Author Topic: Truck Jump Seat??  (Read 2846 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Truck Jump Seat??
« on: January 07, 2013, 11:57:33 PM »
So, as most of you know, kid #4 is on it's way in Casa de Sump. However, one thing we do not have in our inventory is a 6 (or greater) seat vehicle. Obviously once the new little one is born that will mean that we cannot all go somewhere together in one vehicle unless something changes. Current fleet is a '97 Camry and an '06 Ram.

One option, of course, is to buy another vehicle, either a minivan, or an SUV/crossover with 3 rows. Problem there is cost. Even factoring in the possibility of negotiating the price down we couldn't find anything at a price we're willing to entertain ($5-10k or so) that isn't basically already worn out. I see little point in spending that much for a car that won't last more than a couple/three more years if we're lucky. We're Dave Ramsey fans, so going out an borrowing the money for a car isn't going to happen.

So, trying to think outside the box a little we were figuring that it might make sense to replace the center console in my truck ('06 Ram Mega Cab) with a jump seat. Seems like a reasonable idea at first. But so far I haven't been able to find anything that gives anything more than a lap belt for a center seat like that. I refuse to put one of my kids in a front seat with just a lap belt. Back seat would be bad enough, but their head would be sure to smack the dash in any accident with just a lap belt up front. I needed a couple hundred stitches in my forehead when I was 16 after an accident when I was in the back seat with just a lap belt.

So, anyone know of a source for a jump seat to replace the center console with a 3 (or even better 5) point harness?

Anyone have other creative solutions (that are legal, moral and responsible)?
Formerly sumpnz

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Truck Jump Seat??
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »
Any of your kiddos in car seats that can be secured down with a lap belt, but have 5-point harnesses built in?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:02:54 AM »
Not legal to have even a booster in the front seat, never mind a full blown car seat.

Only exception to that is vehicles that have no 2nd row at all.

But to answer the question, 1 is no longer even using a booster, 1 is in a booster, 1 is in a rear facing seat for a little longer (once he is ~35lbs he will be in a forward facing car seat), and 1 will be in a rear facing seat once born.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:06:35 AM by sumpnz »
Formerly sumpnz

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:07:23 AM »
Divorce wife, sell truck, buy motorcycle, get 22 year old girlfriend.  Problem solved. [popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:08:57 AM »
Any fullsize vans with enough seats available in your area?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »
Any fullsize vans with enough seats available in your area?

For stupid prices?  Yes.
Formerly sumpnz

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
Not legal to have even a booster in the front seat, never mind a full blown car seat.

Only exception to that is vehicles that have no 2nd row at all.

Ah!  I've always seen car seats in the middle of bench seats in truck cabs, but can't say that I ever noticed if any of them had second rows or not.  Good to know.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
Sounds like you are going to have to take a loan out to get a vehicle to be legal will all the kiddos.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »
I hate to say it, but having that many kids means you're going to need one of those expensive vans.  We only have two kids and having only a back seat was tough when both were in car seats (pretty much meant two vehicles when there were more people than just the 4 of us).

What is worse, taking on some debt to buy a good vehicle that meets your needs and will last longer than the payments, buying something for cash that won't give you a reasonable life, driving two vehicles everywhere, or always leaving someone (parent and a child or two) at home?

I just ran the payment tool for a Kia Sedona.  Those are pretty decent vans (I'd have one except we found a good deal on our Odyssey) and have a 10yr/100k mile drivetrain warranty.  With no frills, 3.5% interest (reasonable, can possibly get lower), and a $7500 down payment (you said you'd pay $5k-$10k), that's $330/month for 5 years.  If you drive it 20k miles per year, your warranty will last the life of the payment schedule, but you'll have a van that can accommodate everyone with some space to spare.

Chris

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »
Make the wife (or you) ride in the center in the jump seat, oldest kid gets shotgun.  The rest in the 2nd row in booster or child seats as appropriate.

Otherwise...  I'm with mtnbiker.  You need a new rig.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:49:52 AM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/3530878889.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/3530576443.html

First one doesn't list miles.  At that price I would bet 150-180k miles.

Second one isn't too bad on paper.  But I used to live near that dealer and drove past it many times.  Not sure I'd buy a stick of gum from them.
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »
It was sure fun back when our twins were little and all we had was a single cab bench seat pickup  :lol:

Ended up selling the pickup/camper and buying a Suburban.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
First one doesn't list miles.  At that price I would bet 150-180k miles.

Second one isn't too bad on paper.  But I used to live near that dealer and drove past it many times.  Not sure I'd buy a stick of gum from them.

1st one has 109k miles, its right in the ad.

Well take the 2nd one for a test drive, might be worth doing that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:23:40 AM »
It was sure fun back when our twins were little and all we had was a single cab bench seat pickup  :lol:

SWMBO sat in the bed of the truck? :D

Chris

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 11:23:52 AM »
1st one has 109k miles, its right in the ad.

Well take the 2nd one for a test drive, might be worth doing that.

Couldn't see that on my phone.

Waiting for a bonus from work (for passing the P.E. exam) and the tax refund before I can do anything.
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »
Don't buy the Chevy/GM minivan (believe me you don't want it). The Chevy Astro/GM Safari, on the other hand, are good vehicles, we've had a few in the family (633k on one, 250k on the other, no issues with either beyond normal replacements of brakes/alternators/water pumps/fuel pumps)

Personally in your case I'd look an early 2000s Suburban. Dad ha a '99 that gets 17-19MPG, and they aren't horribly expensive. Get the 5.7 engine. Dad brought his with 105k on the odo (don't think of 100k is "worn out", it's far from it) and he's up to 230k with no issues)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
Trade/sell one of the vehicles plus cash to buy the minivan.

