Author Topic: Want a new rifle, what to get...  (Read 6012 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Want a new rifle, what to get...
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
Ruger American Rifle in  .308....spend the credit left over to have the barrel shortened to 18" & recrowned. Add iron sights & a good-quality fixed magnification scope.

Eventually, I hope to do the same.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »
Here are my future rifle purchases maybe something in there trips your fancy.

Marlin in 444 marlin

Win Model 70 in 458WM

AR-10 in .260 Rem (basically the same as the swede)

Win Model 70 in 270 win

Win Model 70 in 338 wm

Win Model 70 in 300 wm (want a twin)

Marlin in .35 rem
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
In that case, how about something I was debating suggesting instead of .338-06, the 9.3x64mm Brenneke. Gives a good 4,300 ft/lbs of energy at muzzle with the common loadings.

If I can't find a rifle chambered thusly at Cabelas, it doesn't do me any good.  I think I'd rather get the 375H&H though, more commonly available ammo and reloading components.

How about a Tikka T3 in either the Hunter or Lite models in .30-06? There's nothing in North America that the .30-06 can't kill cleanly and quickly. Ammo can be found everywhere and the rifle is light enough to be a mountain rifle.

Not a bad choice, but not that different than my Featherweight 6.5x66. 

The Encore is still high on my list as well (light and short).  That's a very flexible and compelling platform where kids may be involved.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
How about a Sharps in .50 BMG  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 11:26:55 AM »

Hmm, I like the numbers for the Compact.  It's about the same size and weight as the 44/77.  I do wish it had iron sights.  The Compact Magnum version does, but it's 4" longer and a full pound heavier.
Chris

You want the M77 Compact, Gunsite Scout version...

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

It's the Compact, only with a removeable mag, iron sights, a forward top rail, and adjustable length of pull.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lee

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2012, 11:40:49 AM »
The only rifle that I really regret selling was a CZ 375 H&H, with the euro style stock. It was a joy to shoot...didn't beat you up like a lighter '06.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
Ruger #1S in .45-70. 

Light loads for the daughters, thumpers for yourself.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »
i have always been impressed with the variety of 30-06 loads that are in stock at any sporting goods store. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2012, 02:36:33 PM »
You want the M77 Compact, Gunsite Scout version...

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

It's the Compact, only with a removeable mag, iron sights, a forward top rail, and adjustable length of pull.

Brad

Don't like the sights and it's too heavy, otherwise, I like it.  Yeah, I'm picky. 

I might change my mind after handling it, but the numbers alone wouldn't sway me.

Ruger #1S in .45-70. 

Light loads for the daughters, thumpers for yourself.   =D

I've looked at those.  They're a bit on the heavy side. I can do the same thing with an Encore but have a more flexible platform (though not nearly as pretty).

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
7.25 lbs is heavy?

http://www.ruger.com/products/no1MediumSporter/specSheets/1327.html

Granted, the Contender Carbine is a whopping 5.4 lbs, but I'm not sure I'd want something that light in a .45-70, anyway!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
7.25 lbs is heavy?

http://www.ruger.com/products/no1MediumSporter/specSheets/1327.html

Granted, the Contender Carbine is a whopping 5.4 lbs, but I'm not sure I'd want something that light in a .45-70, anyway!

They always felt heavy in the hand.  My current rifle is probably around 8lbs with scope, but the Ruger felt heavier.  I could never figure it out either.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
The only thing I hate about the TC is that the spur on the trigger guard that you use to open the action always bites me some how.

I was hot to trot to get a TC rifle so I can have the versitility of barrel swapping until I shot a few. My friends that had them have also sold them. Even the guys who got the Encore muzzleloaders have sold them, just don't like them. The have went back to a TC Omega or Triumph.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »
Interesting.  Was there anything other than the trigger spur?  I didn't have a problem with the one on my Contender.  I sold the Contender because it didn't support many big rifle cartridges and I didn't need a single shot handgun.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »
I also have really long arms and fairly large hands, so that may have been my problem. My ape index is high at 1.087. http://www.ape-index.com/

When I get my Marlins, I'll need to get a big loop lever for them so my hand fits.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2012, 06:06:42 PM »
Don't like the sights and it's too heavy, otherwise, I like it.  Yeah, I'm picky. 

