Author Topic: the late unlamented Fourth Amendment...  (Read 4423 times)

longeyes

• friend
the late unlamented Fourth Amendment...
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:38:14 AM »
Well, I guess it's back to smoke signals, pigeons, and crumpled napkins.

No doubt cryptography will see a new resurgence.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57552225-38/senate-bill-rewrite-lets-feds-read-your-e-mail-without-warrants/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: the late unlamented Fourth Amendment...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
Home servers and personal DNS registrations.  Personal mail servers, not hosted "out there."  Encrypted disks.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »
We can use some practical advice from our brethren on this forum on this one.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »
Home servers and personal DNS registrations.  Personal mail servers, not hosted "out there."  Encrypted disks.
Encrypted disks, yes.  Home servers are only as secure as the software that runs them - which in most cases isn't very.  Especially with the government able to run man-in-the-middle attacks.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »
Encrypted disks, yes.  Home servers are only as secure as the software that runs them - which in most cases isn't very.  Especially with the government able to run man-in-the-middle attacks.

Linux, a bit of time making a good set of iptable rules (host based firewall), and postfix. You're more secure than 99% of companies on the planet earth. Use encrypted disks and encrypted backups, you're more secure than 99.999% of the companies or governments.

If you use an encrypted disk, and ssh your traffic, even if you're using a leased VPS, you're fairly secure even from warrants against your host. It's theoretically possible to do some interesting things through the CPU, but... Not very practical. They can ask YOU for the key, but they won't get much aside from traffic analysis.

That is one thing I wouldn't mind writing or assembling. A chat client (preferably server cached until verified delivery) for smart phones, that ssh's to a server. Secure alternative to SMS. Sort of like simplistic, retarded email but drastically easier than PKI.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 01:09:04 PM »
one hundred percent method?

don't say anything you don't want heard    or at least don't say it online
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
Linux, a bit of time making a good set of iptable rules (host based firewall), and postfix. You're more secure than 99% of companies on the planet earth. Use encrypted disks and encrypted backups, you're more secure than 99.999% of the companies or governments.

If you use an encrypted disk, and ssh your traffic, even if you're using a leased VPS, you're fairly secure even from warrants against your host. It's theoretically possible to do some interesting things through the CPU, but... Not very practical. They can ask YOU for the key, but they won't get much aside from traffic analysis.

That is one thing I wouldn't mind writing or assembling. A chat client (preferably server cached until verified delivery) for smart phones, that ssh's to a server. Secure alternative to SMS. Sort of like simplistic, retarded email but drastically easier than PKI.

This stuff makes my head swim. Is there a nice step-by-step with pictures type of tutorial out there?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
I've always wondered what would happen if you started sending random PGP encoded strings inside of an MMORPG game like World of Warcraft's chat feature.  Not aimed at any particular other character, just in the general chat window for a given 'zone.'  Keep it in a low population density zone (not the trade channel at Stormwind, for example... maybe Arathi Highlands?).

Any idea how long it would take until your account got kaibashed and/or you got an interesting visit?

Anything in the EULA about using WoW chat to send encrypted information?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
I've always wondered what would happen if you started sending random PGP encoded strings inside of an MMORPG game like World of Warcraft's chat feature.  Not aimed at any particular other character, just in the general chat window for a given 'zone.'  Keep it in a low population density zone (not the trade channel at Stormwind, for example... maybe Arathi Highlands?).

Any idea how long it would take until your account got kaibashed and/or you got an interesting visit?

Iono. While i'm waiting for the tank LFR queue to pop, i'll play around
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »
one hundred percent method?

don't say anything you don't want heard    or at least don't say it online

Not practical or possible these days. Perhaps you can do so, but for businesses or organizations?

Remember, there is no difference to the telephone company between your IP traffic, texts or phone calls. You calling your best friend is just as "online". They go over the same connections, on the same hardware. It's all just different types of traffic. ASCII or unicode is slightly easier to search, but speech to text is "good enough" when it comes to harvesting (especially when you're recording voice for later analysis if needed).

This stuff makes my head swim. Is there a nice step-by-step with pictures type of tutorial out there?

(Insert picture of cash) (insert picture of trusted associate) (insert picture of handing cash to trusted associate)

Step 1. Give money to someone you trust to do it for you.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
Encryption. Hidden truecrypt partition so if you're "forced" to give up the key, you give up the key to the partition that doesn't matter.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »
most of what i do or say is safe for public dissemination.   that which isn't?  isn't and the rules for secrets are still  in effect
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
that which isn't?  isn't and the rules for secrets are still  in effect

Let's say you do contract work. Would you be happy with your competition being able to intercept your bids? Or your calls to suppliers?

It's not "secret", but it's not necessarily information you want specific folks to have.

What about a young lady with a stalker? Any electronic message gives locational information of some sort.
What about a person trying to expose union crimes?
What about someone trying to stomp on a union?
Suppose you're trying to leave your place of employment. Good luck without emailing resumes or other contact information.

