Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT -- Tonight's walking dead. Don't enter if you don't want to know.  (Read 21907 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
I don't think she's dead.

The director / screenplay writer deliberately chose to not show us Carl shooting his mom.  Maybe he couldn't bring himself to do it, and sent a round into the wall instead.

How difficult is it for a woman to survive a C-section birth without modern medicine?  Then add to that, being left cut open and passed out?

Remember, we still have Hershel alive and he's a veterinarian.  He can still stitch her up.  He's probably done several horse C-sections.

Granted it's extremely unlikely... but she is part of the main cast, listed in the season's opening credits.

My wife had a C-section for Thing 2.  Even in a hospital setting, you're off your feet for a day or so (and then not very mobile for a day or two after that).  That's opening a pretty big hole through muscles required to stand upright.  Assuming she survived, I don't see her getting up on her own or without the opening being stitched up.  Then there's blood loss, infection, and shock.  It could happen, but I doubt it.

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
Someone mentioned this to me in a conversation. Unlikely, but the fact is, we didn't see her die. Either the writers thought it was too gruesome for the audience after her ordeal, or it's a subtle cliffhanger. I'm not sure which.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"ither the writers thought it was too gruesome..."

While showing Maggie gutting her like a fish wasn't too grusome...  :O

A primitive surgical C section is survivable. There's also historical accounts of much earlier C sections in China, with one woman reportedly having, and surviving, six.

As with any other surgical procedure, and as Chris notes, infection and blood loss are the biggest dangers.

C sections have been performed as part of "modern" medicine since the mid 1800s.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

erictank

• friends
I don't think she's dead.

The director / screenplay writer deliberately chose to not show us Carl shooting his mom.  Maybe he couldn't bring himself to do it, and sent a round into the wall instead.

How difficult is it for a woman to survive a C-section birth without modern medicine?  Then add to that, being left cut open and passed out?

Remember, we still have Hershel alive and he's a veterinarian.  He can still stitch her up.  He's probably done several horse C-sections.

Granted it's extremely unlikely... but she is part of the main cast, listed in the season's opening credits.

She was hemorrhaging (placenta abruptio?) and undilated, with a previous c-section (and therefore requiring another for this baby). In her last scenes, she was PALE from blood loss; in the interview with her after the airing, she (Sarah Callies) said the blood was everywhere, and she ended up stuck to the floor. Without Herschel right there doing what he could, she had no chance; even with him, it would have been touch-and-go. The baby would have been dead without the c-section; she would have died either way, under the circumstances.

If she comes back, it's as a walker, and I truly think that Carl shot her to prevent her from reanimating.

brimic

• friends
Also so sad about T-dog, I liked him. Is it wrong I thought "but you can only have one Token Black at a time, one of them had to go"? 

That's kind of what I was thinking, but didn't want to say it....

Carl is becoming a hard little man. He and Darryl seem to be the only ones unencumbered with moral abiguities that could negatively affect their survival chances.
I still see Darryl as being the last person alive.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Anything's possible, but I doubt it.  I think Rick and Carl are the only non-negotiable charcters in this series.  Everyone else might as well be wearing a red shirt.

While the TV show does not adhere strictly to the comic, the guy who writes the comic has said that Rick and Carl are the center of the story, and they're the only ones he will not kill.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
glenn is digging 3 graves in next weeks episode...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

wuluf

• friend
Carl's a tough li'l psychopath-in-training......

CNYCacher

• friend
If she comes back, it's as a walker

Not with a severed abdominal wall; if she comes back it's as a flopper.

Does lactation continue for the undead?  They should have planned ahead a little better before popping her in the head.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
Does lactation continue for the undead?  They should have planned ahead a little better before popping her in the head.

Sour Cream or Cheese?  >:D

Chris

brimic

• friends
Does lactation continue for the undead?
like I've said before, I'm sure its a fetish for someone somewhere...

Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Anything's possible, but I doubt it.  I think Rick and Carl are the only non-negotiable charcters in this series.  Everyone else might as well be wearing a red shirt.

Pretty much this.  Sorry to see T-dog buy it, though.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Yeah I like T-dog. But hey, least they had him go out with some purpose and not cowering in a corner.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
part of Ricks guilt is not seeing the convict die, the convict that he fed to the walkers didn't get eaten.
Darryl would have made sure he was dead....or maxwells silver hammer!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Someone mentioned this to me in a conversation. Unlikely, but the fact is, we didn't see her die. Either the writers thought it was too gruesome for the audience after her ordeal, or it's a subtle cliffhanger. I'm not sure which.

Just read an interview with her on AMC's website.  She's dead and gone from the series.  Let the celebration begin!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

T.O.M.

• friend
I enjoyed Season 1 very much, but frankly stopped watching Season 2, a.k.a. "Life on the Farm," because I felt it was becoming too soap opera-ish for my tastes.  I forgot to cancel the recording on my DVR, and watched this season.  I'm a fan again.  Big time.

Gotta say that I love that they still have Rick carrying his Python...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
I enjoyed Season 1 very much, but frankly stopped watching Season 2, a.k.a. "Life on the Farm," because I felt it was becoming too soap opera-ish for my tastes.  I forgot to cancel the recording on my DVR, and watched this season.  I'm a fan again.  Big time.

Gotta say that I love that they still have Rick carrying his Python...

I think the soap operay part showed complacency. 
Complacency led to them not fortifying the farm. 

As an aside, they had manpower and animals with which they could have taken trees from the forest and created an old-timey fort.

12' fortified walls at least around the farmhouse at center, with watch towers.   They would have at least had a better chance of less loss of life when the walker herd moved through.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends

As an aside, they had manpower and animals with which they could have taken trees from the forest and created an old-timey fort.

12' fortified walls at least around the farmhouse at center, with watch towers.   They would have at least had a better chance of less loss of life when the walker herd moved through.

That's our jamis.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.  Er... re-kill.  Whatever.

:lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Long wondered that myself.

A palisade is fairly quick and easy to put up, relatively speaking and require only minimal tools. Put bracing on the back and it would hold up well. Get that up first for basic protection.

Longer term project is an inner palisade 3 or so feet in from the outer wall with added cross bracing and fill with compacted dirt or gravel. Still requires minimal tools, just takes longer and more effort. For a long time, this basic configuration was the next best thing to a stone wall, and you'll have a hard time getting through it with a battering ram. A strong gate and the zombie herd isn't even putting a dent in it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• friend
This is why I fully intend to promote myself to Tribal Warlord after the balloon goes up.  Ill be strict, but fair.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends

That looks like a good start.
From watching my son play Minecraft, I would dig a 6' deep trench all the way around it with a drawbridge that spans the pit- the zombies are attracted to human activity, fall in pit and cannot get out :rofl:  
You would just have to go around occasionally and club them like baby seals then dump some lime on them.

Killing and living around zombies can be as much or as little work as you want to make it, but it doesn't need to be dangerous.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:25:03 PM by brimic »

Barack Obama

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I like that idea, plus if you have a moat full of zombies then if you give someone the death penalty you simply drop them in.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• friend
Nyet.  Keeping large numbers of active walkers handy only leads to trouble.
JD

T.O.M.

• friend
Nyet.  Keeping large numbers of active walkers handy only leads to trouble.

Apparently not if you take their arms and jaws...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• friend
Apparently not if you take their arms and jaws...

True, but our primary protaganist hasn't learned that lesson yet.  I'm only taking my ideas and applying them to Rick's experiences in the series.

Large number of walkers in barn? Problem.
Known large wandering herds of zombies? Problem.
Large kenneled group in prison yard? Problem.
Pattern?  Nope, not at all!
 :laugh:

Speaking of the prison, an I the only rocket scientist that thinks luring the damn things out of the dark corners of the prison with noise and light might work better than room clearing?
Maybe devise some way of herding them like cattle are herded for loading onto a truck, then use the isolation as a way to dispatch them?
Just sayin.
JD