Author Topic: Who is Meeting with Biden Thursday on Guns?  (Read 4314 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Who is Meeting with Biden Thursday on Guns?
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »
I'm seeing in the news that Biden will meet with "The Gun Lobby" on Thursday. The only name I saw mentioned was the NRA. Does anyone know if any other entities (SAF, etc.) will be involved? It's sounding like not. On the other hand it appears from news stories that Biden will be meeting Wednesday with "gun safety organizations" (plural) and "gun violence victims groups" (plural).

Kinda sounding like a stacked deck. Not that it wasn't expected, but I would hope the groups on our side would set aside any differences and come together considering the stakes. If Biden only invited the NRA, then it seems to me a stink should be made of that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Who is Meeting with Biden Thursday on Guns?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
With the fact that the budget and stuff is taking front and center several experts are saying it would be three months at the earliest before any gun legislation would be brought to any floor.

What is scary is Executive Orders being put in place.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »
Most likely Joe won't shut up and it won't matter who is invited. It's all for show, not about real discussion.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »
Most likely Joe won't shut up and it won't matter who is invited. It's all for show, not about real discussion.

Yep,  the bills are already in motion.  Biden is the useful distraction.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
It's just going to be Biden lecturing the NRA about how wrong they are.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:37:50 PM »
It'll be the typical democrat version of a "compromise" bill.

In which we are lectured about how stupid and evil we are, they demand we surrender a bunch of rights, we call them crazy, they give in on a few things they didn't care about anyway and only demanded as bargaining chips, and call it a compromise.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »

This is my fear. The Republicans putting off any introduced firearms control bills, whether to sincerely combat them, or just because they want to concentrate on fiscal stuff, is a perfect opportunity for Obama to sign EOs, because he has the excuse that nothing is happening in Congress. I'm not sure the Republicans are helping us at all by putting things off. The antis aren't calming down and I really don't believe this will be a repeat of their agenda slowly moving to the backburner as it did after Aurora. Not unless there's a very major scandal or something that envelops the news media.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wacki

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 12:38:43 AM »
With the fact that the budget and stuff is taking front and center several experts are saying it would be three months at the earliest before any gun legislation would be brought to any floor.

Who are these "experts"?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »

Eh. Yes and no. EO technically can't create "new" law. Rather, it can only operate in the envelope created by Congress and defined by the Courts. That said, there IS a lot of wiggle room. Especially with imports/exports. Hence why Bush Sr administration could unilaterally ban imports of "assault rifles". Because the Constitution gives virtually unlimited power to the US government at the borders.

Contrary to the opinions of Bush Jr and Obama administrations, EOs are not laws. They are directives within existing law. There is plenty of wiggle room to cause problems. But it can be overruled by Congress or the Courts.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 09:21:20 AM »
Can EOs be undone by other presidents? Can Obama's eventual replace erase all of Obama's EOs?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »
Contrary to the opinions of Bush Jr and Obama administrations, EOs are not laws. They are directives within existing law. There is plenty of wiggle room to cause problems. But it can be overruled by Congress or the Courts.

I just did some googling and it looks like several Bush and Reagan era EOs have been rescinded by the current (or last) congress. The article linked below also alludes to Obama rescinding a Bush EO. I'm not sure how accurate the description is if only Congress can do it.

The problem of course will be if a future Congress has the will to rescind any Obama EOs involving gun control.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bush-secrecy-executive-order-rescinded-by-congress

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »
Other than import/export issues, EOs have little direct impact on John Q. Public . . . unless there is already enabling legislation in place. For example, FDR banned private ownership of gold by EO, but he couldn't issue an enforceable EO entirely on his own; he had to go at it by citing a wartime statute.

Which is not to say that they may warp and twist something entirely out of recognition the way courts have been doing with the Commerce Clause since Wickard v. Filburn.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »
The EO is the short term issue to be concerned about.  Other than imports, I don't know what additional authority the President has.  Yes, the President could cut off all imports of firearms and ammunition.  He could not dictate that some kind of record keeping be put in place for ammunition sales.  Without Congress, I don't think he can place a "sin tax" on firearms and ammunition either.

I don't think Joe Biden cares what the gun lobby has to say at this point.  He has the press on his side and that is a major element of trying to ram though some legislation.  They will work to divide the gun community and keep hammering away at "reasonable".

The whole point of these "discussions" is supposed to be to develop something that works.  If it only works on honest people, then that is simply another infringement on the 2A.  But it would take a long time for court stuff to make it's way to the Supreme Court and the damage could be done.  Add in the potential of another judge or two being placed on the Supreme Court and you have a potential problem in terms of "infringement".
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 01:07:20 PM »
Can EOs be undone by other presidents? Can Obama's eventual replace erase all of Obama's EOs?
Yes.   All he need to is issue another EO to tell govt. how HE wants it done.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »

Yep. Hank and Slingshot are correct. Imports are the only place an EO could do "real" damage. Exports are more of an industry thing, and aren't that much of a deal for the consumer firearms market. Good luck banning Boeing, Sikorsky or LockMart from exporting. Barrett, Remington, etc are mostly selling either fairly neutered weapons or to foreign police/military. They can't tax exports. Ban, yes. Tax, no.

Future presidents can unilaterally undo EOs. Congress can by normal legislation process. Courts can strike it down "unilaterally", and hold a royal rumble all the way to the SCOTUS. Because it's not law. It's interpretation and marching orders, implementing existing law.

Suppose Congress makes a law saying "Each State shall be given between two and ten turnips per year by the Department of Education."  The POTUS can write an EO giving 10 turnips to North Dakota, 9 to Florida, and two to everyone else. The next POTUS can give 10 turnips to every state in the union, or two to every state in the union. The law sets the limits, and EOs (most are fairly mundane) implement it and must play within those limits.

President doesn't have the right to change taxes, that's Congress. No new or changed excise taxes. Maybe fees, if they're not set by law. But if they're high enough, it can be taken as legally akin to a poll tax. That is, a tax on a Constitutional right. That's not kosher either.

So, unilaterally, he can have the lawyers find the fullest extent of the law and apply it. Like daily FFL audits. Or ban any import of firearms, ammo or accessories. But that's about it. So, "annoying", but not "express or indirect banning domestically" stuff.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »
The only thing that matters is the resistance.   Our job is to say the loudest NO possible.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
I suspect there is a vulnerable point in the supply chain from raw materials to manufacturing to retail.  It is amazing how IRS tax audits happen to one's enemies, very strict OSHA inspections, and strict US and State EPA enforcement. Guns aren't real great if you have no ammunition.  Ammunition is vulnerable.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
It looks like Biden has finished meeting with the antis today, and the big soundbite is EO. It will be (morbidly) interesting to see what they might end up being.

Slingshot brings up a scary thought regarding ammo and the EPA, and even transportation. I don't think it would be too difficult for them to classify it as a hazardous product that through any number of regulatory requirements, could price it through the roof. Anyone who buys black powder knows what I'm talking about.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
The video , i think we may be screwed..... :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVNO9ofOP5Q

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
The video , i think we may be screwed..... :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVNO9ofOP5Q

Actually after hearing that, I'm not so sure we are.  He acted as if he had no clue what the hell he was talking about.  Can't wait to hear what is said after tomorrow.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 08:07:31 PM »
He acted as if he had no clue what the hell he was talking about.
We already knew that...
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 09:54:12 PM »
I suspect there is a vulnerable point in the supply chain from raw materials to manufacturing to retail.  It is amazing how IRS tax audits happen to one's enemies, very strict OSHA inspections, and strict US and State EPA enforcement. Guns aren't real great if you have no ammunition.  Ammunition is vulnerable.

Sure.  But...  It is not about what they can do, it is about what we let them do.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »

Look at the EO that was put in place in 2011 that put all the additional reporting requirements on gun sales in border states. It is not constitutional, but congress has shown no interest in opposing it and it is moving very slowly through the courts.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
Don't expect the big corporations to stand up for liberty.  That is not and never was their priority.  Americans too often confuse economics--or, rather, consumerism--with civil liberties.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.