Author Topic: Anyone know much about wine?  (Read 2925 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Anyone know much about wine?
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2006, 08:38:09 PM »
That Stone Cellars should be decent.  Never tried the Alice White so I can't comment there.  

Oregon does some fantastic Pinot Noirs, and Chardonnays.  That state is definatly on the list of good wine regions, especially for whites and light reds like Pinot Noir.  Blue Moon, IIRC, is OK, but for me somewhat of a disappointment.  I know I've tried their Reisling, can't say I remember ever trying their Merlot.  It might be OK, but I'd be a little hesitant to buy it.  Oregon is not known for their heavy reds nearly so much.

Next time you go wine shopping, if it's a specialty wine shop ask for assistance.  The staff will be able to direct you to some good choices.  If not, do a little research ahead of time and go to the store with a list of 6 or so different wine, and take the first 2-3 you manage to find.  Remember, you're a man and that makes you a hunter.  Go with a purpose and it'll be much easier.  At this point it's more important to get the experience of a number of different types of wine under you belt than to get any particular wine.
Formerly sumpnz

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 07:29:51 AM »
It'll be a much easier trip the next time I think. I was hoping that I'd read correctly and the pinot was a lighter red, sounds like a good next step. The chardonnay is probably going to get popped either tonight or tomorrow night, so more fun down the line.

Good to know that Oregon produces some good wine. I wouldn't have considered it. I'll not disregard it out of hand in the future.

Thanks again-
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 12:34:09 PM »
No problem.  Yes, Pinot Noir is a lighter red.  However that just means it's not usually as heavy in terms of mouthfeel, nor as dark in color as the Cab Sauv's and Syrah's.  It can still develop some impressive spice, cherry, tobacco, and similar flavors.  It's also one of the most difficult to grow and really get right, which is why top-notch Pinot's tend to be rather expensive.  It's personally one of my favorite varietals and can be a great wine for a warm (but not too hot) summer evening.
Formerly sumpnz

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 12:43:23 PM »
Casa Ashcraft always has about 10-12 cases of wine in the cellar.

We prefer the dry reds, Merlot and Cab usually, but we keep a couple cases of Chardonnay around mainly for guests who may prefer white.  Almost all of our cellar consists of California wines, but Australian, Chilean, and, believe it or not, New Mexican wines offer great value.

I occasionally enjoy a good Chianti with pasta.  Speaking of Italian wines, a good Bardolino or Valpolicella can be an outstanding value.

Riunite is not wine, period.  Its a joke played on the Americans by the wine-savvy Italians.  "Riunite on ice, how nice!" :barf:

French wines are great, but usually over-priced.

Here's a tip I learned a long time ago about tasting wine:  First , cleanse the palate with a piece of bread or a cracker or something.  Then take a sip of the wine and let it nestle on the back of your tongue.   The nuances of the flavor will come right through.  If its a red, and the flavor is oak, it needs to lay down for a few years.  A good red will taste of blackberries, currants etc.

More later if you want.

Oh, if it is PINK, its not wine, period.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 09:05:26 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Quote from: Brad Johnson
Wine? Ick.

About the only one I've found that I can even tolerate is a reisling by our local Llano Estacado winery. To me, red wine - any red wine - tastes like sewer water filtered through a well-used jockstrap. Bitter, sharp, and absolutely undrinkable. The over-hopped designer beers currently in fashion are also on my "can't stand" list for the same reason.

Brad
It's OK.  You are a realtor after all.
Well I don't play golf, which makes me even a little more odd than the average house peddler. However, I have been know to be the cooler caddy on occasion.

Smiley

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 09:38:25 AM »
I like the reds; Cabernet and Shiraz or a cab-shiraz blend. Merlot when I have to. I've found Emerald Bay to be a pretty decent brand. It's sold in a bigger bottle for a good price.

I really don't care too much for whites these days although like Silver Bullet, I too like the German wines.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 10:34:15 AM »
Spooky, m'boy...

You see, One must learn to maintain a certain  rolleyes  ... je ne sez quois...when discussing wine.

Annie Green Springs: The after-homecoming date...after the homecoming dance...on the blanket on the 50 yard line.

Boone's Farm: Road music, a fat doobie, a '69 Chevy, and windows down at 70 mph.

And rocketing forward into the 1980's: Riunite on Ice (poo-poohed by some cretins)

Affectations, m'boy.  
Just give me a Newcastle Brown Ale, and I'm happy.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2006, 07:47:29 PM »
I agree about French wines being overrated. Chileans and Australians are hard to beat for value.

Rather than telling you what I like, I'll also agree with the posters telling you to just start trying. Find what you like, even if it's two-buck Chuck. I rarely spend more that seven or eight dollars for a bottle of wine, and I've been very satisfied.

a couple of days, after I've killed the merlot.
Watch out. Wine goes downhill rapidly after it's uncorked. If it'll take you more than two evenings to finish a bottle, invest in the pumps that vacuum-seal the bottle again.
D. R. ZINN