Author Topic: the late unlamented Fourth Amendment...  (Read 4422 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: the late unlamented Fourth Amendment...
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 07:06:16 PM »
Linux, a bit of time making a good set of iptable rules (host based firewall), and postfix. You're more secure than 99% of companies on the planet earth. Use encrypted disks and encrypted backups, you're more secure than 99.999% of the companies or governments.

If you use an encrypted disk, and ssh your traffic, even if you're using a leased VPS, you're fairly secure even from warrants against your host. It's theoretically possible to do some interesting things through the CPU, but... Not very practical. They can ask YOU for the key, but they won't get much aside from traffic analysis.

That is one thing I wouldn't mind writing or assembling. A chat client (preferably server cached until verified delivery) for smart phones, that ssh's to a server. Secure alternative to SMS. Sort of like simplistic, retarded email but drastically easier than PKI.

If you figure out a system to bring all of that to your average interwebz user with convenience and little hassle, you should become wealthy beyond your dreams. Or end up in the Guantanamo-du jour.

one hundred percent method?

don't say anything you don't want heard    or at least don't say it online

Self censorship. That IS what "They" dream of. No need for the special police if individuals police themselves. Kill the Idea, in the mind, before it escapes out your lips and infects the rest.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »
>Speak in riddles like The Joker or in parables like Jesus or learn an obscure Native American tongue, even better a dead language.<

Use Nostradamus' trick: mix languages

German grammar, words in Cantonese, French, Swahili, and Dutch (in different patterns)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »
Speak in riddles like The Joker or in parables like Jesus or learn an obscure Native American tongue, even better a dead language.

Cait a bheil an taigh beag ?

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
You have to first prove whether the device even has an encrypted container in the first place.

No. That is pure naivete.

The government will claim that you do have an encrypted container and hold you until you divulge the alleged key to the alleged data they claim you have, until the data looks like what they are looking for. That is the current reality.

I've been saying for years that people should encrypt everything, ESPECIALLY the mundane and boring stuff that you don't even care about hiding. If you read old cyberpunk SciFi (True Names etc.) it was assumed that in cyberspace, everything would be encrypted and everyone would be pseudonymous, because these pre-Internet pioneers could see the ramifications of doing otherwise.

We will probably get there eventually. Kim Dotcom (of Megaupload fame) got his mansion raided, cars and other toys stolen, and assets frozen for alleged criminal charges (mere copyright infringement wasn't enough to extradite him to the US; so the Hollywood shills at the FBI brought criminal money laundering charges instead). Now he's working on a new Megaupload concept where all content is encrypted by the user so that Megaupload itself doesn't know what the data IS, and so it can have perfect plausible deniability as to its legality, and also, the government can't find incriminating data even if it does raid their servers, because it would all be encrypted. Proper hackers have been saying 'well duh, that's the way you should have been doing it from the beginning' for decades now.

I have a feeling the next generation may have a much better understanding of public-key encryption and two-factor identification. And I'm not sure if I should be sad about that or relieved.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
>Speak in riddles like The Joker or in parables like Jesus or learn an obscure Native American tongue, even better a dead language.<
Use Nostradamus' trick: mix languages
German grammar, words in Cantonese, French, Swahili, and Dutch (in different patterns)...

"... that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand"  (plus it would be really cool when you got good at it  :cool:)
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 07:36:22 AM »
if using the encryption within the encryption method, would it be possible to use two passwords.  one that gives you access to all your info, and the other that allows access to the first partition while erasing the second?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »
I have a feeling the next generation may have a much better understanding of public-key encryption and two-factor identification. And I'm not sure if I should be sad about that or relieved.

If they don't, they're going to have a rough time. But, laws will always exist to compromise security.

Problem is, PKI is annoying to implement correctly. Two-factor ID is better than nothing, but not very helpful if say, RSA's servers get hacked and they did such a crappy job that it compromises the folks that bought their two factor products.

if using the encryption within the encryption method, would it be possible to use two passwords.  one that gives you access to all your info, and the other that allows access to the first partition while erasing the second?

Yes. Already exists.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.