Author Topic: Inflation  (Read 1103 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Inflation
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
http://govtslaves.info/bid-farewell-to-pennies-and-nickels/

Obama, Bush, Romney, whatever.  Statists spend.  And borrow.

The result is a penny that costs 5 cents to make, and a nickel that costs 16 cents to make, because they keep borrowing money and debasing those pennies and nickels.

So, say goodbye to the penny and nickel, starting January 2013.  All transactions will be rounded to the nearest next higher dime, which according to merchants they are more than happy to do.  Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Oh, yeah.... and the dime?  It's threatened too.  9.2 cents to make that little sliver of zinc.  At least until your elected Statists further debase our currency so it takes 18 cents to even make that.  Then we'll be rounding to the nearest quarter.  Or dollar.

Zimbabwe.  It beckons.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Inflation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »
I'm having trouble finding confirmation of this on the treasury site or any major news outlet.  Anyone else find anything?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:53:43 PM »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »
An article from March of 2012 saying the penny is not going anywhere.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/u-s-penny-to-be-kept-as-canada-bids-coin-farewell/

The US Mint says they aren't going away either.

http://www.usmint.gov/faqs/circulating_coins/

It wouldn't surprise me if Geithner was trying to get rid of them, though.  Hank Paulson wanted to get rid of pennies, if I remember correctly.

edit:  forgot to type in "not" on my first line

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »
Yeah, I got nothin on a major news site or the mint or anyone else I'd expect to see such an announcement from.

I'll refrain from ZOMG! till I see someone pick it up.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
Inflation.  Consider that in the 100 years (mas o minus) of the Fed, the dollar has lost 95% of its purchasing power.  Ponder this factoid... every day of the last 4 years, Fed.Gov has spent four BILLION borrowed (read: printed) dollars more than it took in.  Every.  Day.  I fully expect the next 95% drop, when it starts to snowball, won't take anywhere near as long as the first 95% did.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »
Inflation.  Consider that in the 100 years (mas o minus) of the Fed, the dollar has lost 95% of its purchasing power.  Ponder this factoid... every day of the last 4 years, Fed.Gov has spent four BILLION borrowed (read: printed) dollars more than it took in.  Every.  Day.  I fully expect the next 95% drop, when it starts to snowball, won't take anywhere near as long as the first 95% did.

My rough calulation is that the dollar has lost 90% of it's value in the 40 years since I graduated from high school - in other words most everything is 10x more expensive.  =(

Of course, the 1972 dollar was already pretty devalued from 1912.  ;/

Let's see ... ten percent of nuthin' is nuthin' and carry the nuthin' ....
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin