Author Topic: Planetary life and lunar life  (Read 4268 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Planetary life and lunar life
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »
nobody brought up the impact of extreme tides, from being a satelite to the larger planet?  i would think the devolopment of life would be greatly different, assuming both planets had similar structures otherwise.

also, i feel that it is highly unlkely for the devolpment of 2 liveable planetary systems within the "grow zone" of one star.  depending on the amount of time it took life to evolve, the planets would likely merge into one before intelligence was observed.
. If you have a gas giant in the grow zone, it makes it easier. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 10:29:49 PM »
Habitable systems, for one.  I bet they are not as common as the elements in the periodic table.  If'n we go out and holler, "Hey, we are over HERE!" we have told another SFS the location of a habitable planet.

Well, that also depends. We don't know if Earth is a good representation of what is required for intelligent life, since we only have a sample size of one. It may be the norm, or we may be freaks of nature when compared to other life forms. We do know that life can live outside the normal conditions that can support humans, so it's quite possible that an alien species may not find Earth inhabitable any more than we'd find Venus a great place to live.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 11:23:40 PM »
Well, that also depends. We don't know if Earth is a good representation of what is required for intelligent life, since we only have a sample size of one. It may be the norm, or we may be freaks of nature when compared to other life forms. We do know that life can live outside the normal conditions that can support humans, so it's quite possible that an alien species may not find Earth inhabitable any more than we'd find Venus a great place to live.

True, sample size of one. 

OTOH, I do think that any biologically-based SFS will require something similar.  For example, outside of incorporeal beings, a volcanically active moon with almost zero atmo is a poor candidate to develop a SFS. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
Yeah, cause if you send only a small group, all it would take is a 70 year old battleship and some ocean buoys to ruin your trip. 

Especially if it's a Japanese battleship.....that can fly!....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 01:33:40 AM »
Resource competition? What possible resource is there to fight another species over when there are thousands of uninhabited systems full of every element in Mendeleev's table?

Some moons may consist of a more flavorful cheese than other moons.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »
As far as the number of habitable planets, that research looking at other stars is finding evidence that stars with planets and even planets in or near the life zone are more common than we thought.  Until we travel to other systems, we really can't know what is out there. 

As far as hiding from alien species, I saw one show talking about research trying to differentiate light spectrum when looking at other stars.  They pointed out that anyone looking at earth who could do that would see that we have clouds and water and atmospheric oxygen, regardless of whether or not they detected us. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend