Author Topic: Reducing the defecit  (Read 3086 times)

Regolith

• friend
Reducing the defecit
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:37:16 AM »
So I had this idea to reduce the federal deficit. Basically, you find the percentage of federal spending that is deficit spending (basically, the stuff not covered by revenue and has to be borrowed), and you tax the income of the President and Congress at that rate, in addition to the regular tax rates. This would include both regular income and capital gains, and so long as the percentage of deficit spending is >0% they will not be able to take any deductions.

So, if the Feds spend $3.6 trillion, and they only bring in $2.4 trillion in taxes, they'd have to pay an additional 33% in taxes over the standard rates. That means that the tax rate for a member of Congress would be 66% for income and 48% for capital gains; for the President it would be 68% for income and again 48% for capital gains.

The beauty is that by adding it to the standard tax rate and disallowing any deductions, they will be loathe to simply increase taxes rather than decrease spending. The only trouble I can find with it is that it would be damn near impossible to get it passed.

Any thoughts?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Reducing the defecit
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »
<snip>it would be damn near impossible to get it passed.

FTFY.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »
If we are wishing, I would modify your rule to make it where their tax rate FOREVER is the average of what you calculated for their term in office, plus their normal rate.  Basically, a surcharge forever.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
They can start with a $5,000 surtax on every government employee just to make things "fair."  That would raise $100 billion a year.

Now commence with across the board cuts of 10 per cent per year until you achieve balance.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
They can start with a $5,000 surtax on every government employee just to make things "fair."  That would raise $100 billion a year.

Now commence with across the board cuts of 10 per cent per year until you achieve balance.

Surtax?  Raise taxes on people who's jobs aren't constitutionally justifiable, eh?
How about a 100% surtax on a number of those agencies?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
Surtax?  Raise taxes on people who's jobs aren't constitutionally justifiable, eh?
How about a 100% surtax on a number of those agencies?

Technically, all government jobs created with existing legislation are constitutionally justifiable, I think you mean to implement the above, but with a different version of "justifiable".

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »
The only way to reduce the deficit is to reduce spending - preferably to the level of income (revenue).

Anybody with a lick of sense knows that you can't live beyond your means indefinitely  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »
Technically, all government jobs created with existing legislation are constitutionally justifiable, I think you mean to implement the above, but with a different version of "justifiable".

Good point.

God I could saw off a whole lot of the federal government happily if I was king.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »
Good point.

God I could saw off a whole lot of the federal government happily if I was king.

Well, if you were king, I'd assume most of the government/constitution would have already been sawn off...having a monarch and all :)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
Were I president the budget I would send to Congress would have a lot of $0 line items.  Whole departments....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »
I've played the "if I were President" game before. Came to the conclusion that Congress would descend on the White House with torches and pitchforks.

And the Secret Service would be buying Malox by the skidload
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:55:57 PM »
Strings, have you ever read Lawdog's "if I were president" post?  It's great...

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/11/old-political-humour.html
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
Actually, many of his more serious ideas are what I'm thinking of...

-every bill must cite Constitutional Authority, or be immediately vetoed
-Any bill on my desk must contain one issue: no more riders
-Kelo the UN? Oh, HELL yeah
-explain to the White House Press Corps that questions about my religion, stance on currently dead issues, or personal life will result in blacklisting on the second offense. Same for asking a question I already answered
-Where other presidents golf, I would dedicate one day a week to an IPSC or 3-gun shoot with the Secret Service and 8th & I.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »
Whatever we do, however we do it, it is going to have to be dramatic.  We all know that if we don't implement it ourselves, it will be implemented against our will by the market and by foreign interests.  But the "drama" needs to have a moral center--and that's the tough part.  If there is any point to this nation it has to be that you have rights to the fruits of your own labor and initiative.  Without that guarantee of property as our grounding principle, the whole process is radically unjust and pointless.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 04:41:45 PM »

It's good to be the king.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »
"So, if the Feds spend $3.6 trillion, and they only bring in $2.4 trillion in taxes, they'd have to pay an additional 33% in taxes over the standard rates. That means that the tax rate for a member of Congress would be 66% for income and 48% for capital gains; for the President it would be 68% for income and again 48% for capital gains."

You mean 50 per cent, don't you?  The shortfall is $1.2T against $2.4T.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
So I had this idea to reduce the federal deficit. Basically, you find the percentage of federal spending that is deficit spending (basically, the stuff not covered by revenue and has to be borrowed), and you tax the income of the President and Congress at that rate, in addition to the regular tax rates. This would include both regular income and capital gains, and so long as the percentage of deficit spending is >0% they will not be able to take any deductions.

So, if the Feds spend $3.6 trillion, and they only bring in $2.4 trillion in taxes, they'd have to pay an additional 33% in taxes over the standard rates. That means that the tax rate for a member of Congress would be 66% for income and 48% for capital gains; for the President it would be 68% for income and again 48% for capital gains.

The beauty is that by adding it to the standard tax rate and disallowing any deductions, they will be loathe to simply increase taxes rather than decrease spending. The only trouble I can find with it is that it would be damn near impossible to get it passed.

Any thoughts?

I'd also add their "campaign contributions" to the income and capital gains, but at double that rate.

ETA: Should the tax rate cap at 100% for income/cap gains/campaign funds for the year or be allowed to exceed 100%? Also should there be an exception for subsistence and housing (at the military E-5 rates) so if you do have some good congresscritters in there, they don't starve because they aren't independently wealthy?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:38:13 PM by kgbsquirrel »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 10:45:56 PM »
Any thoughts?

I think it would be much simpler for the .gov to just not spend more than than it takes in. A good place to start would be to stop ALL foreign aid. Another place to start would be to call all the un-repaid "loans" we gave out during and after WW2.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 10:49:57 PM »
I think it would be much simpler for the .gov to just not spend more than than it takes in. A good place to start would be to stop ALL foreign aid. Another place to start would be to call all the un-repaid "loans" we gave out during and after WW2.

Thing is, the ".gov" is composed of people who don't exactly want to stop spending all that money. So the idea is to create negative incentives to induce them to change their ways.

If you put a bowl of someone else's candy in front of a child and tell them not to eat it all, and when they do anyways there are no consequences, do you think that child will just suddenly stop eating all the candy that doesn't belong to them?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 12:54:41 AM »
I'd also add their "campaign contributions" to the income and capital gains, but at double that rate.

ETA: Should the tax rate cap at 100% for income/cap gains/campaign funds for the year or be allowed to exceed 100%? Also should there be an exception for subsistence and housing (at the military E-5 rates) so if you do have some good congresscritters in there, they don't starve because they aren't independently wealthy?

Good question. I kind of like the idea of it exceeding 100% and making no allowances, but yeah, there's no reason to punish congressman who are actually trying to get the budget under control. So I'm torn. Maybe make the allowances be the same as the poverty threshold.  Or the same as an E1. >:D

And I agree with the campaign contributions part as well.

Thing is, the ".gov" is composed of people who don't exactly want to stop spending all that money. So the idea is to create negative incentives to induce them to change their ways.

Yup. You can't balance the budget just by taxing the crap out of congressman; there are too few of them. Hell, you could tax the wealthiest 5% of Americans at 100% and it'd be barely enough to cover the deficit, and that wouldn't last for long as the rich would go bankrupt or flee the country. What you can do is give them an incentive to get spending under control, and make it hurt personally when they try to lead us to financial ruin.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth