Author Topic: Grillz? This Iowa Boy is behind the times...  (Read 3139 times)

Azrael256

• friend
Grillz? This Iowa Boy is behind the times...
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 10:57:36 PM »
know-what-I'm-sayin?
Yup.  My grandparents used to use a phrase: "land poor."  They used it to describe farmers who had purchased far more land than they could farm.  The mortgage payment on the land, most of which was unused, was so high that they could barely eat.  It's the same concept.  People buy lots of jewelry, cars, and other "bling" items, and live in a hovel eating spam and crackers.  Rather than actually improving their living conditions, they improve the perception of their living conditions.  If you do this enough, you'll fool yourself.

I disagree with the source of the problem.  I think black culture learned it from white culture.  Either that, or it's just something people tend to do, with the most notable results occuring in poorer groups.  Having lived in, and extensively visited a few areas that really do qualify as impoverished, I have observed this phenomenon in all races and in classes where I would not have expected to find it.  Being poor in something seems to me to be part of an overall poverty mentality.  I have seen people who live in a hovel of a trailer in the middle of nowhere with tens of thousands of dollars invested in barely used tools, guns, cars, etc., but not a dime spent on the leaky roof.  I have actually heard people say "If I had an X, then I would be in better shape," when X has absolutely nothing to do with the person's trade, profession, or style of living.  Even worse, I have heard people say the same thing about an item that really would improve their lives, finally acquiring it, only to "need" the next thing without utilizing the last.

In contrast, I have seen some people who I might have thought were "object poor" who were actively engaged in improving their lives.  Their lives were more difficult because of their lust for things, but they were making headway.  These people were the exception.  I have yet to hear someone of my age group or my parents' say "Well, I have all of X I need, so it's time to put it to good use making my life better."  My grandparents say it all the time, and they buy a new car every decade in cash.

I think we, as a group, are becoming more aware of this problem because its invasion of white, middle-class culture is expanding so rapidly and becoming such a burden.  (I'm basing this on what I believe is an accurate assumption: that most of us are considered middle class)  We are becoming more financially unbalanced as our willingness to carry debt increases.  It doesn't have to be farmland or dental jewelry, it can easily be a $250,000 house, two new cars, and a country club membership.  Instead of evaluating a purchase, understanding credit, and developing a plan to deal with our debts in short order, we only concern ourselves with whether the monthly payment exceeds our paycheck.  The glorification, and therefore the pursuit, of the "bling" culture is just a part of it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2006, 03:10:00 AM »
Perhaps so.  I want to make clear that I was proposing the problem as an after-effect of enslavement, not as evidence of racial inferiority.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

...has left the building.

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2006, 08:36:10 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Antibubba, H2L, you guys are killin' me!  Can you perform at my nephew's bar mitzvah?  

Quote from: Daniel Flory
you'll see a guy with a $500 grill in his mouth "who be st8 pimpin" passing a guy like one of my clients who is worth $25,000,000 wearing an untucked polo and khakis.
I think this is a part of the unfortunate side of Black American culture, which has a lot of influence on young white people these days.  In The Souls of Black Folk, DuBois told the story of staying for the night in a sharecropper's cabin.  These people were still little more than slaves, and had very little idea how to use what little money they had.  In the midst of their threadbare hovel, they had a very fancy clock on the mantel, for which they had saved their money.  Dubois interprets this as an attempt to feel rich by owning what we might call "bling," when they could have been less poor by putting that money to better use.  I may be out on a limb here, but I think that same tendency is rampant in the hip-hop culture.  The cars, the clothes, the ho's, the bling, the grills.  OK, not the ho's so much, but it flowed, know-what-I'm-sayin?
Bingo! And thank you very much for that example. Since I am a minority, but not black, I only am partially protected when I express negative criticism of black culture. But your example provides me with a source to cite the problem seen through the eyes of the single best viewer of the "black condition", W.E.B. DuBois.

You're right, that tendency is a huge part of the mainstream hip-hop culture. The problem is, that the "talented tenth" that DuBois spoke of is completely drowned out.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2006, 09:23:03 AM »
So in Georgia, are the white boys with grillz mounting little gold winches on them?  Cuz if they aren't, then they aren't being authentic.  Wink
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006, 09:47:13 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba
So in Georgia, are the white boys with grillz mounting little gold winches on them?  Cuz if they aren't, then they aren't being authentic.  Wink
And a pair of K-40 CB antennas topped with a rebel flag.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2006, 02:55:48 PM »
The cars, the clothes, the ho's, the bling, the grills.  OK, not the ho's so much, but it flowed, know-what-I'm-sayin?
No, "ho" is appropriate too, because it implies a "bought" woman-one who's primary concern is the apparent wealth of the man (and his willingness to spend it on her).  The old term would be "gold digger".  It used to be an insult, though, not a legitimate goal.  Sad
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 09:06:07 PM »
I had my ears gauged out to .25"

I got bored with it and quit.

Grillz just crack me up. I'm waiting for someone to just chrome plate their entire head.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 08:15:52 AM »
Quote from: wingnutx
I'm waiting for someone to just chrome plate their entire head.
VOILA!
D. R. ZINN