Author Topic: Need Help Crafting Letter to Congresspeople  (Read 2065 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Need Help Crafting Letter to Congresspeople
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »
Okay, I want to draft a letter to my 2 senators and 1 house rep, but I don't have any clue where to start.  I know some of you have crafted one already, care to share?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Need Help Crafting Letter to Congresspeople
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
"If you dare vote for any gun control ever I will never vote for you again, and I will tell every possible person I meet in your district not to vote for you.  I will work tirelessly for your next opponent to ensure your defeat."
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
On the off chance they'll care, point out that they, and other govt. officials, are protected by "assault weapons." You just want to protect your loved ones the same way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
This:

"If you dare vote for any gun control ever I will never vote for you again, and I will tell every possible person I meet in your district not to vote for you.  I will work tirelessly for your next opponent to ensure your defeat."

and

this:
On the off chance they'll care, point out that they, and other govt. officials, are protected by "assault weapons." You just want to protect your loved ones the same way.

I don't see much need for anything else.  I'm not interested in trying to logically change their mind, just let them know they'll have someone working towards their defeat if they vote for gun control.  

Chris

Unisaw

• friend
Feedback requested: letter to elected officials
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
I would appreciate your feedback on the following short message that I am going to send to my elected representatives using the Congress.org service.  This is a general message -- more specific messages will be sent with respect to specific legislation.

"I urge you to oppose gun control legislation currently being proposed for the following reasons:
1) Scientific studies have shown that gun control is ineffective.
2) The rights of tens of millions of responsible gun owners should not be infringed due to the actions of criminals and the mentally ill.
3) Gun control legislation is based on fear and ignorance of the legitimate uses of firearms.
4) A world in which responsible people cannot effectively defend themselves is a world in which size, strength, aggression, and sheer numbers are almost always decisive."

What do you think?
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Feedback requested: letter to elected officials
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »
Congresscritters don't care what you think, won't read what you write, and are not liable to change their minds.

All that matters is votes. So a simple "I'm a registered voter in your district, and if you support any additional gun control measures I will actively donate my time and money to ensure you are defeated in either the primary or general elections" would do just fine. Reasoning with them is pearls before swine.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Two topics, same outcome, merged.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
On the assumption that the best I am likely to achieve is another tick mark on a tally sheet, I opted for short and unambiguous.

"As the 2nd amendment is a restraining order against governments' power to violate the civil rights of its citizens, I strongly oppose new gun control legislation.

Please, look beyond the emotion and demagoguery following the recent shootings.  I believe that new legislation is unneeded, new legislation enacted in haste almost certain to violate my rights. "

That went to my federal and state political hacks, subject line "Civil Rights."
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:17:52 PM »
I would appreciate your feedback on the following short message that I am going to send to my elected representatives using the Congress.org service.  This is a general message -- more specific messages will be sent with respect to specific legislation.

"I urge you to oppose gun control legislation currently being proposed for the following reasons:
1) Scientific studies have shown that gun control is ineffective.
2) The rights of tens of millions of responsible gun owners should not be infringed due to the actions of criminals and the mentally ill.
3) Gun control legislation is based on fear and ignorance of the legitimate uses of firearms.
4) A world in which responsible people cannot effectively defend themselves is a world in which size, strength, aggression, and sheer numbers are almost always decisive."

What do you think?

I think this is well-worded and short enough that even an intern should be able to read it all the way through. Send it.
If we all take the attitude that no one will listen, then we might as well either start burying them or start handing them over. Tens of millions of gunowners is a pretty loud voice if we all write a letter or make a phone call.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 10:36:08 PM »
"If you dare vote for any gun control ever I will never vote for you again, and I will tell every possible person I meet in your district not to vote for you.  I will work tirelessly for your next opponent to ensure your defeat."

That's pretty much what I sent to my Representative.  He's a NRA 'A' rated democrat; the NRA endorsed him over an 'A' rated republican -- and he made noises on NPR a couple of weeks ago how he might be in favor of a ban now after-all.

I sent lengthy letters to my Senators, reminding them of the Supreme Court Heller and McDonald and Miller decisions, and that while they might not personally like the Constitution they took and oath to "support and defend" it.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 12:23:21 AM »

Please change this to "the basic human rights of all Americans..."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 07:58:20 AM »
If you vote in support of new gun control laws OR do not actively oppose any new gun control legislation I will mortgage my house to help fund the campaign of your opposition in the next election cycle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:04:19 AM »
Too bad there wasn't this much organization, desire and motivation when it comes to the fiscal aspect of government.

What if millions were dedicated to voting out of office anyone who refused to support honest accounting and balanced budgets, at all levels of government?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.  I added a sentence at the end saying I would devote my time and money to ensuring that an elected official who supported gun control would neither be re-elected nor elected to a higher office.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame