Author Topic: Speaking of guitars...  (Read 922 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Speaking of guitars...
« on: November 21, 2012, 11:54:11 PM »
A good friend of mine is an aspiring guitarist, and he's gotten pretty good with his electric. Now he's in the market for a <$500 acoustic, and I'd love to be able to give him some guidance about what to look for. Any of the guitar playing folks have some guidance, makes models etc?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

tokugawa

• friend
Re: Speaking of guitars...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:05:44 AM »
good question to ask at the www.acousticguitarforum.com   

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:33:03 AM »
I'm a fan of ovations
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:52:25 AM »
I'm a fan of ovations

Standing or seated?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:14:50 AM »
Both!  :rofl:

Actually sitting with an Ovation is tough because the round back makes it too easy for it to slip out of your lap.  [tinfoil]

Takamine always made nice guitars. I just recently saw a taylor demo and was impressed. I think they may be a bit more than he wants to spend. Now, for $6000 or so I can hook him up with this luthier I know who makes a very mean steel string.  >:D

Guild too. tell him to search the pawnshops high and low and look for good deals on quality brands. Better to bring someone that knows guitars too. There are some awesome deals to be found out there.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
I have been watching Seattle CL for a year or more, looking for a decent $500 acoustic.  They come and go, but one thing has really stuck in my mind- the really high end Martins, Gibson's ,Collings, Santa Cruz,  etc are not selling at all- Same listings for months and months- high end guitars, half or two thirds off original  price, just sit there.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »
my cheapo acoustic is failing me and I've looked around a bit, quite a lot of good deals to be had in the 500 dollar range right now where do you live? post a link to your local craigslist and let us have a peek at whats out there.

I saw some good deals advertised at guitar center but off hand cant remember, maybe martin or gibson.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."