Author Topic: Patraeus resigns  (Read 8667 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Patraeus resigns
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
Wasn't Patraeus singing the same tune about a video being the cause of the embassy attack? 

What a way to end a career, dishonorable *expletive deleted*ck.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 10:30:23 PM »
Yeah, Petraeus came out with the film excuse.  Not long after that CIA came out with an uncharacteristically blunt statement saying reports the CIA denied help was false.  That one statement caused me to whip around because I sensed trouble amongst the spooks.  I suspect Obama et al had the lowdown on Petraeus' activities for a good while and kept it on the back burner just in case they needed to muscle him.  I suspect Petraeus began to push back after is became clear CIA would be blamed for an intelligence failure.  Obama being the thug he is confronted Petraeus telling him he will be under the bus.  Petraeus countered by resigning.

I also suspect Petraeus has top flight legal help.  He's not the kind of guy to give in to thuggery unless someone has a gun to his loved one's head.  In any case he would well become the front man for opposition to Obama.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 11:38:57 PM »
One word comes to mind: PURGE.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2012, 11:42:03 PM »
One word comes to mind: PURGE.

Political bulimia? Binge and purge...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »
It is time to re- read I, Claudius.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2012, 03:17:38 PM »

So, about that whole 9/11 fiasco . . .

The president . . . what was he doing again?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »
Watching it live and direct as it unfolded.   :mad: :mad: :mad:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »
Fwiw: the thousands of emails were probably text/chat messages. Gmail counts them as emails.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »
I forget if it was Wired or Gizmodo that reported today that Patraeus and Broadwell were actually writing emails to each other and putting them in the drafts folder of a shared account. Rather than send emails back and forth, each would login to the account at different times and read and respond to each other in strictly in the drafts folder.

I suppose it would eliminate the chance for interception of sent mail, but the drafts folder has to be sitting on a server somewhere that .gov could likely access one way or another.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
I forget if it was Wired or Gizmodo that reported today that Patraeus and Broadwell were actually writing emails to each other and putting them in the drafts folder of a shared account. Rather than send emails back and forth, each would login to the account at different times and read and respond to each other in strictly in the drafts folder.

I suppose it would eliminate the chance for interception of sent mail, but the drafts folder has to be sitting on a server somewhere that .gov could likely access one way or another.

I saw that technique in the movie "Traitor".

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »

Which, in fact, the Alphabet Boys did.

This just gets dumber and dumber. Article on Military.com http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/11/13/petraeus-affair-could-end-broadwells-army-career.html?ESRC=army.nl

Broadwell supposedly has a Top Secret security clearance. Now, I admit it has been awhile since I was in, and I only had Secret, not Top Secret, but I don't think the rules have changed that much: regardless of your level of clearance, it doesn't give you carte blanche access to everything at that level of security. ALL classified information is (or so I believed) on a "need to know" basis. If you don't need it -- you don't read it, and I don't care a fig what your clearance is.

So check this out:

During an appearance in July at the Aspen Security Forum in Colorado, Broadwell said she had a Top Secret clearance and routinely had access to high-level briefings with Petraeus and other Army and intelligence officials while in Afghanistan.

"I was entrusted with this opportunity to sit in on high level meetings with General Petraeus,” she said. “Sitting in on SCIF [sensitive compartmented information facility] meetings in the morning, listen to classified chatter of terrorist talk and so forth.”

Mind you, she wasn't even there as a military officer -- she was there as a civilian, researching a book. I don't care how many stars Petraeus had, if he gave this broad access to classified briefings, he was acting WAY beyond any authority he had.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:20:28 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2012, 09:48:27 PM »

Broadwell supposedly has a Top Secret security clearance. Now, I admit it has been awhile since I was in, and I only had Secret, not Top Secret, but I don't think the rules have changed that much: regardless of your level of clearance, it doesn't give you carte blanche access to everything at that level of security. ALL classified information is (or so I believed) on a "need to know" basis. If you don't need it -- you don't read it, and I don't care a fig what your cleasrance is.\

Bingo!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2012, 10:22:18 PM »
Yeah, Petraeus came out with the film excuse.  Not long after that CIA came out with an uncharacteristically blunt statement saying reports the CIA denied help was false.  That one statement caused me to whip around because I sensed trouble amongst the spooks.  I suspect Obama et al had the lowdown on Petraeus' activities for a good while and kept it on the back burner just in case they needed to muscle him.  I suspect Petraeus began to push back after is became clear CIA would be blamed for an intelligence failure.  Obama being the thug he is confronted Petraeus telling him he will be under the bus.  Petraeus countered by resigning.

I also suspect Petraeus has top flight legal help.  He's not the kind of guy to give in to thuggery unless someone has a gun to his loved one's head.  In any case he would well become the front man for opposition to Obama.

To the detriment of the Liberty movement in 2016.

1. Make the Benghazi issue another birther/contrail/9-11-was-an-inside-job issue.
2. Carefully nurse it for 3 more years, have it take irrelevant limelight in 2015.
3. Use this as the rabblerabblerabble talking point to drown out the next up-and-coming libertarian threat to both parties.  Who needs balanced budgets, fed reserve audits, austrian economics, or reduced imperial interventionism when we can have a new left wing anti-Bush to blame for 4 or 8 years instead?  "Our mideast foreign policy?  That's Obama's fault!1!1!eleventyone!"

The last thing we need is a GOP warbird driving discourse for the next 3+ years.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2012, 10:36:45 PM »
Whatever happened to The Stern Roman?  Geez Louise.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 11:32:34 AM »
Obama auroral musings:  Discredit the military...might blunt future antidote of a military protectorate...thinking ahead...
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.