Author Topic: Patraeus resigns  (Read 8668 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Patraeus resigns
« on: November 09, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
Re: Patraeus resigns
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »
I think I saw this in Godfather I...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
I stated to my friend that I was hoping he was just keeping his mouth shut in hopes that Romney would get in and then he could spill the beans without destroying his career. I'm truly praying that with that option gone his resignation is just a prelude to exposing the entire Benghazi affair to the public.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:47:05 PM »
You think Petraeus wasn't made an offer he couldn't refuse?  And that suggests he'll remain silent.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »
Maybe he just doesn't want to work for that man another 4 years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »
My Christian wife with a civil tongue has been saying a lot of bad words since the election, she just walked through the room shouting B,,, S,,, when she heard it the announcement on the radio. She doesn't believe for a minute that it doesn't have something to do with the Benghazi mess. She's saying really bad words about anybody associated with the Obama admin.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »
That brings tears to my eyes
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
Maybe he just doesn't want to work for that man another 4 years.

So rather than just resigning he resigns in disgrace.  Uh-huh, I get it.

He took the better of the two bad courses is my guess.  The other was to sit in a bathtub and open his veins...
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 12:17:24 AM »
So rather than just resigning he resigns in disgrace.  Uh-huh, I get it.

He took the better of the two bad courses is my guess.  The other was to sit in a bathtub and open his veins...

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a previously undiagnosed heart condition suddenly becoming a problem [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 12:23:44 AM »
Petraeus didn't just resign, he resigned with a letter that, to this observer, reads as if someone were standing at his shoulder.  There is a time for saying less rather than more, and this was one of those times.  This was an Oprah moment, not a Petraeus moment, and I think we can surmise who directed this scene.

Another thing: why was the FBI investigating Petraeus?  Because he might have been having an offer?  Is this normal procedure?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:42:34 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 12:27:14 AM »
Is it possible that Petraeus was in some way responsible for the Benghazi failure, and this is the best out he could get?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 07:22:42 AM »
Possible sure, but I doubt it.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 07:26:03 AM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/09/15054517-cia-director-david-petraeus-resigns-cites-extramarital-affair?lite

Can you say BlackMail?

Yeah...

My SWAG on how it went down:

Someone close to Obama, maybe Valerie Jerett?:  You need to keep this [Benghazi screwup] secret.

Petraeus: To hell with that!

SCTOMVJ: If you don't we'll leak your affair.

Petraeus: *expletive deleted* YOU! I'll do it my own self, then spill the beans!

SCTOMVJ: *soils self*

Well, a guy can dream, can't he?  =|

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:58:52 AM »
Or the affair is simply an excuse to get him out of the seat for a reason other than Benghazi.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
I have a very good friend who has a number of associates who have worked closely with Gen. Petraeus in the past.  I will 2nd what Regolith said.  Not a necessarily a SWAG, actually maybe a fact.

Gen Petraeus is a human and capable of bad judgment as are we all.  However, that does not mean he is defined in toto by his bad judgment with respect to an affair.  You can bet your bottom dollar that Jarrett has the goods regarding skeletons in the closet on every Obama appointee.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lysander6

• Ragnaroks!
  • Gun Control is Mind Control.
    • ZeroGov
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »
I worked for Petraeus and he is the smartest man I ever knew in uniform.  He also had a deep sense of honor and always tried to stay the straight and narrow.  I think the fact that he betrayed his wife literally ate at his soul.  He is that kind of man. 

Occam's Razor:  Once found out via the FBI, he felt a personal obligation to lay down his sword because he could no longer lead as a compromised man at the agency.  Eisenhower did it and felt no remorse because that is who he was but he did not have the high degree of personal honor I always observed in GEN P.

Insufficient information allows no further speculation.  Who knows? 
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »
A respected intelligence officer (military) has speculated that the Obama folks have known about this affair for some time and just held it in their pocket to use for just such an opportunity. Obviously, the timing is more than just a little coincidental.

I buy that assessment, but (being a guy who has never met a conspiracy theory I didn't like), I propose that the general was set up. Suppose this biographer was a plant from the outset? She didn't write the book -- she had a co-writer, whose name is on the cover. Usually, when a VIP "writes" a bio he/she is listed as the author, and the ghost writer may or may not even be acknowledged. If this woman were a real writer, why did she need a co-author?

My guess is that she was a plant ... in just the way the Russians perennially try to get sexy females to sleep with our diplomatic (and intelligence) people both over there and at home. Being a classic military straight arrow, Petraeus fell for it hook, line, and sinker. So now he's sunk.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »
I'm truly praying that with that option gone his resignation is just a prelude to exposing the entire Benghazi affair to the public.

What would he be waiting for? Why not do that right away?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »
Or the affair is simply an excuse to get him out of the seat for a reason other than Benghazi.

I'd go with this, plus they probably have something worse on him, or have threatened worse (mysteriously undiagnosed long-standing heart or brain conditions), if he opens his mouth. I suspect he rather cheesed off Obama and his puppet master Jarrett when he didn't hurl himself under the bus on cue (Obama: It's the CIA's fault!  Petraeus: Like hell it is!)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »

My guess is that she was a plant ... in just the way the Russians perennially try to get sexy females to sleep with our diplomatic (and intelligence) people both over there and at home. Being a classic military straight arrow, Petraeus fell for it hook, line, and sinker. So now he's sunk.

This....heard an interview clip on the radio just now....she admitted manipulating the situation so she could get info from him. IMHO, that's a confession of espionage and should be treated as such....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
I wonder if simply resigning will really keep him from having to testify. Story

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
These things are not turned into circuses unless "someone" wants a public circus.   Resignation is one thing, resignation with humiliation is quite another.  This was a purge.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »
This....heard an interview clip on the radio just now....she admitted manipulating the situation so she could get info from him. IMHO, that's a confession of espionage and should be treated as such....

Paula Broadwell was his biographer. And the FBI was investigating the situation because someone made allegations that she had access to his email. So, her job was getting information from him. But his responsibility was not giving her any classified information.

You could argue who he slept with was his own business, unless his partner was an espionage agent or whatnot. This would be borderline espionage, at the moment. More details will becoming out.

Mrs Broadwell is a US Army officer, a Major in the Reserves, and a journalist.

I'm not entirely sure, but I highly suspect she could face trial as a military officer for illegally accessing classified material in furtherance of her journalist career. That has occurred before. I'm aware of an officer that was hoarding TS documents on private computer. He had legitimate access to those files, but not for private archive. Under interrogation he admitted he was planning on writing a book. His defense was swearing that he did not intend on revealing anything classified. He was convicted of mishandling classified documents.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »
My guess is that she was a plant ... in just the way the Russians perennially try to get sexy females to sleep with our diplomatic (and intelligence) people both over there and at home. Being a classic military straight arrow, Petraeus fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

Was she naked and articulate ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin