Author Topic: Cast Iron Skillets  (Read 9112 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Cast Iron Skillets
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 09:54:21 PM »
Since I don't have the patience to search Goodwill or garage sales, I ordered a Lodge from Amazon. :)

I will be interested in comparing quality with my current Lodge skillet, which is around 15 years old. I checked out the negative Amazon reviews, and there were quite a few regarding cracks forming and an uneven cooking service, and that newer skillets were not as heavy as the old Lodge skillets. I reckon we'll see in a couple of days.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 07:24:50 AM »
"Seasoning is the coating of polymerized oil and fat that covers the iron and gives it the characteristic black color. (Raw cast iron is gray, not black.)"

If you've got a nasty, sticky layer of polymerized oil on your cast iron, you're a couple of days away from a RANCID layer of nasty, sticky polymerized oil on your cast iron.

A properly seasoned cast iron pan will be black, but it will be glossy and smooth and hard.

A proper seasoning layer beings with oil or grease, which is then heated to the point where the oil molecules being to unravel. The hydrogen atoms burn off in the form of smoke, leaving a thin layer of carbon atoms behind. It's that layer of carbon atoms that provides the magical non-stick qualities to cast iron (or, for that matter, any steel).

That layer of carbon atoms is amazingly durable. It can withstand soap and hot water, it can withstand long, low simmers of tomato sauce or other acidic foods, it can stand boiling a soup or stew for hours. It can even withstand light abrasion from metal utensils.

What it can't stand, though, is high heat in an empty, dry pan. That will burn the carbon layer off, leaving you with raw, unseasoned cast iron.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 07:25:29 AM »
Seasoning is the coating of polymerized oil and fat that covers the iron and gives it the characteristic black color. (Raw cast iron is gray, not black.)

It prevents corrosion and provides the non-stick feature.

Overly aggressive cleaning will remove it, allowing rust and stuck food when cooking. You should just scrub it gently with warm water and a washrag or soft bristle brush until all the food is gone, but it's still oily. For paranoid germaphobes or neat-freaks, put it in a 350 degree oven for an hour or so. That will dry out the oil, baking it into the seasoning, and leave it more than sterile.
Either it was preseasoned or how I use it seasons it just fine.  I only scrub with a plastic brush.  It is not bare metal or anything.  It is still noticeably oily after cleaning.  I would have a hard time with not applying a bit of soap and water for cleaning.  Frying fatty meats helps I think.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
Interestingly my wife got a set of Lodge skillets for Christmas from a friend. I'll report back with how they work out and the relative quality between the sizes.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
The only thing I don't like about new lodge cast iron is that the surface is all bumpy, I'm still trying to get a 13.5" skillet mirror smooth, slowly happening over a year since I got it.

I have a single burner griddle with the same problem, but it will take longer to get it mirror smooth since I use it very infrequently.

My 50-70 year old cast iron are all mirrror smooth.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
There is a recent invention that could help smooth out the cooking surface of your new pan. Sandpaper.
I bought a 2 burner griddle a couple of years ago. It had a rather rough "as cast" surface. A couple minutes with a 1/4 sheet finish sander had it baby butt smooth. Cleaned with non chlorinated brake cleaner then hot soap and water then I began the seasoning process.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 09:33:12 PM »
I've considered taking my Mouse Sander to my cast iron.

Chris

birdman

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
There is a recent invention that could help smooth out the cooking surface of your new pan. Sandpaper.
I bought a 2 burner griddle a couple of years ago. It had a rather rough "as cast" surface. A couple minutes with a 1/4 sheet finish sander had it baby butt smooth. Cleaned with non chlorinated brake cleaner then hot soap and water then I began the seasoning process.

Sand...paper?  You are daft my time traveling friend, surely in all this flat world there is not such a thing...otherwise, our papyrus scrolls would be useless in the library at Alexandria.

But seriously, use a coarse scotchbrite pad or a scotchbrite bristle wheel in an angle grinder instead, it won't imbed sand in the iron, same advice I use for brake pads. :)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »
The only thing I don't like about new lodge cast iron is that the surface is all bumpy, I'm still trying to get a 13.5" skillet mirror smooth, slowly happening over a year since I got it.

I have a single burner griddle with the same problem, but it will take longer to get it mirror smooth since I use it very infrequently.

My 50-70 year old cast iron are all mirror smooth.

Confirmed. Mine showed up Friday, and the surface is somewhat coarse. Otherwise I don't notice much difference in the wall thickness or quality compared to my old one. One of the Amazon reviewers said they had contacted Lodge about the bumpiness, and Lodge supposedly said they no longer have a "final finishing" machine, whatever that means.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
For a small fee, I can chuck up the bumpy Lodge pan in my mill and make it flat for you's guys...  =D

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
Tractor supply has an 80 dollar set (dutch oven, skillet, double burner flat grill) on clearance for 30 bucks
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »
Tractor supply has an 80 dollar set (dutch oven, skillet, double burner flat grill) on clearance for 30 bucks

Brand?

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »
Most interesting....

And I too noticed the rough finish of cast iron I've bought in the last few years. Not just lodge, just about every brand. I've found seasoning and reseasoning a few times to build it up smooths things out nicely.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 07:57:36 AM »
I've smoothed many a pan over the years with valve grinding compound and a rotary disk on an electric drill
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
It's "red stone" pre seasoned
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »
It's "red stone" pre seasoned

Never heard of that brand and google didn't offer much info either.

Uranus is a gas giant.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »
woot! has a 12" Lodge skillet for $24.99. Is that a good price?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »
woot! has a 12" Lodge skillet for $24.99. Is that a good price?

Amazon has them for $18.99, free shipping if you spend $25 or more.

Uranus is a gas giant.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »
Amazon has them for $18.99, free shipping if you spend $25 or more.

Thanks.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
For a small fee, I can chuck up the bumpy Lodge pan in my mill and make it flat for you's guys...  =D

I actually did that with a tractor supply cast iron skillet.

Used a clamping kit to secure it to the table, and hit it with a fly cutter.

The next day, I used flax seed oil to season it.  It's worked out okay, although I really needed to use a ball end mill to transition from my machined surface into the cast surface.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »
here's a lodge "combo cooker that features a 10" 3 qt fryer with a frying pan for a lid.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:22 AM »
here's a lodge "combo cooker that features a 10" 3 qt fryer with a frying pan for a lid.

I don't see it.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »
So does your bacon taste better fried on a smooth surface rather than one that is a little rough?  I am a bit confused by all the fuss over it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
Garage sales and thrift shops are your friend.  An old Wagner or Griswold can be had for almost nothing, especially if it happens to be a little bit crusty (easily removed with oven cleaner).  Rusty can be a pain unless you own a blasting cabinet or have access to one.  Just remember to season it after media blasting.

Brad

Rusty is easy to take care of. I use a brass wire brush on my drill to clean old cast iron. Strips everything off it. I then wash it off in water, dry it, oil it with vegetable oil and in the oven to reseason. I get cast iron for a few dollars each that way. People think it's ruined or too hard to clean and let it go for next to nothing.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »
So does your bacon taste better fried on a smooth surface rather than one that is a little rough?  I am a bit confused by all the fuss over it. 

Smooth seems to have a better non stick surface for making over easy eggs and pancakes. Easier to slide the spatula across the bottom of the pan. I can dump eggs out of my old smooth 8" skillet right onto the plate.

For bacon this doesn't seem to matter.

Uranus is a gas giant.