Author Topic: Paying for Obamacare - I Like This Idea  (Read 4340 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Paying for Obamacare - I Like This Idea
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
I like this guy's idea for paying the Obamacare costs for his employees. A surcharge on all customer receipts. What would be ideal, is if it was actually printed out as a charged item on every ticket. For all those people that insist Obamacare is a "right", they get to actually participate in paying for it. Similar to my theory that if everyone had to write a check to the IRS every April, there would a lot less enthusiasm for raising taxes.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/15/florida-restaurateur-to-impose-surcharge-for-obamacare/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Paying for Obamacare - I Like This Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »
I like this guy's idea for paying the Obamacare costs for his employees. A surcharge on all customer receipts. What would be ideal, is if it was actually printed out as a charged item on every ticket. For all those people that insist Obamacare is a "right", they get to actually participate in paying for it. Similar to my theory that if everyone had to write a check to the IRS every April, there would a lot less enthusiasm for raising taxes.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/15/florida-restaurateur-to-impose-surcharge-for-obamacare/

IRS will come after him for doing that. Just like the gas stations that tried to create a separate line to show how much taxes were being paid on each fill-up.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:08:57 AM »
IRS will come after him for doing that. Just like the gas stations that tried to create a separate line to show how much taxes were being paid on each fill-up.

On what grounds?  Is he violating tax laws?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »

My question as well.

Of course, if they come up with something, he could always just increment all his prices by some specific value like $0.2 per item, and then in the "comments" section of the receipt put in bold "his receipt reflects a price increase of $0.20 per item due to increased employee health care costs" nothing illegal there.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 10:12:39 AM »
I absolutely love the idea of businesses itemizing on receipts all the hidden costs of big government.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »

Given the complexity of our tax laws (and the fact the IRS doesn't even know what is the "correct" way to do taxes), I'm pretty sure they can find (or argue) that he is.

I don't know how they will do it, I will just be very surprised if he is allowed to do this.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
Many gas stations in my state post the federal and state gasoline taxes right on the pump. You get reminded of the 49 cents or so you are paying on each gallon every time you fill up.
We need a lot more of this.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
IIRC, several decades ago, fed.gov put an additional tax surcharge on airline tickets, and included a provision explicitly prohibiting the airlines from disclosing this new tax. The airlines refused to participate in this secrecy, and basically said "If you every TRY to prosecute, we WILL demand a jury trial and we WILL include your actions in our advertising." 

I don't remember anyone being prosecuted for spilling the beans . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
Under the current law, employers with more than 50 full-time (or equivalent) workers will be charged a penalty for the number of employees exceeding 30 full-time staffers who are not covered. With an average of 35 full-time employees per location, Metz said the $2,000 penalty would total roughly $70,000 per restaurant.

Am I misunderstanding this or is his math way off? ???

(35-30) * 2000 = 10,000 per restaurant
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »
Am I misunderstanding this or is his math way off? ???

(35-30) * 2000 = 10,000 per restaurant

not his math
yours
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »
Oh I get it - they all count as one employer don't they? So the 30 'freebies' are for all the restaurants combined.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »
The penalty kicks in for ALL Full-time Equivalent once you go over 30.  So he has 35 FTE each restaurant.  Each restaurant then gets hit with the $2000 per head penalty.   

35*$2,000= $70,000

His math is correct.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 10:28:40 PM »
The penalty kicks in for ALL Full-time Equivalent once you go over 30.  So he has 35 FTE each restaurant.  Each restaurant then gets hit with the $2000 per head penalty.   
35*$2,000= $70,000
His math is correct.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about all of the restaurants combined being considered one employer, but now it makes sense. Anyway...

he also will slash most of the staff's time to fewer than 30 hours per week. That change will be announced to employees next month, he said.
The cat's probably out of the bag on that one!  :facepalm:

The ones that are working more than 28 hours, they’re going to act as if I’m cutting their hours
Isn't he planning on exactly doing that?

We really should look for a better or different way to pay for [ObamaCare]. I think what we’re going to ultimately see here is a European-type system where we have a value added tax or a national sales tax.”

Would a VAT be a better way to pay for it? I wouldn't think so...

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 10:33:16 PM »
Oh I get it - they all count as one employer don't they? So the 30 'freebies' are for all the restaurants combined.

It's so... Atlas Shrugged.  Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog Rule.  Equalization of Opportunity. Directive 10-289.

I'm wondering when it will be illegal to fire people because you can't afford them. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »
I'm wondering when it will be illegal to fire people because you can't afford them. ;/

Ask France. Or Italy. Or Greece.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 10:21:56 AM »
Given the complexity of our tax laws (and the fact the IRS doesn't even know what is the "correct" way to do taxes), I'm pretty sure they can find (or argue) that he is.

I don't know how they will do it, I will just be very surprised if he is allowed to do this.

This.

Just knowing what is an allowable business expense and what is not is damn near impossible.  I doubt we'd survive an audit and we're super small potatoes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lysander6

• Ragnaroks!
  • Gun Control is Mind Control.
    • ZeroGov
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »
We live in AZ and I have a friend who is a plumber and he says that .57-.62 cents of every dollar he takes in is payable to one level of taxing entity or another and he is not even reimbursed for being a collection service for the usual suspects.

If we added up every tax in America from the Feds to your local 'burg, it would be near 60%.  Especially when the US has one of world's highest corporate tax rates, the US, is sensibly and necessarily passed on to consumers in higher prices.

Even Russia has a flat income tax rate of 13%, Russia!

At least the French have the courtesy to be up=front about their theft while the US hides it manifest and legion taxing entities in cozy and cuddly little bromides about "the children" or "national security".

French tax rates:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_France

We are all Federal employees now.

All tax rates:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_rates
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:37:30 PM by lysander6 »
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)