Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101400 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #375 on: February 26, 2013, 09:47:48 PM »
I need XDS mags as well now...damn gun buying habit.

I can help you with that.  It is a time proven system...just send all your guns to me and that will help your habit by making you buy more.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #376 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:25 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to find a couple 20-round AK magazines in the mailbox this afternoon. 

I ordered them last week from CTD. 

I didn't really need any more AK mags, but I figured I'd give them a try just for listing something "in stock". 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #377 on: February 26, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
A friend of mine just got his first AR a few weeks  ago and has had a tough time getting mags and ammo. Igavehim a few of myspare 30rd mags loaded with xm-193. I think that might have made his week. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

birdman

• friend
« Reply #378 on: February 26, 2013, 10:04:15 PM »
I can help you with that.  It is a time proven system...just send all your guns to me and that will help your habit by making you buy more.

What a great idea!  Or you could send me yours, and I won't have to buy any more :)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #379 on: February 26, 2013, 10:44:46 PM »
What a great idea!  Or you could send me yours, and I won't have to buy any more :)
Darn it foiled again. ;)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #380 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
I need XDS mags as well now...damn gun buying habit.

Marc

Now that the XD45 is coming back to me, I won't have too much need for the 7 round mags. I would entertain a trade for some full size XD45 mags.

You have an XD45 doncha?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #381 on: February 26, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »
They are starting to grab whatever is left.
If I find "They's" house, I'm going to be pretty well stocked up for a while.jim

Not too sure where he lives,  but I used to chat with him a bit on the old THR.  Neat guy (if a little nutty).

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Man-Legally-Changes-Name-To-They-2692203.php

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #382 on: February 26, 2013, 11:18:17 PM »
A friend of mine just got his first AR a few weeks  ago and has had a tough time getting mags and ammo. Igavehim a few of myspare 30rd mags loaded with xm-193. I think that might have made his week. :laugh:
Well no kidding you made his week.  That's like giving someone a decent used car or something.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #383 on: February 27, 2013, 06:55:08 AM »
For XDs Mags, I ordered a couple direct from Springfield Armory over Christmas and got them in a few weeks.  At the time, the 7 rd mags were out every where. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #384 on: February 27, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »
Marc

Now that the XD45 is coming back to me, I won't have too much need for the 7 round mags. I would entertain a trade for some full size XD45 mags.

You have an XD45 doncha?

No XD45, just XDs, XD9 and XDm40

erictank

• friends
« Reply #385 on: February 27, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »
For XDs Mags, I ordered a couple direct from Springfield Armory over Christmas and got them in a few weeks.  At the time, the 7 rd mags were out every where. 

Took somewhere between 2-3 weeks for the 19-rd 9mm XDm mags to get to me, following ordering.

Need the pistol now... (and still have to get that Mossberg 590, too).

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #386 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »
FBI NICS February volume is slightly down from last month (Jan). Still at unprecedented levels. It is more typical for January sales to crash from December peak and Feb and Mar to provide a very small bounce to the yearly average before the summer slow down to below year average. Of course, this season was a record breaker, and all around unprecedented in NICS volume.

Jan 2013 (2.5M checks) was only slightly below the Dec 2012 peak (2.8M checks), and again Feb 2013 recedes further to (est 2.3M checks).

I theorize that the only reason why Jan and Feb numbers are down is because of supply chain constraints. There is simply nothing (ar15 style) left for retailers to sell, therefore, the volume appears to be receding, when in fact demand at normal market prices is still unfilled.

Dec 2011 - 1.86M (prev record)
Nov 2012 - 2.00M (prev record)
Dec 2012 - 2.78M (Record)
Jan 2013 - 2.52M
Feb 2013 - 2.34M (estimated)
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #387 on: February 27, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »

I have two 7 round XD-s mags. Would trade for XD45 mags
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

erictank

• friends
« Reply #388 on: February 27, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »
Very nearly 10 million FFL firearms sales, in FOUR MONTHS?  :O Not even counting private-party sales, in most of the country?

Wow. Just... wow.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »
Very nearly 10 million FFL firearms sales, in FOUR MONTHS?  :O Not even counting private-party sales, in most of the country?

Wow. Just... wow.

To get the real impact of how unprecedented this is, take a look at the plots I put together for my old thread about it...

