Author Topic: T-Bones Down, Rear Ends Up  (Read 737 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
T-Bones Down, Rear Ends Up
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: T-Bones Down, Rear Ends Up
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »
What has been discovered in other states is that municipalities reduced the yellow light times after the cameras were installed to generate more revenue.  Of course there were then more accidents at those intersections.

http://www.motorists.org/red-light-cameras/yellow-lights
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
The point that is often ignored in that statistic, though, is that rear-end accidents generally result in FAR FEWER serious injuries and deaths due to the simple geometry of a vehicle and the human body's response to a rear-end strike vs. a T-bone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »
Well then that just makes it okie dookie
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »
Well then that just makes it okie dookie

According to the article total accident rates stayed pretty much the same, but there were less of the kind more likely to kill you and more of the kind more likely to not seriously hurt you. This is in fact okie dokie. Obviously it would be beret to have less total accidents, but we ain't there yet. And i say that as someone who hates red light cameras and live in a city that users them for revenue generation.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »
I mostly posted this so I could have a subject line about T-Bones and rear ends.

I fully concur that fender benders are better than injury accidents. It's still something to think about regarding unintended consequences. The targeted accident type went down, but there was an unanticipated rise in another accident type. in this case, luckily the unintended type was less severe, but it could have gone the other way as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »

The good news is that at least they were not put in place to improve safety.

If they had really been put there to make things safer, the fatality rate would have gone up significantly.

Be thankful they were only put there to boost revenues.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
So....this isn't the thread about the NAMBLA Annual Cookout?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »
I fully concur that fender benders are better than injury accidents. It's still something to think about regarding unintended consequences. The targeted accident type went down, but there was an unanticipated rise in another accident type. in this case, luckily the unintended type was less severe, but it could have gone the other way as well.

Having lived with the consequences of a whiplash injury for 54 years, I have to point out that rear-end collisions are not "non-injury" accidents. Nor are T-bones necessarily "injury" accidents. Twelve years ago, the girl who was the receptionist in the office where I worked at the time ran a red light on the way to work because she was blinded by the rising sun. (Yes, I knew her route and, yes, the sun would have been in her eyes.) The timing was such that SHE got T-boned -- her Cherokee was hit on the driver's side A-pillar (the front door hinge). She was shaken up but uninjured. Her boyfriend put a junkyard door and fender on the Jeep and it was still drivable. In fact, I later bought it from her and it's parked outside right now.

The only thing absolute about absolutes is that there absolutely aren't any absolutes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design