Minivans aren't terrible fuel economy, they are about the same as a mid size SUV but have a lot more capacity.

There are few vehicles with 3rd row seat, I've been looking myself. For pure budget, I think a used Mazda5 is going to be the best bet.

Mazda5
About the size as a the original minivan, much smaller than the modern "mini"van. Fuel economy is about equal to a small suv or large full size car. Pricing was targeted for the budget minded ($20k new) with good fuel economy. These have been out for a while, so a good deal used model should be obtainable, especially since the sales success was mediocre. Also available as a manual.

2013 Outlander
Cramped 3rd row, might be ok for kids. 3rd row is only offered in the new 2013 models. Fuel economy is typical for mid and small size suvs. Pricing is reasonable cheap (for a new car).

Highlander & Highlander Hybrid
Full size suv, decent 3rd row. Base model price is on the high end for a suv, but above average full size suv fuel consumption. Hybrid model is very expensive but get fuel economy near a mid/small suv.

Or just get a Sienna or Odyssey. Expensive, mediocre fuel economy, but it hauls and trailers.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 12:32:16 PM »
Re: Odyssey...

I LOVE ours.  It drives great, more car than van.  It's comfortable as well.

Gas mileage sucks.  We bought ours with 35k on the odo and it now has 85k.  Around town is 14-16mpg and highway is 19-24 (usually 22ish).  If not for the gas mileage, I'd gladly get a 2nd one as a DD, but I can't have two vehicles sucking down gas like that.

We were visiting my folks down in Mobile March, 2011.  We decided to take road trip to Pensacola, FL.  The van easily carried me, SWMBO, two kids in car seats, my parents, and my brother comfortably.  We still had room for a cooler, fishing gear, chairs, and beach toys for the kids.  We ran 75-80mph down the interstate.  Truly an excellent family trip vehicle.

With the rear seats folded down, it'll carry an insane amount of cargo, much more than my 4Runner.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »
SWMBO sat in the bed of the truck? :D

Chris

No it was just cozy.

Twins were in one seat belt together.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »
Trade/sell one of the vehicles plus cash to buy the minivan.

This.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
If you can find a Chrysler Town & Country van (with AWD and quad seating preferred) in the 1996-1999 window, with even vaguely reasonable miles on it, that's a good car.

We drove one we bought new in 1997, and another (1998) that we bought used.  Dumbest thing we ever did was talk ourselves into trading that '98 minivan in for our Durango.

Don't get me wrong, the '04 Durango has been very kind to us from a maintenance standpoint; we're at nearly 200K with no major work, and it gets up to 24 mpg highway (summer fuel, flat road), but the seats don't recline, the "7th seat" is poorly placed, and it simply doesn't drive as easily and smoothly as the T&C.  If we really needed the hauling capacity or off-road/bad-road capability, then maybe the Durango would be justified, but frankly the T&C drove in the snow every bit as well as the Durango does.

I've had eight years to evaluate the Durango against the seven years we had Town & Country vans, and if your driving is primarily on paved roads, the T&C is the better choice.  Four fully reclining seats, plus the third row = 7 real seats.

We got rid of ours for the usual "it's starting to cost money to maintain" reasons, only to realize later that even if any repairs cost more than half the book value of the car, we would still have been money ahead to just fix whatever came up.  The money we spent on our first year of payments on the Durango was more than it would have cost to do any repairs, reupholster, and possibly repaint the van.  (No, it didn't need painting, just using that as an example.)

Tough lesson.

I now have, as my "second car," an old 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5-speed manual transmission (only available in the Grands for years 1993-1995).  It's gonna cost me maybe 10K to restore it, and I will still be way ahead on cost, compared to buying one of the newer models.

I've tried to teach both of my younger kids that every car -- new or not -- costs a certain amount monthly to maintain, and that if you set aside whatever that amount is (like $150 or $200) every month in a coffee can, when the car breaks (which it will) you will always have the funds to put it back on the road.  I told them both, "if you can't afford to put aside $150 a month in addition to your car payment, you can't afford that car."  My son learned it, my youngest daughter ... not so much.

Oh, and Dave Ramsey rocks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:57:36 PM by ArfinGreebly »
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
We have a third-row SUV and it's nice to have the optional seats, but if you need them all the time, it's not so nice.  Reason being that then the third row is deployed, the cargo space is very minimal
Charles Babbage

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 01:45:25 AM »
The biggest problem with selling the truck to buy something (or 2 somethings) else is that in WA, even in a private party sale, you have to pay sales taxes of nearly 10% when you register the car.  If I spent around $1000 fixing a few things and detailing/buffing the truck, I think I could sell it for $20k.  That leaves us with, really, $18k to play with.  I need a truck of some sort, and SWMBO won't drive anything like a Suburban no matter what arguements I use.  So even I went all the way down to a $5k truck, that leaves $13k for a minivan.  That could be done, but we'd have to assume the cash we're putting away right now, less that $1000 to spiff up the truck, will be needed for repairs on those 2 vehicles over the next few years.  That just seems like a lot of bother and expense for little real benefit.

This is why I wanted to see if a jump seat with a 3-5pt harness could be put into the truck in place of the console.
Formerly sumpnz

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »
How's about searching junk yards for your make/model truck...that came with a front bench seat?  And then installing it.  Likely less than $1000 all told.

3+3=6. 

Seating like so:
AkA
kkk

God intended for full-sized pickup trucks to have bench seats.  And for kids or dogs to ride in the middle of the front one.  All these bucket seats are of the Devil, as you have found.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton