Author Topic: Federal Employee NIMBYism  (Read 4582 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Federal Employee NIMBYism
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »
http://nationaljournal.com/congress-legacy/federal-workers-to-congress-leave-us-out-of-deficit-deal-20121120

Not in my backyard!

Not from my paycheck!

Not my job!

Yawn.  Whatever.

Boeing engineers don't get to say that.  IT geeks don't get to say that.  Car salesmen don't get to say that. 

According to the coalition, federal employees have funded $60 billion in budget savings in 2011 and 2012 as a result of their ongoing pay freeze and an additional $28 billion in savings will be derived from the freeze extension through March 2013.

Federal workers also contributed $15 billion toward the budget in 2011 when the contribution rate toward retirement pensions was raised to 2.3 percent for new employees.

So... Federal workers only account for $60 + $28 + 15 = $103 billion of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 budget overrun?

Pray tell, what capital expenditures (since it isn't the holiest-of-holies Federal Employee budget ;/) account for the remaining annual $1.2 trillion (of $1.3 trillion total annual deficit as of 2011... and granting that the "sacrifices" of these employees can be applied in sum to only 1 year's deficit rather than 2-3 years as is reality) deficit?

The government buys "stuff" and "labor."  That's it.

Did we buy $1.2 trillion too much "stuff?"  Or employ $1.2 trillion too much labor?

Reality sucks.  Reality is layoffs, just like Boeing, Lockheed, seasonal agricultural employers, or Christmas season retail sales jobs.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Federal Employee NIMBYism
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »
Government employment is a trade-off of pay for benefits and longevity.

Well, it was until someone noticed that the bottom of the barrel was getting mighty thin what with all the scraping going on.

As fiscally meaningless as it might be, why has Congress not imposed a pay freeze on itself?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:28 PM »
RIF bitches! Needs to happen ASAP.

Government employment is a trade-off of pay for benefits and longevity.

Lolwut? Fed .gov workers get paid plenty well, don't let anyone tell you different. So they get all three, a goodly amount of money, good benefits, and good job security. Although if you are an honest person, you do trade your soul for employment as a fed .gov worker.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:37:16 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:27:44 PM »
I also re-read my quoted section above:

According to the coalition, federal employees have funded $60 billion in budget savings in 2011 and 2012 as a result of their ongoing pay freeze and an additional $28 billion in savings will be derived from the freeze extension through March 2013.

Federal workers also contributed $15 billion toward the budget in 2011 when the contribution rate toward retirement pensions was raised to 2.3 percent for new employees.

That's some new math to come up with $103 billion in 3 separate fiscal years, on top of all that.

Budget freezes don't cut annual deficits.  Budget CUTS will cut annual deficits.

I gave them way too much credit.  They wanted a $1.4 trillion deficit in 2011, but were kind enough to make it only $1.3 trillion.  How nice of them. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:46:59 PM »
Have you looked at their salaries lately?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »
Can it really be called paying for labor when you're paying some people to do nothing? Then again, certain programs do incentivize "procreation" so could that be classified as subsidizing prostitution?  [popcorn]

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:30:38 AM »
No, you have to work for the UN to do that.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:50:04 AM »
http://nationaljournal.com/congress-legacy/federal-workers-to-congress-leave-us-out-of-deficit-deal-20121120
 . . .  Did we buy $1.2 trillion too much "stuff?"  Or employ $1.2 trillion too much labor? . . .
The government's welfare programs - NOT including Social Security - now run over $1 trillion dollars a year.  http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2012/10/welfare-is-at-an-all-time-high

Make-work programs (like the old WPA) though inefficient and wasteful, still leave behind useful things like roads, bridges, and sidewalks. For all the good welfare spending does, we might as well be flushing truckloads of greenbacks down the sewer, or piling them on a bonfire.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »
They won't mind raising taxes to keep their game going.

I suggest this: a surtax--maybe 25 per cent--on all government workers.  It's only "fair."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »
The government's welfare programs - NOT including Social Security - now run over $1 trillion dollars a year.  http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2012/10/welfare-is-at-an-all-time-high

Make-work programs (like the old WPA) though inefficient and wasteful, still leave behind useful things like roads, bridges, and sidewalks. For all the good welfare spending does, we might as well be flushing truckloads of greenbacks down the sewer, or piling them on a bonfire.

I have long wished for a return of the WPA and/or the CCC from the 1930's.  There is enough backlog of work in the National Forests, National Parks and other recreation areas to keep thousands of people busy for a long time.  Way better to do this then sit on your butt all day doing Facebook.

PS: I am especially thinking of this because of an article in the morning paper about a road into the Cascades finally being approved to be rebuilt and reopened after being closed for almost ten years due to storm damage.  Budget cuts have prevented the work until now.  Every spring, there is considerable storm damage to our forest recreational infrastructure that has to be repaired. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:46:20 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 09:31:40 AM »
I have long wished for a return of the WPA and/or the CCC from the 1930's.   There is enough backlog of work in the National Forests, National Parks and other recreation areas to keep thousands of people busy for a long time.  Way better to do this then sit on your butt all day doing Facebook.

PS: I am especially thinking of this because of an article in the morning paper about a road into the Cascades finally being approved to be rebuilt and reopened after being closed for almost ten years due to storm damage.  Budget cuts have prevented the work until now.  Every spring, there is considerable storm damage to our forest recreational infrastructure that has to be repaired. 

I don't.

But, as has been pointed out, if we're going to just waste money, I'd prefer to use it inefficiently on infrastructure projects rather than just flushing it. Inefficient spending >>> useless spending.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
I have long wished for a return of the WPA and/or the CCC from the 1930's.  There is enough backlog of work in the National Forests, National Parks and other recreation areas to keep thousands of people busy for a long time

Hell *expletive deleted*ing no. We still have a (much smaller) version of the CCC. The people in the program do nothing at all when they are "working". It's total bullshit. Trust me, I know this stuff cold, I've got 6 years in this field. What really needs to happen to solve issues with such agencies is a total remodeling of the agency attitudes and such. It is certainly not a lack of personnell or funding like many in the agencies claim it is...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
Hell *expletive deleted* no. We still have a (much smaller) version of the CCC. The people in the program do nothing at all when they are "working". It's total bullshit. Trust me, I know this stuff cold, I've got 6 years in this field. What really needs to happen to solve issues with such agencies is a total remodeling of the agency attitudes and such. It is certainly not a lack of personnell or funding like many in the agencies claim it is...

We do?  What is the agency called? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »
We do?  What is the agency called? 

Youth Conservation Corps. Program, not an agency. Takes people in the same young men (and now women, of course) catagory as the YCC and is supposed to put them to work doing basic cleanup, trails maintence, improvements, and so on.

Unfortunately, because it is NOT administered by military officers who enforce discipline, the jackwagons do nothing.

Same goes for "park volunteers". In many cases, again, they do nothing but sure put on a good show.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
They just need to put you in charge of their activities when they're at your park  >:D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
I have long wished for a return of the WPA and/or the CCC from the 1930's.  There is enough backlog of work in the National Forests, National Parks and other recreation areas to keep thousands of people busy for a long time.  Way better to do this then sit on your butt all day doing Facebook.

Why not revert those lands to the states and disband the USDA, BLM and USFS?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
Because it would make to much sense
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »

Most states if not all have something along the lines of a state parks or forest service type agencies. My state does, and my agency manages 47 parks and 5 or so welcome centers. We could easily absorb the seven national parks and two national forests that are here.

And as bad as my agency is, it is far more fiscally responsible than our federal equivalents.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
They just need to put you in charge of their activities when they're at your park  >:D

Chain gang time! Seriously we have inmates that come out and do more and better work than the YCC types.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »
Most states if not all have something along the lines of a state parks or forest service type agencies. My state does, and my agency manages 47 parks and 5 or so welcome centers. We could easily absorb the seven national parks and two national forests that are here.

And as bad as my agency is, it is far more fiscally responsible than our federal equivalents.
And that is one of the real hearts of the matter. Most states have duplication of a lot of federal agencies that, with a little expansion perhaps, could easily absorb a big majority of what the feds do.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »

Works for me  =)

I'm pretty sure that a western state like Montana could pretty well finance the state budget just on revenue from all those lands if managed properly for sustainable yields.

The USFS used to make a 90+% profit on timber, mining, grazing, etc  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
Why should a federal workers have a union to represent them?

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 07:29:47 PM »
Even FDR thought that public service workers' unions were a bad idea...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)