IIRC the rear sight is mounted in the factory dovetail and is easily removeable.  I believe the rail is screw-mounted into the barrel and also easily removeable.  No idea how the front sight is mounted.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »
That damn GSR is speaking to me.  Now that I know I can load up low velocity 308s with Trail Boss (I have 5lbs of the stuff), that weighs in its favor even more.  Unfortunately, it's a tad expensive compared to other 308 carbines.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 12:04:21 AM »
I love my 96/38 Swede.  What a great cartridge (6.5x55).  What a versatile cartridge that does so much and yet does not pound the shooter to death.

I like the way my CZ550 American Safari in .375H&H Mag shoots.  It is heavy enough that 270gr pills that duplicate .30-06 trajectories kick about like a .30-06 in a medium sized rifle.  And the recoil is more push than sharp.

.375 also doesn't turn game meat into a bloodshot mess the way the little magnums do.  Feel free to hunt non-large/non-dangerous game to get a feel for it without turning them inside out. 

All in all, a rifle that covers a lot of ground and can be tuned with ammo to take the biggest, baddest critters walking.

My second choice would be one of those .45-70 Marlin lever guns with a 16"-18" bbl.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 12:08:40 AM »
.375 also doesn't turn game meat into a bloodshot mess the way the little magnums do.  Feel free to hunt non-large/non-dangerous game to get a feel for it without turning them inside out. 

I've never had that problem with my 300wm and I shoot 165g hornady sst bullets at 3100fps. 

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 02:04:08 PM »
I have given the 375H&H some thought, but I don't know that it'll ever be useful for the hunting I do.
I loaded Speer 235gr semi-spitzers to about 2350, and they shot well.  I even loaded some 220gr flat points designed for .375 Winchester.  Iirc, they strung a little bit vertically, easily the worst accuracy I ever got outta that gun.  They went ~3MOA  :cool:.  You could hunt deer with it.  Might give the guy I sold it to a call.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »
I like the way my CZ550 American Safari in .375H&H Mag shoots.  It is heavy enough that 270gr pills that duplicate .30-06 trajectories kick about like a .30-06 in a medium sized rifle.  And the recoil is more push than sharp.

I *want* a 375H&H for no good reason, but it just doesn't make sense for my actual hunting needs.  I hunt in the Appalachian mountains.  Nothing here needs that much power, but I'll certainly feel the weight while climbing.

The more I think about it, the more a 308 makes sense.  One of the thoughts always in the back of my mind is what my girls may do with my guns after I'm gone.  While I reload for everything, they may not.  Being able to buy ammo at the store is a big deal.  I was at Walmart last night.  308 was among the cheapest rifle calibers (223 and 30-30 being the cheapest).  Even now, there was *some* 308 in stock.  Also, looking at the reloading data, I can load low power rounds with Trail Boss for fun or training.  It just looks like a better choice for a gun that may be owned by a non-reloading lady one day.

As for the specific platform, I got to fondle the Ruger GSR yesterday.  I like it.  It comes up to the shoulder nicely and the trigger isn't too bad (a bit of creep, but smooth and not too heavy).  It's a good 3" shorter than my Winchester, about the same weight without scope, and can hold up to 10 rounds (or a more traditional 4 via a shorty polymer mag that doesn't stick out).  I can use the open sights (ghost ring, not my preferred, but they'll work) or a forward mounted red dot for brush hunting.  I'll leave the scoped rifle duties to the Winchester.  The adjustable LOP will be handy for growing kids.  It wasn't what I had in mind when I started looking, but I think it'll be a nice fit.  I can even fit a can to it if I decided to get one. :D

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »
All good points.  Also, load data with Trail Boss for .308win sounds nifty.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
re Trail Boss...

About 10gr with a 110-125gr Varmint bullet would make a nice home defense round. :D

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 10:59:18 AM »
On the GSR's adjustable LOP, I left my Compact as a shorty by keeping the scope all the way forward in the rings.  No prob with eye relief.  The small size make it darn near the perfect pickup gun.  You're not constantly wrestling with it trying to get in/out of the truck.

Brad
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 12:24:40 PM »
Eye relief isn't the issue for me, if the LOP is too short, I feel cramped.  I have relatively long arms.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 12:34:18 PM »
Regarding the truck gun concept, I had the same idea.  While I can't have a "full time" truck gun living this close to MD and DC, having a more portable rifle for when I'm camping in the National Forest would be nice.

Also found these: http://www.alphaindmfg.com./store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

That's a shorter double stack 10rnd magazine for the GSR.  It's about the same length as the single stack 5 rounder.

Chris