Author Topic: World War Z trailer  (Read 5547 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: World War Z trailer
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
Yes I have.  I'm referring to fundamentally different weapon systems, ammunition, and tactics than used in the book.   Basically, HE sucks, shotguns rule, and the more sufficiently aimed skull penetrating projectiles you can throw down range in a given amount of time the better. 

Oh, not disputing that - I agree completely! That was why I wondered about the Mk. 19's suitability, as I've always seen grenades primarily as explosives rather than projectile throwers. I'm a victim of Hollywood myth there, I suppose - and my .mil service provided no opportunity to correct that (Navy nukes don't get to play with cool toys like grenades, darnit).

I was literally just wondering if you'd read a damn good book. One likely to be FAR better than the movie allegedly based on it will be.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »
Would not explosives do serious damage to and slow down zeds?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »
Would not explosives do serious damage to and slow down zeds?

If there is sufficient, yes, but to fully disrupt a body requires a direct hit with a few oz of explosives.  At requires rapid aimed fire, and is less mass efficient than simply ensuring enough hits to the brain.

I'm surprised by my results as well...but hey, zeds are different than people.

Same reason "tactics" and "stealth" mean nothing...it's purely a matter of not getting cornered.  You fpdont have to worry about return fire, armor, etc. either.

For very large groups, a continuous retreat while emplacing claymores seems pretty effective as well.

Space is your friend...so is engaging at range.  So probably, mounted/mechanized force in like west Texas is ideal.

Actually, additional point, armor (but only that which has weapons that are reloaded from inside!) seems ideal.  Take a bunch of Bradleys, load the personnel compartment up with massive amount of extra ammo and go to town. :)

Hmm... Or a bunch of 5-ton gun truck with a few mk19's and miniguns, and a few TONS of ammo.

Have the driver stay ahead of the crowd and just pan back and forth.
Hell, it would actually be a use case where the firing ports would actually be useful!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »
Armored vehicles or tanks with wood chippers mounted to the front might do the trick. I imagine that'd get the brain.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 09:20:59 PM »
Armored vehicles or tanks with wood chippers mounted to the front might do the trick. I imagine that'd get the brain.

Bring back that WWII classic....Flail tank :)

Then all you need is to tow a trailer full of gas, (since zeds can't decouple it or break it) and just drive.

Be sure to bring spare wiper blades as well, because s&$t just got real....messy.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »

Larry corriea made good use of a snow machine in MHL.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »
Armored combine and narrow streets
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »
Larry corriea made good use of a snow machine in MHL.

MHA, not MHL...not many snow blowers in Vegas :)

Hmm....snow blower on the front of a Bradley full of extra ammo and towing a huge fuel tank.   Just drive, shoot, crush, grind, splatter your way to victory.  

Oh, and have more than one.  If you run out of gas or it breaks, have your friends co-ax the crap out of your own vehicle to clear them off, then back up ass to ass, drop ramp and evac under continuous cover of the both turrets.  

The problem with zed movies is they either fight like fighting people, attempt to contain instead of just pulverizing everything, and don't freakin take advantage of the technology we've had for ever.

I mean, for christ's sake, the freakin A-TEAM would have a zed outbreak whipped in an episode

Little little kid contact s the team (even though somehow decker can't find them because he's blind, retarded, or both) to tell them zombies are attacking his town

Team blows into town, mini-14's the crap out of some zeds and then realizes that won't solve the problem.

Team finds a junkyard, cue music, montage involving BA lighting a cutting torch, and 3 minutes later some bastard mutant horror child of an El Camino and a snow blower, covered with corrugated steel rolls out of a barn and lays waste to all the zeds, with Murdoch shooting the stragglers with an ersatz flame thrower made out of a an air compressor and some kids toys out of a pope glass turret made out of  commercial washing machine doors.

Town is destroyed, there's a foot of zed mush in the gutters, Hannibal lights a cigar, says I love it when a plan comes together, the team rolls out, about a thousand survivors call state farm to see if they hve 80's TV show coverage, and END SCENE, CREDITS ROLL.
(decker shows up a day later, pounds hood of car, gets laughed at, and goes on his retarded way)

...maybe half an episode?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »
Oops yea MHA. Doh!
JD

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 12:59:40 AM »
Oh grunt...

Having never heard of the book or movie, I opened the thread expecting an actual vehicle, perhaps the tactical wheelbarrow writ large, an ultimate bugout bag.

*sigh*
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
MHA, not MHL...not many snow blowers in Vegas :)

Hmm....snow blower on the front of a Bradley full of extra ammo and towing a huge fuel tank.   Just drive, shoot, crush, grind, splatter your way to victory.  

Oh, and have more than one.  If you run out of gas or it breaks, have your friends co-ax the crap out of your own vehicle to clear them off, then back up ass to ass, drop ramp and evac under continuous cover of the both turrets.  

The problem with zed movies is they either fight like fighting people, attempt to contain instead of just pulverizing everything, and don't freakin take advantage of the technology we've had for ever.
I

I think its the limitations of thinking. How long did armies square off face to face?  Generals refused to shift thinking even when the machine gun and tank were invented.  Tweet! Tweet! 
People are too attached to loved ones, and I see governments wanting to contain, study, and even weaponize. 
JD

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »
Can you imagine a zombie movie or TV show made with APS members as the technical advisors and the cast?  That sucker would about 12 minutes long including credits.  Lots of cool weapons and piles of dead zombies.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.