Author Topic: Goodbye Twinkie, Killed by Snoball of Labor Demands  (Read 13885 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Goodbye Twinkie, Killed by Snoball of Labor Demands
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:04:29 AM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hostess-close-cites-nationwide-worker-123953115.html

Hostess files for bankruptcy and will shut down all operating plants. Upshot: More than one zombie apocalypse can make those G-D Twinkies hard to find.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Goodbye Twinkie, Killed by Snoball of Labor Demands
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »
Hostess, the maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread, plans to go out of business, lay off its 18,500 workers and sell its snack cake and bread brands.

Our economy would be ROARING right now if GM and Dodge had done the same thing rather than sucking at the teat of government money.

And the labor problems our nation faces would have been dealt a massive slap across the face.

Good for Hostess.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop... Hostess is "too big to fail" or has some sort of responsibility to stay open, or some other Obamish hogwash.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
Wonder what the union members think of their union now.

Michelle Obama is happy - now that people won't have Twinkies or Ding-Dongs to much on, they'll find out how tasty broccoli, asparagus, and brussles sprouts really are.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »

Michelle Obama is happy - now that people won't have Twinkies or Ding-Dongs to much on, they'll find out how tasty broccoli, asparagus, and brussles sprouts really are.

Nah. We'll just import Chinese-baked Twinkies with a cheaper new metallic stabilizer in the filling...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »

Fail.  People on food stamps won;t buy broccoli, asparagus and brussel sprouts.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:41:26 AM »
Endtimes.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
The real reason that twinkies were so hard to find in zombieland!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
The real reason that twinkies were so hard to find in zombieland!

We already live in Zombieland.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »

I cant stand it when people wont pay attention to the program. Its schools and restaurents that cant be allowed to have junk food but its a-ok for people on welfare to buy cartloads of junk food b/c they dont have time during their busy schedule of not working and sitting on their asses. Make sure you always have a current copy of the Leftist Agenda so youre always caught up.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
Peeps are just as shelf stable but much more visible than Twinkies.  Never fear, you will not run out of targets.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:01 AM »
Dammit. I was just getting into "10 for $10" Hostess pies. I'll have to grab what Hostess stock is left at the grocery store and add it to my apocalypse supplies. The shelf life should be longer than my life expectancy.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
The brand name has value. Someone will buy it and continue production, but I doubt it will be in a union work environment.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
The brand name has value. Someone will buy it and continue production, but I doubt it will be in a union work environment.

I suspect this is why Ruger has two plants... one in their sissified union-friendly New England location, and one out here in AZ in a right to work state.

http://wepartypatriots.com/wp/2011/05/27/sturm-ruger-tries-to-gun-down-unions-supports-right-to-work-veto-override-in-new-hampshire/

The blog post is a year old, but it demonstrates that given a choice, employers will favor right-to-work. 

I expect Hostess, when purchased and reopened by someone else, will relocate somewhere with less Union interest.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
Don't worry they will reorganize and start up again as a nonunion shop.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »
I doubt they will reorganize.  Hostess has filed for chapter 7 if I am not mistaken.  The CEO specifically stated that they were done in the story I read this morning.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »
Poor Hostess, lost all their dough. I guess the workers will knead new jobs.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
Random thoughts o' the mornin'...

What happens to the Twinkie defense?????

America's been on a sugar-high for at least half a century.  There's going to be crazy **** going down if those Twinkies are cut off.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
I had half a mind to go by Sam's, stock up, and set them aside for listing on eBay.   >:D

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
And, here comes the mentally handicapped November Majority:

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/11/petition-wants-obama-to-save-twinkies-149789.html

Yep.  Nationalize the "twinkie industry."  Too big to fail.
--Lysander Spooner

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 02:53:38 PM »

You are all aware, of course, that "We The People" is a site run by the White House.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
And, here comes the mentally handicapped November Majority:

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/11/petition-wants-obama-to-save-twinkies-149789.html

Yep.  Nationalize the "twinkie industry."  Too big to fail.

Watch it be the one recent petition they actually act on...union jobs are in danger, gotta save them!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 03:19:53 PM »
I had half a mind to go by Sam's, stock up, and set them aside for listing on eBay.   >:D

You're probably too late. I got the 2nd to last box (fer eatin', not fer sellin') at the grocery store late this morning when I was picking up some lunch. They're rapidly selling-out everywhere according to the news.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
Little Debbie to the rescue.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »
An article i read this morning (can't find it now) said that the Teamsters had been close to settlement, and looked into the financials.  Saw that there was no bluff and agreed to more cuts.  A smaller non-teamster union held out, and more or less told the teamsters to shove it, they made their own decisions, and refused to the agreement that teamsters and management had reached.

Guess they weren't bluffing...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »
Little Debbie to the rescue.

Little Debbie does Irving?   [popcorn]
--Lysander Spooner