None of these may involve secrets, just information you DO NOT want to pass on to specific parties. IF there is no accountability, it WILL be abused for all of these purposes and hundreds of others. Even with things requiring warrants, abuse and mistakes are relatively common.

I am quite and not sarcastically sure that you BELIEVE most of what you disseminate is safe. Trust me, gimme access to what Leahy is proposing, and I could find significantly more than you'd ever think possible. Technically, could do SOME of that legally at the moment. But the acceptableness is moving only in one direction. And it will become easier and easier to hang any innocent man.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 02:24:50 PM »
Technically, could do SOME of that legally at the moment. But the acceptableness is moving only in one direction. And it will become easier and easier to hang any innocent man.

"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him."
----Cardinal Richelieu
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »
I've always wondered what would happen if you started sending random PGP encoded strings inside of an MMORPG game like World of Warcraft's chat feature.  Not aimed at any particular other character, just in the general chat window for a given 'zone.'  Keep it in a low population density zone (not the trade channel at Stormwind, for example... maybe Arathi Highlands?).

Not a gamer so I didn't follow all that; I think you're talking about inserting occasional high-strength-encrypted noise into a public forum that has *very* high readership, but where the noise will not be disruptive to the forum?  That would keep some people busy...

@roo-ster: I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »
Let's say you do contract work. Would you be happy with your competition being able to intercept your bids? Or your calls to suppliers?

It's not "secret", but it's not necessarily information you want specific folks to have.

What about a young lady with a stalker? Any electronic message gives locational information of some sort.
What about a person trying to expose union crimes?
What about someone trying to stomp on a union?
Suppose you're trying to leave your place of employment. Good luck without emailing resumes or other contact information.

None of these may involve secrets, just information you DO NOT want to pass on to specific parties. IF there is no accountability, it WILL be abused for all of these purposes and hundreds of others. Even with things requiring warrants, abuse and mistakes are relatively common.

I am quite and not sarcastically sure that you BELIEVE most of what you disseminate is safe. Trust me, gimme access to what Leahy is proposing, and I could find significantly more than you'd ever think possible. Technically, could do SOME of that legally at the moment. But the acceptableness is moving only in one direction. And it will become easier and easier to hang any innocent man.

you forget there is a world off line   i send bids snail mail or even hand carry them.i am reminded of why i was not encouraged to use weapons over hands in martial arts. one has a tendancy to only want to use the weapon  it becomes a limitation not an asset

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 03:27:32 PM »
you forget there is a world off line   i send bids snail mail or even hand carry them.i am reminded of why i was not encouraged to use weapons over hands in martial arts. one has a tendancy to only want to use the weapon  it becomes a limitation not an asset

No, I don't. I will say that one cannot grow or operate past a certain size offline without extreme hindrance.

On the plus side, we are now living the Dystopian Sci-Fi future, folks! Woot!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:30:51 PM by RevDisk »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
On the plus side, we are now living the Dystopian Sci-Fi future, folks! Woot!

Yup. Joy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »
1) The law never offered protection to anything that was not "in transit".  Not yet sent?  Already read?  All were fair game from day #1.  That's how/why they gor into what's-his-name's email to and from what's-her-name.

2) The government may not use excessive coersion to make you release an encryption key, but they can incarcerate you until you do.  Can't recall the specific case but a lady denies that she has the key to an encrypted hard drive that the feds have not been able to decrypt and need to do so in order to determine if what's on it is evidence.  The feds, predictably, say she knows the key.  The judge says the feds can hold her as a material witness till three weeks after Hell freezes over or she divulges they key, whichever occurs first, if that's what they want to do.

Do you want your gruel left-handed or right-handed?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
>Give money to someone you trust to do it for you<

Willing to work for cheesecake and mead? ;)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 06:05:08 PM »
>Give money to someone you trust to do it for you<

Willing to work for cheesecake and mead? ;)

Sold! :lol:
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »

2) The government may not use excessive coersion to make you release an encryption key, but they can incarcerate you until you do.  Can't recall the specific case but a lady denies that she has the key to an encrypted hard drive that the feds have not been able to decrypt and need to do so in order to determine if what's on it is evidence.  The feds, predictably, say she knows the key.  The judge says the feds can hold her as a material witness till three weeks after Hell freezes over or she divulges they key, whichever occurs first, if that's what they want to do.

You have to first prove whether the device even has an encrypted container in the first place.

Could just be random 1/0 noise from deleted file segments that have been overwritten in the past.  See?  Here's my password to the only encrypted container on it, right here.  There are no other containers. :angel:
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
1) The law never offered protection to anything that was not "in transit".  Not yet sent?  Already read?  All were fair game from day #1.  That's how/why they gor into what's-his-name's email to and from what's-her-name.

Do you want your gruel left-handed or right-handed?

stay safe.

That's why we need to use torture.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 06:38:41 PM »
Speak in riddles like The Joker or in parables like Jesus or learn an obscure Native American tongue, even better a dead language.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »
@roo-ster: I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

The chair is against the wall
John has a long mustache
I like pie
I=E/R
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams