Author Topic: What happens when states pass laws to make federal laws illegal?  (Read 4660 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
http://news.yahoo.com/sheriffs-state-lawmakers-push-back-gun-control-100605550.html

Interesting article. We already knew about many of the sheriff's making it clear that they had no intention of enforcing the federal laws on firearms.  What I didn't know was how many states are introduing legislation to make the federal laws illegal in their state, and even going so far as to make it illegal for federal authorities to attempt to enforce the federal laws.  While I recognize that these laws are in many ways symbolic, it shows how bad the situation has gotten in our country, where you have a government in DC which appears to be so out of touch with what the people want, and instead appear to be dead-set on doing what they believe the people need, that this situation exists.  Don't know about you guys, but our local state reps are much more in tune with the real opinions of local people.  They walk with and talk with us all the time, since they live among us, as opposed to the fed congresscritters, who walk amongst the people from time to time, and stage big meeting events before retreating to their condos in DC.  I've met several of the state reps who come to the court and talk with us about what's going on, and what we need them to do, as opposed to the feds who probably don't know where my courthouse is.

Also interesting that the article compares the situation with laws passed by the feds outlawing slavery, and laws passed by the southern states to invalidate the federal laws...we know how that turned out.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: What happens when states pass laws to make federal laws illegal?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »
I would say the situation is more like the one preceding the American Revolution.  The Crown was dictating more than governing and the people finally had enough.  It wasn't the taxes per se, but how they were forced upon everyone without allowing their input per the legislative processes of the time.

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
he feds who probably don't know where my courthouse is.

I'm sure it's on a target list somewhere.

Some documents are timeless

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »
Wow! A Yahoo News article where the majority of comments are supportive of freedom. I don't think I've seen that before.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »
Wow! A Yahoo News article where the majority of comments are supportive of freedom. I don't think I've seen that before.

Moderators must be asleep.
"It's good, though..."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
It should be interesting. I am aware of some cases where federal officials can be charged with violating state laws and the SC has said they aren't immune from prosecution. In some of the cases, the Feds petitioned to have the cases removed to federal court, where they were dismissed. Even setting aside the possibility of arresting federal agents, the fact that local and state authorities would not cooperate with federal law enforcement in these investigations would make it difficult, to say the least.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:41:56 AM »
I think we saw a realistic demonstration of what happens during Brown vs. Board of education, when Eisenhower sent the National Guard to enforce desegregation.

I expect any resistance by the States to be responded to with force, quickly.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »
I think we saw a realistic demonstration of what happens during Brown vs. Board of education, when Eisenhower sent the National Guard to enforce desegregation.

I expect any resistance by the States to be responded to with force, quickly.

In the case of brown, the Feds believed they were doing the right thing....if its a 2A thing....I don't know if they would be as apt, at least considering the actual boots

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
In the case of brown, the Feds believed they were doing the right thing....if its a 2A thing....I don't know if they would be as apt, at least considering the actual boots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAfFkI7mrI

I don't trust police at all, in light of this video... and the precedent of Katrina.

They WILL come down on the side of the Statists.  They WILL attempt to confiscate.

NG?  I dunno.  Frankly, I'd expect the feds to fling people around in a way that puts NG on foreign war fronts, active duty Army/Marines in domestic locations and away from their own home towns, working on confiscation.  And DHS agents are morally bankrupt already.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:46:26 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAfFkI7mrI

I don't trust police at all, in light of this video... and the precedent of Katrina.

They WILL come down on the side of the Statists.  They WILL attempt to confiscate.

NG?  I dunno.  Frankly, I'd expect the feds to fling people around in a way that puts NG on foreign war fronts, active duty Army/Marines in domestic locations and away from their own home towns, working on confiscation.  And DHS agents are morally bankrupt already.

That is how the Russians did it.  Use one nationality to crush the other.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »
That is how the Russians did it.  Use one nationality to crush the other.

Frankly, I really think it's gonna be TSA VIPR teams that do the heavy lifting on confiscation.  It's gonna take fed agents to ignore federal law ('86 FOPA) with impunity.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
First of all, some of ya ignore the many police organizations, sheriffs, etc that have publically opposed gun control efforts.

Second. We have friends everywhere. Care to guess how many pro 2A folks work in just the .gov IT field alone?

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »

Second. We have friends everywhere. Care to guess how many pro 2A folks work in just the .gov IT field alone?

Or in the military/guard/PD forces expected to enforce any fed actions?

Brad
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:21:06 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
Yep.

Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 12:08:55 PM »
Just heard from a friend in a discussion about the NY ban. He's a 15-20 year vet of a local police department.

"Cops and politicians' protective details should have to abide by the same rules as the rest of America."

He's one of the good guys.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »
Just heard from a friend in a discussion about the NY ban. He's a 15-20 year vet of a local police department.

"Cops and politicians' protective details should have to abide by the same rules as the rest of America."

He's one of the good guys.

Does he take on protective detail (i.e. overtime or on contract basis) for private or political events?  When he does so, does he change his weapon away from his duty weapon(s) to regular old weapons that the rest of us can use, with appropriate mag capacity?

For all I know, your friend is in Flyover country where the issue is moot.

But until people in the LEO crowd put their money where their mouth is, it's all words.  Katrina is the reality of LEO action until proven otherwise.
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
Does he take on protective detail (i.e. overtime or on contract basis) for private or political events?  When he does so, does he change his weapon away from his duty weapon(s) to regular old weapons that the rest of us can use, with appropriate mag capacity?

For all I know, your friend is in Flyover country where the issue is moot.

But until people in the LEO crowd put their money where their mouth is, it's all words.  Katrina is the reality of LEO action until proven otherwise.

My friend is in VA. His duty weapon is legal for civilians. He doesn't do protective details for private/political events unless such duty is in the context of his job.

He's also just a stone's through from DC.

I get it. You hate cops.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »
The problem is the political elites are fully aware of how to appeal to folks baser instincts.

Giving law enforcement officers more rights and excluding them from restrictions, giving LEO's even more status is a good way of dividing them from the "mere citizens".

When the left really starts ramping up law enforcement and military vet exclusions you will know they are building their Praetorian Guard.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/18/sc-bill-would-exempt-state-militia-from-federal-gun-rules/

SC now has a bill in committee with a slightly different twist.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/18/sc-bill-would-exempt-state-militia-from-federal-gun-rules/

SC now has a bill in committee with a slightly different twist.

Nice, but does this open the door to anti governors/state governments to create "paper" militias, or redefine militia generally, as a path to alternate 2A arguments in defense against future SCOTUS challenges? (Understanding they wouldn't trump Heller, but might create a plausible window for a new SCOTUS to create new precedent.)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »
Half of the guys I work with are LEOs for one department or another and they're ALL very vocal in stating that any law that is in violation of the Constitution is invalid and will not be enforced. If the gov wants to take people's guns in GA, they're going to have to send in troops from elsewhere to do it, and they'll be met with armed resistance. I'm hearing the same thing from a lot of other areas too. There are a few gun-grabbers, of course, but they're a distinct minority.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
they're going to have to send in troops from elsewhere to do it, and they'll be met with armed resistance

It's not going to be pretty  =(

I've been saying for a decade that Iraqistan was just a training exercise  :police:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 05:30:27 AM »
It's not going to be pretty  =(

I've been saying for a decade that Iraqistan was just a training exercise  :police:

But training who?  I know a ton of Reservists and Guardsman with a lot of training on how to be an insurgent as well as intimate knowledge on how counter insurgencies are run.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 06:03:24 AM »
But training who?  I know a ton of Reservists and Guardsman with a lot of training on how to be an insurgent as well as intimate knowledge on how counter insurgencies are run.

Yeah, kinda bass ackwards in that department. And not to put too fine a point on it, in the process of teaching our troops about IED's and how to counter them, they were necessarily also training them how to construct and employ them. The idea that it was all one big training exercise for the JBT's doesn't make much sense. Based on prior polling data (including some polls that I've run myself) around 75-90% of the current military and veterans (post 9/11) are more likely to either passively or actively resist any sort of tyrannical action U.S. soil, and after 11 years of war in two countries, that's a lot of accumulated knowledge an experience in both conventional and asymetrical warfare.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 06:23:34 AM »
That was my point.

If it was a JBT training camp, it didn't go as they planned....