Author Topic: Obama throwing in the towel?  (Read 2369 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Obama throwing in the towel?
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »
Is by putting Biden the front man for the task force throwing in the towel and setting Biden up to be the fall guy when the "AWB" falls on its face?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Frank Castle

• friend
Re: Obama throwing in the towel?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
What does Obama get with a AWB ? Nothing

If a the AWB fails , he can blame the evil gun loving Republicans.......

I think this could help Democratic Party.  [barf]

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »
What does Obama get with a AWB ? Nothing

If a the AWB fails , he can blame the evil gun loving Republicans.......

I think this could help Democratic Party.  [barf]

If he wins, he gets a political victory which will be lauded globally as part of his "legacy". And liberal coalition groups (gays/women/minorities) may be more inclined to forgive his being less active in pursuing their pet policy goals.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »
If he wins, the Democrats may suffer worse in 2014 than they did in 1994. Yes, public emotions are high right now, but it would take the better part of a year to get a ban passed. By then the NRA would have mobilized their membership and probably recruited a lot more.

I realize I'm going back and forth on this, but I think Obama would be gambling big time pushing for a ban. If all he wants to do is put on a dog and pony show, there's other ways to do it that wouldn't risk losing control of both houses to Republicans in 2014.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
If he wins, the Democrats may suffer worse in 2014 than they did in 1994. Yes, public emotions are high right now, but it would take the better part of a year to get a ban passed. By then the NRA would have mobilized their membership and probably recruited a lot more.

I realize I'm going back and forth on this, but I think Obama would be gambling big time pushing for a ban. If all he wants to do is put on a dog and pony show, there's other ways to do it that wouldn't risk losing control of both houses to Republicans in 2014.

I don't know. Obama should never have won reelection, just based on his record. But he did. It's hard to say what Americans will vote for anymore.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:20:47 PM »

I don't know. Obama should never have won reelection, just based on his record. But he did. It's hard to say what Americans will vote for anymore.  =|

Ah, but I think 2010 showed that without Obama on the top of the ticket, the electorate is SIGNIFICANTLY different...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
Ah, but I think 2010 showed that without Obama on the top of the ticket, the electorate is SIGNIFICANTLY different...

I like you when you talk nice. Tell me again about the rabbits, George.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:51 PM »
Why go through the trouble to pass a law when he can rule by regulatory edict? Reclassify AR's & AK's as Class III, anyone?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 01:06:37 AM »
Why go through the trouble to pass a law when he can rule by regulatory edict? Reclassify AR's & AK's as Class III, anyone?....

Pssst. I think you mean Title II.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:41:30 AM »
Obama is conditioning the American electorate for what he really has in mind: national disarmament.  Such things come by steps.  Meanwhile, he has the same thing in mind for our national war machine.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 02:01:17 AM »
But wouldn't it be fairly effective for him to spend the time quietly slogging on some form of gun control, then make a push right near the election?

Assuming that the Rs can block it, he can tell the Left and MotRs "I tried, and the Ebil Republicans kept it from happening"

Might actually make it an inverse of 94 and it's aftermath that way...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 06:02:43 AM »
Pssst. I think you mean Title II.

My mistake.....thanks.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 06:12:15 AM »
Much as I hate to think it I'd say BHO can do whatever he wants as long as he has the MSM covering his back.  That goes for the whole Progressive party ...  We need an unbiased press for this country to have a chance of working.
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
...  We need an unbiased press for this country to have a chance of working.

That will never happen.  We have never had an unbiased press.  From what I have read, it was far more biased in the past.  What we need is to give up the notion that the press is capable of being unbiased and we should demand that they are up front about it.  We have plenty of sources for news and plenty of groups that fact-check the media. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 09:54:11 AM »
Just a second, let me get dressed...

[tinfoil]

OK. 

I think this can be used to disenfranchise the growing libertarian movement.

Libertarian-oriented R's are taking over the party, and Boehner and others of the old guard are threatened by this.  Frankly, Obama and the Dems have to be a bit bothered by this, too.  They can compromise and sell us all out with the blue-blood GOP, but not so much with libertarian oriented R's.  But, blue blooded GOP behavior isn't selling with the electorate.  This libertarian-streaked GOP stuff is. 

So, queue the guns/flag-burning/gheyzors.  This time, it's guns.

The blue-blood GOP will put lots of people back into the Senate and House when the electorate goes back to only seeing red/blue, dem/repub, rather than the current spectrum of "screw all you guys that want to take stuff away from me" and FSA.

It's easy to obfuscate the remaining statism of your campaign platform when you're ra-ra-ing about guns.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!