Author Topic: Which MRE is the best?  (Read 10477 times)

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Which MRE is the best?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 08:47:47 PM »
The newer tan ones beat the hell out of those old dark-brown ones.

I do miss the dried fruit, though.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Which MRE is the best?
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 01:26:22 AM »
Gee, I guess they are tan. Cheesy

Funny, I just went to pick up another dozen at the local Mil Surp yesterday and they are out and he says he can't find any. Anyone know where they are?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Which MRE is the best?
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 02:59:10 AM »
Perhaps Saint Louis, Manhattan or California, where we've been having black-outs.  We had them here in Saint Louis, anyway.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Which MRE is the best?
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006, 03:11:14 AM »
Probably so...

Are there any online places I could look?

OK, there are LOTS of places under "MRE" on the google. ANybody prefer any particular place? How do I know I'm getting the real deal? I've heard there's some look alikes out there.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

doczinn

• friend
Which MRE is the best?
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 08:08:05 AM »
The true "real deal" is illegal for civilian sale. You can find similar meals, sometimes by the same manufacturers. I've never seen the exact thing since they made them illegal, but it should be out there somewhere.
D. R. ZINN

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Which MRE is the best?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2006, 09:33:36 AM »
Quote from: wingnutx
I like "country captain chicken" the best.

It's been discontinued, though :~(
Nope.  I just saw one when I was digging through a box of MREs on Wednesday.  I passed it by though.  Country Captain Chicken is not my thing.

The true "real deal" is illegal for civilian sale. You can find similar meals, sometimes by the same manufacturers. I've never seen the exact thing since they made them illegal, but it should be out there somewhere.
Yup.  Every MRE says "Illegal for Commercial Resale" (or something very similar) on it.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Which MRE is the best?
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2006, 11:37:41 AM »
If you saw Country Captain Chicken then it's been on the shelf for a while Smiley

It'll take them a while to rotate all the older stock through GI's stomachs.

Which MRE is the best?
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 12:40:57 PM »
Beef Stew is the best I have eaten.

Worst was supposed to be "eggs with bacon" - ummm...this makes for a great science project, not even the dog would get near it.

"Daddy someone done messed up really really bad, can we go to Sonic instead?"  Dog and I went to Sonic...always listen to the dog...

Of course I am still pissed they do not do "C Rations" anymore.

Now them were good!  Had THE BEST chocolate in some. That little pouch with a 5 Pk of smokes, P-38, Water Resistant Matches, ...

Now the Peanut Butter was "interesting" , One could use this for fixing cracks in cement, stucco, and stick 2x4's together to make a bridge. Eat this stuff and never again need Polident. The "crackers" were interesting too, clay targets break easier than them things, yes I tested this...

Even the ham and eggs were good.  Main courses were good, fruits and such great!

I know, MREs are more portable and all...

Still for what most folks buy MREs for - C Rations would work just as well if not better.

Bring C Rations back I say.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Which MRE is the best?
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2006, 12:48:36 PM »
A couple or three years ago, in preparation for a camping trip across the country to several of the national parks, I ordered some MREs from a mail order place, and bought some others at a local Army-Navy store. IMHO they were all equally unpalatable.

I settled on carrying a bunch of cans of Dinty Moore beef stew from the local supermarket. MREs = gag me with a spoon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design