Author Topic: Cartridge vs Double Edge Shaving Costs  (Read 3476 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cartridge vs Double Edge Shaving Costs
« on: November 01, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »
A simple, but relatively accurate comparison. As the author notes, Double Edge startup costs can be significantly cheaper than his example.

http://www.electrogent.com/2012/10/cost-analysis-double-edge-vs-cartridge-razors/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Cartridge vs Double Edge Shaving Costs
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
It has never been an issue of cost for me, but quality of the shave.  I'd stick with it even if the cost structure was reversed.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »
It has never been an issue of cost for me, but quality of the shave.  I'd stick with it even if the cost structure was reversed.

Chris

True, quality is certainly a very large part of it. Also, startup costs can be quite higher than the author states if you include someone shifting from a can of Barbasol to a good shaving brush and soap. Though those costs probably level out and reverse at least as fast as razor blades, since a good brush lasts a long time and good shaving soap is pretty cheap.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
I shave 3 to 4 times a week, and change my cartridge (Mach 3) every two months or so, when the quality of the shave drops. I don't have issues with bad shave or razor burn.

I also don't really care about the total cost, either, but I do my best to get my blades on sale through Amazon or one of the other online sites.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »
I shave 3 to 4 times a week, and change my cartridge (Mach 3) every two months or so, when the quality of the shave drops. I don't have issues with bad shave or razor burn.

I also don't really care about the total cost, either, but I do my best to get my blades on sale through Amazon or one of the other online sites.
I do the same with Mach 3 at a month or 2 months also.  I get the disposable Mach 3 razors rather than the replacable cartridges.  I think they actually last longer than the cartridges I had at one time. 

I guess I need to check online.  I haven't tried to buy them that way.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »
Wow, I guess my face is a bit sensitive, because I can't get more than 3 comfortable shaves out of any cartridge.   ???

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »
Wow, I guess my face is a bit sensitive, because I can't get more than 3 comfortable shaves out of any cartridge.   ???

Yer wife is probably using it on her legs when ya ain't lookin!  :lol:
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 08:24:29 PM »
Yer wife is probably using it on her legs when ya ain't lookin!  :lol:

Haha!  I am happily single, my friend!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »
I guess I have an abnormally narrow upper lip or maybe my technique is not good...because any double edge razor is far too wide for me.  I'm like Irwin, an infrequent shaver and blade changer -  a five pack of cartridges lasts for 6 months.
My dad always used an electric shaver, while my mom shaved her legs with a double razor.  Not sure why exactly - but the memory of seeing those sitting on my mom's bathtub was enough kill any desire I ever had to use one.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 11:59:39 PM »
As long as I don't let the beard go more than a couple days, the blades last well.  If I let it grow, the blades seem to dull faster. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 08:17:40 AM »
This shaving - I remember it from my time in the military.

It was over-rated then.  It still is.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 08:19:55 AM »
I despise shaving. No doubt about that.

But I hate growing a beard even more.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »
I use double edge blades, Feather brand usually, and a badger hair brush and soap. I would never go back to the cartridge scam. Once in a while for a special treat I strop my antique Sheffield England straight razor and get a really nice close shave- gotta be slow and carefull though.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »
I just use an electric foil-type razor. Replace the blades once/year or so. I've tried a double-edged safety razor but for me it didn't really give a better shave, and took longer (I know I'd get faster with more experience). My facial hair grows slowly enough I only need to shave every cuppatwotree days. If it was faster-growing or thicker, could be the blade would be the better option for me.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »
I'm with Mike.  I shave 3-4 times a week and my Mach 3 cartridges usually last for a couple months.  When they get uncomfortable I replace them.  I've had the handle long enough that the cartridge release button has come off and now I have to just yank them off to remove them.  So last night I had a post all typed up about why I'll wait until I'm out of Mach 3 cartridges until I try a DE safety razor, but I ended up making an impulse buy on Amazon instead. 

We'll see if I end up getting whole-hog into it, but I ordered what is said to be a decent handle (Merkur 1904 classic), a few blades, and an alum block.  I'm skeptical about the "quality of shave" argument but I'm going to try to give it a fair shake - which is why I didn't just buy the $6 handle.

I've thought about trying to learn to use a straight-edge razor for a long time, but decided that I don't want to die.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
Actually you don't need an expensive razor to get a good DE shave. More important is finding a good razor / blade combo. I would recommend getting one of the razor blade sample packs and trying out the various blades before making a decision on whether to stick with DE shaving or not. It takes a little time, but it actually does make a difference.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »
Is it still worthwhile to switch if one isn't actually shaving, jjust tidying up around the edges of a beard?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:19 PM »
Is it still worthwhile to switch if one isn't actually shaving, jjust tidying up around the edges of a beard?

Probably not, but I'm probably not the one to ask. The last time I had a beard was in my 20's. I couldn't decide what I hated more - letting the beard grow wild or taking the time to trim it, so I gave up and went back to shaving. :)

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
Actually you don't need an expensive razor to get a good DE shave. More important is finding a good razor / blade combo. I would recommend getting one of the razor blade sample packs and trying out the various blades before making a decision on whether to stick with DE shaving or not. It takes a little time, but it actually does make a difference.
The handle I picked up was mid-range in cost (under $30).  A criticism I heard about the cheaper handles was that they would not position the blade evenly.  I'll try to pick up a sample pack if the blades I bought don't do well.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Cartridge vs Double Edge Shaving Costs
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 12:42:45 PM »
Westcoastshaving.com best place for sample packs, imho.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 08:18:03 AM »
Ordered one of these from Woot deals yesterday

It's a Remington. 1 handle, 15 cartridges, 12 bucks. Cheap enough that if I don't like it, I can throw the whole thing out.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »
Shaving? What is this shaving you speak of?
Look, tiny text!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 10:53:32 AM »
Ordered one of these from Woot deals yesterday

It's a Remington. 1 handle, 15 cartridges, 12 bucks. Cheap enough that if I don't like it, I can throw the whole thing out.

Looks like a vegetable peeler or a cheese grater!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
I tried the razor last night.  Some thoughts:
1. I'm sure I'll get better at it, but it takes a whole lot longer to shave with a safety razor.
2. The shave was much closer (in some areas, anyway) than the Mach 3.
3. I had more irritation in some ares than the Mach 3.
4. The alum block cleaned up small nicks quite well

I'll keep it up for at least some of my shaving, but if I'm pressed for time I'm grabbing my old razor.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »
It gets faster as your get more used to it and don't have to think about it so much. Same with the irritation, it get's better as you do and once you find a blade combo that suites you well. Also doing multiple passes rather then trying to whack it all off at once helps a lot.

And when I still need to shave really quickly I grab the Schick Hydro. It gives a decent shave and can do so quickly.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.