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=37800.msg763353#msg763353
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to find a couple 20-round AK magazines in the mailbox this afternoon. 

I ordered them last week from CTD. 

I didn't really need any more AK mags, but I figured I'd give them a try just for listing something "in stock". 

Why?  I thought they were part of the "capitulators" and the collective we was abstaining from giving them any of our business.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
Nope. I never considered CTD to be Satan's Loin Juice.

That was somebody else.

Near as I can tell, they only stopped sales momentarily to give themselves a business reality check.

That's something the brick & mortar gun shops should've done now that they have empty shelves and no incoming inventory until gawd knows when.

If they're capitulators, how come they donated $100K to the SAF?  All the boycotters held a gun to their head?

The AK mags I bought were at the pre-December prices, so if they were gouging, I couldn't see it in my purchase.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2013, 05:45:21 PM »
Occasionally CTD has decent deals on something.  I have ordered several Suomi M31 9mm stick mags from them lately since they have them in stock.  They generally ship quickly also. 

Normally, their pricing is not in line with other suppliers or not the lowest.  Occasionally, they have what I want when no one else does.  I don't think I have ever ordered ammo from them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
I don't get the hate for CTD either.

Everyone loves capitalists until someone actually acts like one.

If there's anything to not like them for its their other business practices, such as when they take your money and then tell you something is on backorder for 6 months.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »
I don't get the hate for CTD either.

Everyone loves capitalists until someone actually acts like one.

If there's anything to not like them for its their other business practices, such as when they take your money and then tell you something is on backorder for 6 months.

Yep my issue with CTD is their other business practices.

Hence I say let them die. There are far better companies to do business with for sure. Business that DON'T jerk one around like CTD or Botach does.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2013, 01:09:28 AM »
CTD and at least one of the other major suppliers (Centerfire Systems I think?) canceled a bunch of orders placed before the panic so they could resell at panic prices. All the people who had the foresight to order before prices went nuts screwed over so they could expand their profit margin. I won't support that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2013, 05:46:34 AM »
CTD and at least one of the other major suppliers (Centerfire Systems I think?) canceled a bunch of orders placed before the panic so they could resell at panic prices. All the people who had the foresight to order before prices went nuts screwed over so they could expand their profit margin. I won't support that.

This. I don't have a HUGE issue with their raising prices due to supply-and-demand (although I thought they raised them too far, and I wouldn't pay $100 for a Magpul AR mag). Cancelling outstanding orders placed before the panic so they could try to resell at inflated prices afterwards? That's dishonest, and worthy of punishment.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2013, 10:24:23 PM »
Borepatch chats with a Glock marketing guy.

Glock is, basically, a year behind in US orders:

I took the dogs to the dog park, and it was cold - almost Yankeeland cold.  There were just a few of us watching the dogs play.  Then a guy showed up.  A guy wearing a Glock jacket.

I struck up a conversation, and it turns out that he's in Glock's marketing department.  We had a long and very interesting conversation.  Glock's Smyrna, GA plant builds 30,000 guns a month, and is running flat out.  Their two Austrian plants are jointly building roughly 100,000 guna/month for the American market.*  That's about 130,000 guns a month.

They have orders in hand for 1,200,000 guns - that's nearly a year's production.  A year, running all their factories at 100% capacity.

He also mentioned that they have a very interesting set of new models that they will be introducing in June.  I actually promised not to let the cat out of the bag here (yeah, I'm being a jerk) but it has a model that I might actually consider buying.  Even though (as Kim du Toit used to say) they're ugly, plastic, and made by furreners.

* They actually import them as parts - big bags of recoil springs, etc - and assemble them here.  That saves something like $150/gun in import duty.

Also note this about the "NY boycott" thing:

Sean, yes I did. All their sales are via 17 distributors, so they actually don't sell anything to LEOs, even though they have something like 80% of State/local LEO market.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:27:50 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2013, 11:30:32 PM »

Wow. Just... wow.
Isn't it 10 million background checks? If you walk into a gun store and buy 2 or more firearms, they still run only one background check, correct?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #399 on: March 01, 2013, 02:47:03 AM »
Isn't it 10 million background checks? If you walk into a gun store and buy 2 or more firearms, they still run only one background check, correct?

Correct.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?