Author Topic: Effects of Hurricane on the election?  (Read 5338 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Effects of Hurricane on the election?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »
Most people made up their minds some time ago.  Or should have.

If Obama were the best FEMA guy in the world, it wouldn't change anything. 

Obama creates disasters, he doesn't heal them.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
Tamara gets all over "acting Presidential" in the wake of the storm.

This is going to be the annoying part of the disaster, where everybody's busy busting arse as hard as they can to fix things, but the weather has calmed down enough to let all the politicians and wannabe-politicians get out from under cover and, along with their flappers and sideboys, get all underfoot trying to look officious'n'concerned where people are trying to do actual work.

In a perfect world any politician, from president down to dog catcher, that showed up would be handed a mop and told to get busy. If they could not figure out how to operate the mop and demonstrate a minimal level of competence with it, they would be booted from whatever office they held.

I have not been listening - has Obama extended his timeframe for power to be restored and everything made all better?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
Never let a good disaster go to waste.

I believe Obama was also planning on cutting FEMA.  My question is "what is the responsibility of the Federal Government?"  A talk show host locally was spewing his garbage about Romney privating disaster response.  He used an example of a big snow in a small town in Maine as not being worth the interest of a private contractor because the town can't afford much.  My thought is "When did FEMA get into the snow plowing business?"  I mean, what on earth is a disaster anymore?  My water line broke.... should FEMA be called?

I think there needs to be a discussion about just what is FEMA's responsibility in a disaster?  Clearly Sandy was a disaster requiring a federal response.  But where is the line drawn?  There was talk about judging a disaster by how many Waffle House's were closed due to a storm.  Works for the South, but not the northeast.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »
I believe Obama was also planning on cutting FEMA.

Obama cut government? :O
Got a source on that one?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »
Cut FEMA?  Aren't they supposed to run the re-ed centers and the detention camps?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 09:18:04 PM »
FEMA used to be the folks that lost your SBA/FHA loan paperwork after a disaster.  It was the Salvation Army and Red Cross (among others) who came in an provided food, clothing and shelter to get people back on their feet. 

Let's see which one works better.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303404704577309220933715082.html
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »
I heard that Obama planned on cutting FEMA (a little) via Fox News.  I have no written source.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/02/nys-board-of-elections-its-possible-voting-may-be-permitted-beyond-tuesday/

NYS Board Of Elections: It’s Possible Voting May Be Permitted Beyond Tuesday
If Turnout Is Less Than 25% Of Registered Voters, Second Day Could Happen
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »
Cut FEMA?  Aren't they supposed to run the re-ed centers and the detention camps?

I think the UN marked passenger box cars are parked outside Omaha or something ;)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 01:35:20 PM »
There was a short bit on TWC about some private company that was first on scene to one of the coastal towns and were the only people clearing the only access road.  They also cleared the way for an ambulance to assist a woman in labor.
FEMA shouldn't be cut. It should be disbanded.  All responsibilities should fall to state and local governments or private entities.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »
If Turnout Is Less Than 25% Of Registered Voters, Second Day Could Happen We Might Get a Better Result

Fixed!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »
Watching FNC this morning, and there was a LOT of discussion of elected officials and Feds driving around and making self-congratulatory statements in front of cameras, but not actually DOING anything to help anyone. Plus, Tweets and e-mail telling people how to access resources...people who don't have power for phones and computers. Suggestions as well that the death toll may skyrocket, based on large areas which have not yet been searched or cleared. Don't know if any of this will be widely reported or impact the election, but it should make the follow-on discussions that much more interesting.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 03:35:03 PM »
Watching FNC this morning, and there was a LOT of discussion of elected officials and Feds driving around and making self-congratulatory statements in front of cameras, but not actually DOING anything to help anyone. Plus, Tweets and e-mail telling people how to access resources...people who don't have power for phones and computers. Suggestions as well that the death toll may skyrocket, based on large areas which have not yet been searched or cleared. Don't know if any of this will be widely reported or impact the election, but it should make the follow-on discussions that much more interesting.

I got an email from Lautenberg on my corporate address.

I suppose that the very large corporation for which I contract, does have facilities in Joisey  =|

The email said something about "because you have corresponded with me in the past" - I replied and said no, I never have, am 2000 miles from NJ, and furthermore I don't like your anti-gun agenda  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 04:36:16 PM »
Here's an effect on the election: the Northeast is gaining new respect for the RKBA.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/klyn_bat_man_run_looters_VxfnY8FAH2MYZZ9GrKM6eJ

Oh, and does anyone know what a "double pump action gun" might be?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »
Here's an effect on the election: the Northeast is gaining new respect for the RKBA.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/klyn_bat_man_run_looters_VxfnY8FAH2MYZZ9GrKM6eJ

Oh, and does anyone know what a "double pump action gun" might be?

Remitington 1740?

http://www.lesjones.com/2008/06/16/double-barrel-pump-shotgun-moe-szyslak-style/