Author Topic: Effects of Hurricane on the election?  (Read 5337 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Effects of Hurricane on the election?
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:28:58 AM »
We've got a significant chunk of the country being hammered into varying degrees of destruction by this storm. It is conceivable that there may still be large numbers of people without power and other basic services 7 days from now. What affect will that have on the election?

I'm not aware of any constitutional provisions for a rain delay. Is it possible to delay/extend voting in the worst hit areas? If so is it possible to hold the results from the rest of the country so as not to sway the late voters?

Never let a crisis go to waste.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Effects of Hurricane on the election?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 06:58:43 AM »
I think there is enough time to get power to critical facilities and voting centers.  We'll see.  I don't think I am in favor of a delay.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 07:05:57 AM »
Congress has the power to change the date of counting the electors and the uniform date of national polling. Nov 6 is not a required date.

But changing it is probably unnecessary.

One of the natures of the electoral college is that it is not a national vote. So whether NY get 8M votes cast, or 1M; if Obama still wins NY, then he still gets all the electoral votes and doesn't change the national scene at all.

The only effect it might have is on swing states, in which case the vote balance will favor the party with the most motivated base... "come hell or high water, I will vote".
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:27:31 AM »
I think "delaying" anything would turn a lot of  [tinfoil] people into  [ar15]
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me to see Obama's camp calling for a delay.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him try to circumvent Congress and try to delay the election himself.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:03 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me to see Obama's camp calling for a delay.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him try to circumvent Congress and try to delay the election himself.

Yea, only Congress can do that. And the states have to implement it anyways. There's a lot of logistics involved.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:52:07 AM »
Yea, only Congress can do that. And the states have to implement it anyways. There's a lot of logistics involved.

Agreed.  There is no legal or practical way Obama could change the date of the election.  But, given his narcissism, I would not put it past him to try.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »
There's been some talk that certain reports that come out of Washington - consumer confidence, employment, etc. - could be delayed.

A delay of bad news would help Obama.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
There's been some talk that certain reports that come out of Washington - consumer confidence, employment, etc. - could be delayed.

A delay of bad news would help Obama.
Unless it is worse than what has already been issued, I really doubt it would matter.  I figured no really bad stuff would be issued until after the election anyway.  Now they have an excuse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

agricola

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »
Watching from over here on the calm side of the pond, it does seem that the organization at a state level seems to have been vastly superior to that seen during Katrina, especially in New Jersey. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
Watching from over here on the calm side of the pond, it does seem that the organization at a state level seems to have been vastly superior to that seen during Katrina, especially in New Jersey. 

Different type of people that live there.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 03:36:33 PM »

Unselfishly volunteer to serve another term and delay the election until 2016  =|

"Circumvent Congress"  ???  Heck, they just need to get on board and do as he says  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »
State law controls most of the issues regarding elections, such as the times polls are open, etc.  While Obama may call for a delay in the counting of the electors, it won't matter because the state results will already be in the news, and anyone with a civics book and a calculator can figure out the results.

Where I see it getting interesting is come next Tuesday when someone argues that because of flooding, etc., people should be allowed to vote on Wednesday.  When the state says no, watch the lawsuits fly.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »

Where I see it getting interesting is come next Tuesday when someone argues that because of flooding, etc., people should be allowed to vote on Wednesday.  When the state says no, watch the lawsuits fly.

Too busy looting to bother with voting? [popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »
Too busy looting to bother with voting? [popcorn]

And they were disenfranchised when the State actually closed the polling places, so these people should be allowed to vote on November 7, 8, and 9!
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »
And they were disenfranchised when the State actually closed the polling places, so these people should be allowed to vote on November 7, 8, and 9!
With "and" being the key word there in place of "or".   =)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »
The more time goes by and this gets discussed on the airwaves, the greater the concern that ANY delay is going to throw such a massive monkey wrench into the political scene that it would be better to get cracking at figuring out how TO vote next Tuesday than to reschedule it.

While NJ Gov. Christie was correct in noting that at the moment his state had "bigger fish to fry" than worrying about the election, that will not necessarily be the situation by, say, the weekend.  The same holds for the other states that are now engaged in disaster recovery.  As long as Obama does not do to the vanilla cities what Bush did to the chocolate ones, there is a good chance that folks can be un-stranded in time to fill in a ballot while getting bottled water off the back of a NG truck.

Quite frankly, my personal view is that the storm and aftermath can do nothing to help Obama and may do enough to cause him to lose by a mandate.  He must "act Presidential" but there is no way he can speed up relief/clean-up/recovery, let alone keep abreast of the toll as Sandy now sweeps towards the Great Lakes and threatens to literally tear down his home town, then sweep up to Minneapolis-St. Paul.  (Honestly, I am greatly conflicted at the threat of Chicago, Madison, and St. Paul being flattened.)  If you thought "Bush slow to respond" was ugly, think what it will be like when the entitlement classes are literally left cold and hungry by the Light-Bringer.

As I say, I am greatly conflicted.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »
He must "act Presidential"

Yeah, his first step was to flee to Florida before the storm.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
Yeah....but he took along a bucket to help "bail out".

agricola

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
Yeah....but he took along a bucket to help "bail out".

and a TARP to cover a leaking roof?

*gets coat*
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:54 PM »
Minimal, In my humble opinion
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 10:06:04 AM »
What an ass.  During a stop to check on Hurricane relief...."I want every agency to lean forward[barf]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
I think Obama's personal popularity will increase as a result of the storm.  Whether or not that translates into votes is another matter.  He's the President and has center stage.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
I think Obama's personal popularity will increase as a result of the storm.  Whether or not that translates into votes is another matter.  He's the President and has center stage.
That is only going to happen if he "acts Presidential".  I am not sure he is capable right now.  Despiration and arrogance are a bad mix.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »

Agreed. He gets to look important without having to actually do anything. Governor Christie won't stop singing his praises while the media has nothing to ask Romney except why he wants to cut FEMA.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.