Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101441 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2012, 10:43:53 PM »
Just went down to The Firing Line in Aurora, CO. Their AR section was bare. Their semi-auto consignment racks were bare. The case that contained their pocket pistols was nearly empty an there were a great many gaps in the full-sized pistol cases. Also the magazine bins had been ravaged, as expected.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2012, 11:31:18 PM »
I REALLY want an AR-57. Also a PS90.

I could probably stretch our finances a little to get the AR, lower, etc...

However, given how nuts everything is right now, I'm going to take a different tack:

I'm going to purchase more ammo for my Garand, my Mosin, and more supplies for reloading my 6.8 SPC. Maybe a few more mags for the 6.8.

Shore up what I have rather than try to expand and then deal with not enough ammo for many guns if the focus of this attack is on the ammo, rather than the guns.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »
I was at my LGS around 3PM yesterday buying a lower and it was a complete zoo.  I was there all of 30 minutes and watched 8 AR-15's and 1 su-16 go out the door.  They were complaining about NICS checks being slow and when they finally would get through they would batch about 10 sales with the rep on the phone.  The counter guy almost cried with happiness when I had my CCW and he could skip NICS for my lower.

They did have a lot of stock left, they had just taken a big shipment of DPMS 16" carbines the week before.  They also had a huge bin of USGI magazines. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:08:36 PM by 41magsnub »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »
 They were complaining about NICS checks being slow and when they finally would get through they would batch about 10 sales with the rep on the phone.  

Slow?  I'm surprised the little 486 box that has to be what they run that on didn't totally melt down from the load.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
Run on guns, mags, and ammo... confirmed.

During lunch I went by the gun shop where I worked earlier this year.  He usually keeps 75-100 AR platforms in stock.  Today he had six.  Lowers?  Less than a dozen.  XM855 and 193 5.56 ammo?  None.  AR mags?  Nada.  Keep in mind that he buys P-Mags by the hundreds and 5.56 in multiple-pallet shipments.  The ammo and mags he's sold in the last week represents about two regular months worth of product.

They said yesterday was the biggest day in the history of the store.  They had people walking buying three and four ARs at a time with no concern about brand or accessories, just grabbing the first ones they came to on the rack.

Oh, those six ARs I mentioned being on the rack?  Two customers were filling out paperwork on them when I left.  He expects to be completely sold out by the end of the day.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:53:24 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
Much of the spike in gun, ammo and accessory sales could be just newbies finally getting into the game but there may be an even deeper level of activity going on.  

So is there any way to get even a casual sense of if there has been an increase in the sale of how-to-build guns\make ammo books, milling equipment,  raw materials like billets of aluminum or steel (I would also include basic reloading supplies) etc? Because that would show a clearer understanding of what may be about to happen. And therefore what needs to happen.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
So, forgot to mention, yesterday at closing time the guys at the local shop near me stated the NICS wait, on the automated computer system, was approaching 28 hours.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
While I really shouldn't, I'm seriously considering buying something in either 5.56 or .223.  Will have to wait until after Christmas unfortunately, sure hope there's something available then....

I've wanted one for decades, this seems like the best time to get one while it's still possible.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
So, forgot to mention, yesterday at closing time the guys at the local shop near me stated the NICS wait, on the automated computer system, was approaching 28 hours.

28 hours? Twenty-eight? !!!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »
While I really shouldn't, I'm seriously considering buying something in either 5.56 or .223.  Will have to wait until after Christmas unfortunately, sure hope there's something available then....

I've wanted one for decades, this seems like the best time to get one while it's still possible.

If those are your choices, go with the 5.56 if you can. You can run .223 in 5.56, but you shouldn't run 5.56 in .223.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2012, 09:01:21 PM »
Yeah I was hoping to get more mags.....not so much!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2012, 09:02:55 PM »
I am so glad I made my last big gun order a month ago, and a big ammo order early last week, I think I could resell and make like $2k in a weeks worth of "work".

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2012, 09:08:28 PM »
If those are your choices, go with the 5.56 if you can. You can run .223 in 5.56, but you shouldn't run 5.56 in .223.

Good to know.  Thanks!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2012, 09:52:35 PM »

I'm kind of in the same camp.  At a bare minimum I feel the sudden urge to buy up a bunch of standard cap mags for the guns I already have.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-pmag-polymer-magazine-10-pak-prod42583.aspx

Due to unprecedented demand levels Magpul is focusing their efforts on producing BLACK PMAGs for the foreseeable future. To expedite delivery of your order, we currently are only accepting additional backorders for BLACK 30 and 20 round PMAGs.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Frank Castle

• friend
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:31:51 PM by AZtoy »

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2012, 06:21:10 AM »
Not so gay anymore eh?  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2012, 07:19:40 AM »
Not so gay anymore eh?  :lol:

Oh no, it's still gay. But he's just "experimenting."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »
Oh no, it's still gay. But he's just "experimenting."

He's "prison gay".

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2012, 09:26:20 AM »

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
DUE TO A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN SALES VOLUME, WE HAVE BEEN FORCED TO TEMPORARILY SUSPEND ONLINE ORDERS. ORDERS ALREADY PLACED MAY TAKE 5-8 DAYS TO PROCESS. MAGAZINE QUANTITIES ARE VERY LIMITED & PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME!
Unfortunately there will be some orders that cannot be fulfilled due to inventory shortages. We Sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are doing our best to fill all orders that we can.
YOU MAY CALL 800-588-9500 TO PLACE AN ORDER. OUR PHONES HAVE BEEN OVERWHELMED AS WELL AND YOU MAY EXPERIENCE DELAYS IN GETTING THROUGH!
All employees are coming in early and staying late to process orders as fast as we can. CDNN Appreciates Your Patience and Continued Business!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

• friend
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
I noticed a lack of ammo before this month in specific calibers/grains.  It's pretty much totally gone now.  Haven't checked on mags and such yet.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
To think I felt bad about some of the mags I'm getting for Christmas were "overpriced" by $4-5 because my immediate family do it all through Amazon...
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »
Ammo case at the Wal-mart in Glen Ellyn, is pretty bare...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »
I dropped by a couple gun shops in the big city on my way to pick up #1 son coming in from the airport.  These are places I don't get to more than two or three times a year normally.

Both had good stock, and neither seemed to be excessively overpriced, compared to what gun related product normally is at retail around here. Both had EBRs and lots of handguns. Both were busy, but not insanely so.  That could be pre-Christmas shopping more than AWB panic.  One store had a "CCW sale" on small handguns.

The one place had half a box of Pmags, $19 each, "limit one". Ammo in that store was "limit two".  One counter guy said their inventory was down about 40%.

Oh, yeah.  Same place had a new in box Lee Classic Turret on their sale table, for $75.  I hemmed and hawed for a few minutes, then grabbed it.  Pricewise it looks like I did good.  Initial impression is that this thing is well constructed and very solid, Maybe now I can move away from the Pro 1000 for volume production.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:45:09 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Was at the shop today. Not as much of a rush busy still busier then usual, even for this time of year. Plenty of rifles, shotguns, and handguns left but all out of anything remotely resembling an eeeeevil black rifle was gone except for three .22 AR's. Still had a reasonable amount of ammo except for .223.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.