's still not consensus)

To the original question, I think a .22LR rifle should be really high on the list, and next is maybe a .357 Magnum revolver (loaded with .38 Specials most of the time.)  Then a shotgun, and some kind of battle rifle or "assault rifle".  A Glock 19 or a BHP is pretty far down the list; I plan on avoiding situations where I need an auto pistol.  (I do have a couple, and lots of 20 and 30 round mags for the BHP)

If the only gun you have is a tube-magazine .22, you're not in not in bad shape.

This is not the order in which I bought guns.

Good, but hard to justify: Pistol caliber carbines, such as Marlin 1894, Beretta Storm, Keltec Sub2000.
Marlin 1894C is not hard to justify at all.  I live in a small city.  A walnut-n-blue lever gun looks nonthreatening (so I don't get shot on sight by the police), and has a longer range than any shot I could possibly take from my property.  It also has maybe 80% or more of the power of a .30-30 and twice the capacity -- and you can top it off without taking it out of the fight.
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »
Every gun I own is absolutely essential. Also some other ones I still need to buy.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

birdman

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 12:58:39 AM »
Good, but hard to justify: Pistol caliber carbines, such as Marlin 1894, Beretta Storm, Keltec Sub2000.

Left off my favorite carbine (and probably my favorite in my collection): Kriss Vector :)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2012, 01:20:12 AM »
I don't buy the "non threatening" argument.  While a lever gun will look more "hunting" rifle in your backseat or hanging in your truck gun rack, if things are so sideways you're openly displaying a rifle then I don't buy the police wouldn't see you as more/less threat depending on your firearm type.
I like the lever gun for its ease of use, load one shoot one ability, and common caliber a that are all over the place. Light handy and shooting modern ammo quite deadly.   Also the scabbard ready design means a lever gun can be slid into a lot of places many other rifles don't fit.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 01:32:44 AM »
Levergun has the same utility as a tube-fed shotgun, IMO.

Low capacity, more powerful than a handgun.  Good, but not as great as a semiauto magazine fed centerfire combat rifle.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 01:34:17 AM »
Shotgun may have more utility if you consider hunting loads, but lever gun has lighter ammo.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 07:34:42 AM »
We suck. 2 pages in and no one has said an M-2. Believe me, if I had the money it'd be essential.  :rofl:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »
I don't buy the "non threatening" argument.  While a lever gun will look more "hunting" rifle in your backseat or hanging in your truck gun rack, if things are so sideways you're openly displaying a rifle then I don't buy the police wouldn't see you as more/less threat depending on your firearm type.

Wow. The changes in less than 30 years. When I was growing up, there was ALWAYS a rifle or two in the back window of the truck - of nearly every truck you saw.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

birdman

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »
Essential:
M134 minigun
Can be used for hunting, self defense, logging, etc.
Difficult to carry, and required ammo quantities are heavy, but just like "racking the slide on a shotgun will scare burglars" (j/k) powering up minigun barrel motor and associated whir should have significant deterrent effects :)

Mk19
"see that guy? F$&@ him and anyone near him"...'nough said.

Phased plasma rifle in the 40W range.  
Because what good are essential guns if you can't take out a terminator?

And finally
M198 155mm cannon.  
You did say "guns" not "firearms" :)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
If you are going for the mini-gun, you might want to lay in a couple hundred thousand primers and a lot of powder for reloading. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
If you are going for the mini-gun, you might want to lay in a couple hundred thousand primers and a lot of powder for reloading. 

I've got that part already   :angel:
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 09:17:51 AM »
Wow. The changes in less than 30 years. When I was growing up, there was ALWAYS a rifle or two in the back window of the truck - of nearly every truck you saw.

Still depends upon the state and sometimes even to county or township level.

When I go to Wyoming, it is nothing for me to see a rifle or shotgun uncased in the vehicle.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »

Even here in Texas its a rare sight anymore unless you're out a good ways from the cities.

Oh, and my list.
I say, it depends, first, on which group you're in.  These would be my top picks if I was just waving a magic wand to equip someone.

"shooter".  Someone with at least some solid training or .mil experience. 

DA sidearm.  I'd never feel undergunned with a G17.  Yes, I know, I'm a 1911 fanboi but when it boils down to reliability, ease of use, and capacity for combat I'd want the G17. 
In a really ideal situation I'd have a can for said G17 as well.

AR-15/M4gery.  Carbine to mid-length, not a varmint gun.

Scoped bolt gun in an everyday caliber ('06, .308 would be my top picks).  Lightweight model of some kind.

.22lr rifle with a can if at all possible.

For the non shooter? (Like say a hunter or someone who shoots a little but has had no real "formal" training)

G17 or .357 wheel gun(s)
.22lr semi auto. 10/22 is a good choice, my only complaint is mine gets finicky when dirty and running cheap ammo.
.30-30 lever gun (Marlin 336 with scope)
Rem 870 pump gun.  HD model with extra hunting barrel.
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
I like the lever gun for its ease of use, load one shoot one ability, and common caliber a that are all over the place. Light handy and shooting modern ammo quite deadly.   Also the scabbard ready design means a lever gun can be slid into a lot of places many other rifles don't fit.

That's when you need one of them long "doc holliday" dusters or a long aussie outback coat  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
That's when you need one of them long "doc holliday" dusters or a long aussie outback coat  ;)

I'm saving my duster for the zombpocolypse (Tm)
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »
I'm saving my duster for the zombpocolypse (Tm)

"suit" yourself  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
Phased plasma rifle in the 40W range. 
Because what good are essential guns if you can't take out a terminator?

EMP Fail!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama